- Title: Accountant
- Position #: SN22-NR-007
- Location: Dakar, Senegal
- Duration: 2 years renewable
AKADEMIYA2063 is an Africa-based non-profit research organization with headquarters in Kigali, Rwanda and a regional office in Dakar, Senegal. Inspired by the ambitions of Agenda 2063 and grounded in the recognition of the central importance of strong knowledge and evidence systems, the vision of AKADEMIYA2063 is an Africa with the expertise we need for the Africa we want. This expertise must be responsive to the continent’s needs for data and analysis to ensure high-quality policy design and execution. Inclusive, evidence-informed policymaking is key to meeting the continent’s development aspirations, creating wealth, and changing livelihoods for the better.
AKADEMIYA2063’s overall mission is to create, across Africa and led from its headquarters in Rwanda, state-of-the-art technical capacities to support the efforts by the Member States of the African Union to achieve the key goals of the African Union’s Agenda 2063 of transforming national economies to boost growth and prosperity.
Following from its vision and mission, the main goal of AKADEMIYA2063 is to help meet Africa’s needs at the continental, regional and national levels in terms of data, analytics, and mutual learning for the effective implementation of Agenda 2063 and the realization of its outcomes by a critical mass of countries. AKADEMIYA2063 strives to meet its goals through programs organized under five strategic areas—policy innovation, knowledge systems, capacity creation and deployment, operational support and data management, digital products, and technology—as well as partnerships and outreach activities. For more information, visit www.akademiya2063.org.
AKADEMIYA2063 seeks a Bilingual Accountant for its regional office in Dakar (Senegal). The successful candidate will support the Office Administrator in accurately recording and reporting all financial transactions for the regional office.
Duties and responsibilities
Under the guidance and direct supervision of the Office Administrator, the successful applicant’s duties will include the following:
- Perform daily accounting activities for the Dakar office: collecting, checking, registering, and keeping track of all purchase requests, order forms, incoming & outgoing invoices, and travel claims.
- Process disbursement requests (checks, wires, online banking) following established policies and procedures in a timely manner.
- Review back-ups attached to payment requests to ensure completeness of documentation, proper authorization, and compliance to AKADEMIYA2063’ policies and procedures.
- Post all transactions into QuickBooks ensuring proper coding (Project accounts and transaction codes).
- Process Business and Travel Advances and track settlements in accordance with A2063’ policies.
- Review Expense Reports before approval by project leaders/budget holders, ensure that all relevant supporting documents have been attached /provided for.
- Track daily bank balances and bring any anticipated shortfall to the attention of management and prepare monthly bank reconciliation for review.
- Prepare and action bank instructions (Bank Letters, Bank Drafts, Transfers, Introduction/removal of signatories)
- Maintain proper financial records and files (e.g., supporting documents for expenditures, contracts, purchase orders, fixed asset inventory, etc.), ensuring that they are properly organized, maintained, and regularly updated.
- Check the accuracy and compliance of petty cash expenditures and ensure its timely replenishment.
- Assist the Office Administrator in ensuring that payroll, applicable taxes, social and retirement benefits are processed accurately, and timely reported to the relevant authorities.
- Participate in the closing of monthly and annual expense reports for timely submission to HQ.
- Assist with the facilitation of annual/external audits.
- Assist in the preparation of monthly estimate of the office operational funds.
- Performs other duties as assigned or required.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting/Business with minimum of five years accounting experience
- Excellent Knowledge of QuickBooks
- Ability to work independently and multi-task under tight deadlines in a fast-paced environment while keeping good team spirit.
- Ability to maintain absolute discretion and maturity in handling sensitive/confidential data
- Good analytical and strong organizational skills with ability to prioritize work
- Proficiency with Microsoft Excel
Skills / Knowledge / Experience / Abilities
- Good English and French communications skills (written and verbal)
- Ability to work in a multicultural environment as a team player
- Knowledge of procurement procedures
- Detail oriented with ability to follow through to closure
- Strong computer skills: Word, Excel, Outlook, SharePoint…
If you are interested in this position, please send your detailed e-mail application: CV and cover letter in English, by June 30th, 2022, to firstname.lastname@example.org . Please include the position title in the subject line.
We thank all applicants for their interest in working for AKADEMIYA2063. Due to the volume of applications, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
This Job Description only serves as a guide for the available position. AKADEMIYA2063 reserves the right to change, revise, omit, and add in part / in whole this document
AKADEMIYA2063 is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified women are encouraged to apply.
*Disclaimer: AKADEMIYA2063 does not charge any kind of fee at whichever stage of the recruitment process*
To find out more about AKADEMIYA2063 visit our website at https://akademiya2063.org/