The Finance Assistant is responsible for supporting the work assigned to the Finance sub-unit and applies the Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) to provide the required services. Under the guidance and direct supervision of the Finance Analyst/Associate, the Finance Assistant is responsible to perform any of the financial functions listed below, including but not limited to:
- Payable Services
- Revenue Services & Contribution Management Services
- General Accounting Services
- Project Accounting Services
UNDP adopts a portfolio approach to accommodate changing business needs and leverage linkages across interventions to achieve its strategic goals. Therefore, UNDP personnel are expected to work across units, functions, teams, and projects in multidisciplinary teams in order to enhance and enable horizontal collaboration.
Duties and Responsibilities
Ensure administration and implementation of operational and financial management strategies, adapt processes and procedures focusing on achievement of the following results:
Ensure implementation of operational and financial management strategies, adapts processes and procedures focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Fully comply with UN/UNDP rules and regulations of financial processes, financial records and reports and audit follow up; implement the effective internal control framework.
- Map finance business processes and elaborate the content of internal Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) in Finance in consultation with the direct supervisor and office management.
- Ensure financial records are compliance with SOPs, IPSAS and other UNDP Financial Rules and Regulations.
Provide accounting and finance support to Country Offices (COs) or performs Global Payroll functions focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Properly review/validate the supporting documents for payments and financial reports for NEX projects, prepare all types of invoices, pay cycle and payments execution.
- Timely execute pay cycle run and validation of payment data.
- Approve supplier records in Quantum.
- Maintain the internal expenditures control system which ensures that invoices processed are matched and completed, transactions are correctly recorded and posted in Quantum.
- Timely follow up with COs on unposted invoices, including the invoices with budget check errors, match exceptions, unapproved invoices.
- Maintain the Accounts Receivables for COs and ensure that deposits are created and applied in a timely manner, and in accordance with guidelines, rules and regulations.
- Timely and accurately prepare bank reconciliations in accordance with guidelines, rules and regulations.
- Perform Payroll Administrator functions, which includes the recording of one time/recurring earnings and deductions, proper validation of payroll results for a timely disbursement of salaries as per the monthly payroll calendar.
- Perform timely travel and expense reconciliation.
- Ensure proper adherence to Service Level Agreement (SLAs) contribute to the evolution of services proposed by GSSC and the establishment of a continuous improvement environment.
- Analyze discrepancies, report and bring to Management’s attention on deviation from Service Agreements.
- Assist in functions relating Procure-to-Pay lifecycle.
- Perform accounting tasks such as record invoice, analyze account payable and monitor late payments, managing payment batches.
- Analyze payable accounts and monitor aging of invoices, payment on hold and unpaid invoices.
- Ensure proper record of Value Added Tax (VAT).
- Assist in the recording of general accounting transactions which include fixed assets, inventory, investment accounting, Inter-UN
- Agency transactions, common shared services adjustments, B2B and cash management.
- Assist with analyzing of accounts and preparation of reconciliations against sub-ledgers with correct Chart of Account (COA) combinations, report aging balances, taking appropriate actions and tracking pending items.
- Assist with attending assets transactions related to basic additions, asset transfer or disposal, leasehold improvement, intangibles or reclassification of fixed assets transactions.
- Assist in the implementation of accounting, closing calendars, audit requirements and quarterly, bi-annual and year-end certifications.
- Assist in performing relevant GL accounts reconciliation.
- Process revenue accounting and treasury transactions.
- Examine and record transactions received in bank accounts.
- Analyze queries relating to revenue and treasury and provide support to UNDP offices worldwide in these areas.
- Assist in performing relevant revenue and balance sheet GL accounts reconciliation.
Ensure facilitation of knowledge building and knowledge sharing in the Finance Unit focusing on the achievement of the following results:
- Support the organization of training for staff in the Finance Stream.
- Synthesize lessons learned and best practices in Finance.
- Make sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice.
- The incumbent performs other duties within their functional profile as deemed necessary for the efficient functioning of the Office and the Organization.
- LEVEL 1: Plans and monitors own work, pays attention to details, delivers quality work by deadline
- LEVEL 1: Open to creative ideas/known risks, is pragmatic problem solver, makes improvements
- LEVEL 1: Open minded and curious, shares knowledge, learns from mistakes, asks for feedback
Adapt with Agility:
- LEVEL 1: Adapts to change, constructively handles ambiguity/uncertainty, is flexible
Act with Determination:
- LEVEL 1: Shows drive and motivation, able to deliver calmly in face of adversity, confident
Engage and Partner:
- LEVEL 1: Demonstrates compassion/understanding towards others, forms positive relationships
Enable Diversity and Inclusion:
- LEVEL 1: Appreciate/respect differences, aware of unconscious bias, confront discrimination
Cross-Functional & Technical competencies
Business Management / Customer Satisfaction/Client Management:
- Ability to respond timely and appropriately with a sense of urgency, provide consistent solutions, and deliver timely and quality results and/or solutions to fulfil and understand the real customers’ needs. Provide inputs to the development of customer service strategy. Look for ways to add value beyond clients’ immediate requests.
- Ability to anticipate client’s upcoming needs and concerns
- Business Development / Knowledge Generation:
- Ability to research and turn information into useful knowledge, relevant for context, or responsive to a stated need
- Business Management / Working with Evidence and Data:
- Ability to inspect, cleanse, transform and model data with the goal of discovering useful information, informing conclusions and supporting decision-making
Administration & Operations / Documents and Records Management:
- Overall document (hard or electronic) management; registry and retention policy including storing and archiving
Finance / Accounting (General):
- Knowledge of accounting concepts, principles, regulations, policies and ability to apply this to strategic and/or practical situations.
Finance / Financial Reporting and Analysis:
- Ability to extract, evaluate financial data, derive relevant findings and present them in a meaningful and coherent manner to facilitate effective decision making and performance monitoring.
Finance / Audit:
- Ability to examine and verify accounts and records
Required Skills and Experience
- Secondary education with specialized certification in accounting and/or finance. A university degree in finance or accounting is desirable. Part-qualified accountants from an internationally accredited institute of accountancy will have a distinct advantage.
- Candidates with accountancy certification from an internationally accredited institute of accountancy will have a distinct advantage.
- Candidates without certification but with relevant experience must complete the UNDP Finance Training and Certification Programme (FTCP), if recruited.
- 5 years (with high school diploma) or 2 years (with bachelor’s degree) of progressively responsible finance and accounting experience at the national or international level is required.
- Experience in the use of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc.) and advanced knowledge of spreadsheets and web-based management systems such as ERP financials, preferably Oracle Cloud, and database packages.
- Knowledge of IPSAS and/or IFRS is desired.
- Fluency in the UN language of the duty station is required.
- Fluency in the national language of the duty station is required for local staff.
Please note that continuance of appointment beyond the initial 12 months is contingent upon the successful completion of a probationary period.
Closing date : 28 November 2023.