Site World Bank Group
The World Bank Group is hiring an Associate Operations Officer.
Term Duration: 3 years 0 months.
IFC—a member of the World Bank Group—is the largest global development institution focused on the private sector in emerging markets. We work in more than 100 countries, using our capital, expertise, and influence to create markets and opportunities in developing countries. In fiscal year 2021, IFC committed a record $31.5 billion to private companies and financial institutions in developing countries, leveraging the power of the private sector to end extreme poverty and boost shared prosperity as economies grapple with the impacts of the COVID-19 pandemic. For more information, visit www.ifc.org.
IFC’s Financial Institutions Group (FIG) is seeking an upstream officer responsible for designing, executing and monitoring upstream projects in the financial sector in Sub-Saharan Africa. IFC’s new focus on upstream is meant to proactively create conditions that result in the movement of capital into private sector investments in the countries where we work. This is strategic business development in markets or sectors where ready-to-finance projects are not yet available, yet significant development gaps exist. Upstream activities occur before the traditional investment project cycle and are necessary precursors. They can be accomplished as quickly as in a few months or take several years.
Role & Responsibilities
The position represents a critical and central function in the FIG Africa upstream team and involves the following responsibilities:
- Drive upstream project design, structuring and execution across a range of initiatives by the FIG upstream team in Africa; lead and contribute to project ideation.
- Investigate bankability and structure paths to investment for upstream projects.
- Lead market research and industry analysis carried out by FIG Africa upstream staff.
- Identify and engage internal and external resources for executing upstream projects; guide other staff in the contracting and management of such resources.
- Co-manage relationships with World Bank, government and private sector stakeholders in support of project execution.
- Work closely with IFC’s specialists to identify and manage environmental, social, technical, legal, insurance, corporate governance, and other risks in projects.
- Implement and manage a life cycle approach for the design, execution, supervision and evaluation of upstream projects.
- Coach and train younger/junior/new upstream staff to ensure skills growth in bankability analysis and project design & execution.
The position requires a combination of experience, skills and knowledge spanning primarily project management and investment.
- At least 8 years of total work experience, of which:
- At least 3 years’ investing/lending to unlisted private sector companies or financial entities;
- At least 2 years’ in designing, implementing and monitoring advisory/technical assistance projects that involve interaction with private sector entities, industry associations and government authorities.
- Master’s degree or equivalent in finance, economics, business, or other relevant topic.
- Robust understanding of investment products and bankability criteria.
- Solid understanding of financial sector and, preferably, a sub-sector of interest to IFC’s upstream program in Africa (agri, climate, SME, digital, housing, distressed assets).
- Experience in designing/implementing market or sector assessments.
- Ability to extract lessons learned from different projects and to synthesize them in a coherent product that supports future project design.
- Strong organizational and time management skills; ability to handle a large number of simultaneous tasks and deliver consistently at agreed deadlines.
- Languages: Strong verbal and written proficiency in English and French required; understanding of
- Portuguese a plus.
- Willingness to travel throughout Sub-Saharan Africa.
World Bank Group Core Competencies
The World Bank Group offers comprehensive benefits, including a retirement plan; medical, life and disability insurance; and paid leave, including parental leave, as well as reasonable accommodations for individuals with disabilities.
We are proud to be an equal opportunity and inclusive employer with a dedicated and committed workforce, and do not discriminate based on gender, gender identity, religion, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, or disability.
Learn more about working at the World Bank and IFC, including our values and inspiring stories.
Closing Date: 9/19/2021 (MM/DD/YYYY) at 11:59pm UTC.