BBC Afrique is looking for a Journalist.
Originate and produce, as part of a team, a wide variety of news and current affairs content for relevant output.
Key responsibilities and accountabilities
- Use a range of video, audio and digital equipment and information technology to research, write, assemble, edit and deliver outputs in the appropriate medium, to the highest professional standards.
- May be required to present the content on radio, TV or online. This might be live or recorded.
- May include the production and presentation of programmes. This might be live or recorded
- Exercise editorial judgment in developing story ideas and producing accurate and impartial journalism.
- To undertake pre and post production and studio work, live and pre-recorded. Use a range of video, audio & digital equipment and information technology to research, write, assemble, edit and deliver programmes in the appropriate medium, to the highest professional standards.
- To liaise closely with other team members and with other departments in the BBC, to ensure that output material is shared, duplication is avoided, and best practice is upheld
- Take a lead within a team setting or on delivering a specific piece of journalism or project as appropriate
- To tailor different news treatments for different audiences ensuring that the output
reflects the audiences we serve
- To prioritise and plan activities taking into account all the relevant issues and factors
such as deadlines staffing and resources available
- To produce engaging packages through a range of production skills
- Delivering to tight deadlines while maintaining the highest editorial standards.
- At all times to carry out duties in accordance with the BBC Health and Safety policy
Knowledge, skills, training and experience
- Significant recent experience as a journalist, with a good knowledge of production techniques
- Demonstrates sound editorial and policy decisions based upon a clear understanding of the BBC’s distinctive news agenda, the requirements of news and current affairs coverage, the programme departments and the audience
- Ability to use technology as required, in order to gather material for broadcast
- Understands how a team works effectively and adopts the most appropriate role
- Able to build and maintain effective working relationships with a range of people
- Demonstrates a commitment to improving diversity in the BBC and understands how individual differences can benefit the BBC
- Effective planning and organising skills, ability to concentrate on several areas of work at one time, prioritising, delivering consistently to deadlines and reacting positively to changes and conflicting priorities
- Ability to write creatively in an engaging manner, adapt, produce and translate with accuracy, clarity and style appropriate to differing audiences and forms of media suitable for multimedia output
- The flexibility and adaptability to sustain performance, particularly under pressure to meet deadlines and changing priorities and circumstances
- An understanding of Health & Safety procedures and how it applies to broadcasting
- High level of responsibility and decision making; able to operate alone.
- No managerial responsibility. May be informally supported by Junior staff i.e. Researchers,
Coordinators and Assistants.
Covers a wide range of journalism activity, producing news content and supporting the
production and presentation of programming.
Additional job specific responsibilities and accountabilities
- Working in a team of journalists and reporting to the Editor of the Dakar Office or a Senior broadcast journalist, as appropriate. Shift work will be required which will include nights, evenings, weekends and public holidays
- A full command and up to date knowledge of French (first or equivalent).
- A good knowledge of English including complete comprehension of written and spoken English and the ability to communicate effectively.
- Wide and up to date familiarity with French speaking Africa and an in-depth understanding of the area’s history, politics, social issues and culture as well as the changing needs of the audience. An extensive knowledge of the media situation in French-speaking Africa and the way it is developing.
- A thorough knowledge and understanding of news and current affairs in Frenchspeaking Africa. A good knowledge of, and interest in, international and British current affairs, particularly insofar as they affect the target area.
- Knowledge of the aims, objectives and standards of the BBC World Service.
BBC Afrique is looking for a Journalist.
Décrochez plus d’entretiens de recrutement avec le service de rédaction de CV professionnel et lettre de motivation de notre partenaire TopCV. Commandez votre CV professionnel.