Site United Nations
Org. Setting and Reporting
This position is located in the Cameroon Nigeria Mixed Commission. The incumbent reports to the Senior Economic Affairs Officer and CNMC Program Manager.
Within delegated authority, the Administrative Assistant FS-4 will carry out the following
Human Resources Management
- Initiate, review, process and follow-up on actions related to the administration of the unit’s human resource activities, e.g., recruitment of staff and consultants, placement, promotion, relocation, performance appraisal, job classification review, separation of staff members, training, etc., ensuring consistency in the application of UN rules and procedures.
- Participate in the selection of candidates for the Section; evaluate and screen applications of such candidates, prepare profiles of candidates, conduct preliminary interviews and identify short-lists of candidates.
- Respond to enquiries and provide information and advice to staff regarding administrative procedures, processes and practices, conditions of service, duties and responsibilities.
- Oversee the maintenance of the Section’s vacancy announcement files and keep track of status of current vacancy announcements; ensure that recommendations regarding changes in contractual status of staff comply with established procedure and policy; prepare documents for promotion, special post allowance, review of entry level and within grade allowance panels.
Budget and Finance
- Assist in the preparation and review of financial and human resource proposals and consolidate the budget and work programme with respect to the Section’s budget, trust funds, grants and procurement.
- Consolidate data received from other unit’s regarding budget submissions; assist in preparation of supporting narrative and tables regarding the budget cost estimates, coordinate with other sections regarding any clarification or additional input required for the formulation of the yearly section budget.
- Review expenditures and compare with the field mission approved budget; prepare adjustments as necessary. Assist the manager in the elaboration of resource requirements for budget submissions; coordinate with other finance and budget staff on related issues during the preparation of the budget report.
- Assist in the preparation of budget performance submissions and in the finalization of budget performance reports.
- Monitor integrity of various financial databases and verify accuracy of input data, ensuring consistency of data recorded.
- Review requisitions for goods and services to ensure correct objects of expenditure have been charged and availability of funds.
- Draft routine correspondence to respond to inquiries in respect to relevant administrative, financial audit and personnel matters; schedule meetings and appointments; maintain files of administrative instructions and other rules and regulations; provide guidance and training to other administrative assistants.
- Coordinate extensively with service units and liaise frequently with internal team members both at the Headquarters and in the field.
- Perform other related administrative duties, as required e.g., operational travel plan for unit/section; attendance and leave recording; physical space allocation plans and the identification of office technology needs and maintenance of equipment, software and systems, assist with the organization and coordination of seminars, conferences and translations.
- Guide, train and supervise more junior level staff.
- Perform other duties as required.
- Professionalism – Ability and experience across a broad range of administrative functions, e.g., budget/work program, human resources, database management, etc. Knowledge and application of the UN systems, staff rules and regulations. Ability to manage processes, maintain accurate records, interpret/analyse a wide variety of data, and identify/resolve data discrepancies and activity problems. High degree of commitment to ensure the proper use of the unit’s financial resources. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all area of work.
- Communication: Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately; asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication; tailors language, tone, style and format to match audience; demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
- Planning & Organizing – Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amounts of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
- Teamwork – Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda; supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
- High school or equivalent diploma is required. Technical or vocational certificate in administrative services, finance, human resources, business administration or personnel management is required.
- At least 6 years of progressively responsible experience within the United Nations system or the private sector in the field of administrative services, finance, accounting, human resources, or in other related fields is required.
- Hands-on experience with UN administrative/financial policies and practices is desirable.
- Experience with the use of ERP (e.g. UMOJA) is desirable.
French and English are the working languages of the UN Secretariat. For this position, fluency in oral and written English and French is required.
Evaluation of qualified candidates may include an assessment exercise which may be followed by an informal discussion to access suitability for the position.
This position is temporarily available until 30 June 2024. If the selected candidate is a staff member from the United Nations Secretariat, the selection will be administered as a temporary assignment.
While this temporary assignment may provide the successful applicant with an opportunity to gain new work experience, the selection for this position is for a limited period and has no bearing on the future incumbency of the post.
Subject to the funding source of the position, the eligibility for this temporary job opening may be limited to candidates based at the duty station.
This temporary job opening may be limited to « internal candidates, » who have been recruited through a competitive examination administered according to staff rule 4.16 or staff selection process including the review of a central review body established according to staff rule 4.15.
Staff members of the United Nations common system organizations who will reach the mandatory age of separation or retirement within the duration of the current temporary need period are not eligible to apply. Submitting an application or selection for the current
temporary job opening does not delay or increase the mandatory age of separation.
Retirees above the mandatory age of separation who wish to be considered for the current temporary job opening must indicate the reason for their last separation as « retirement. » Such retirees shall not be employed by the Organization, unless (a) the operational requirements of the Organization cannot be met by staff members who are qualified and available to perform the required functions; and (b) the proposed employment would not adversely affect the career development or redeployment opportunities of other staff members and represents both a cost-effective and operationally sound solution to meet the needs of the service.
Pour postuler, veuillez cliquer sur ce lien : careers.un.org.