Site British Council
British Council is recruiting a Country Director.
About the British Council
The British Council is the UK’s international organisation for cultural relations and educational opportunities. We create friendly knowledge and understanding between the people of the UK and other countries. We do this by making a positive contribution to UK and the countries we work with – changing lives by creating opportunities, building connections and engendering trust. .
We work in over 100 countries across the world in the fields of arts and culture, English language, education and civil society. Each year we reach over 20 million people face to face and more than 500 million people online, via broadcasts and publications.
Our Senegalese Directorate operates in a particularly complex cultural and political environment requiring informed handling. We benefit from a strong reputation with important and prominent partners in the country and are now seeking to appoint to this post someone to lead us in maintaining and developing this profile and prominence.
Through an in-depth understanding of Senegal and the UK, the post-holder will lead the development and delivery of effective, sustainable and corporately aligned cultural relations between the two geographies, drawing on the UK’s cultural assets and thereby strengthening awareness of, positive attitudes towards and collaboration with the wider UK.
As an active member of the West Africa (WA) cluster leadership team, contribute to shaping and delivering the Cluster operating model, plan and priority programme areas.
The successful candidate will increase cultural relations impact and build on efforts to position our work strategically in Senegal. S/he will provide strategic direction and lead the country team in Senegal in order to achieve strategic, financial and impact objectives. The emphasis is placed on business development to align with regional targets and priorities.
- Country Leadership, Risk and Compliance Management
- Develop and provide UK and country insight
- Shape, monitor and deliver the strategy and narrative for the British Council in Senegal
- Identify and leverage partnership / contract opportunities
- Ensure positive relations with UK stakeholders (FCO, other UKDs, devolved administrations, representatives of UK culture and education institutions)
- West Africa Cluster Leadership team
Experience Required: (To be assessed at shortlisting and / interview stages)
- French and English at proficiency level
- A background in ELT and/or Education programmes
- Qualified to degree level or equivalent by experience
- Senior level management experience leading a (British Council) operation or business area advantageous
- Track record in business development and management of senior external relationships and partnerships
- Experience of pursuit – particularly in low income and disparate donor environments with analytical skills to assess opportunities, funding partners and develop pipeline
- Knowledge of the contemporary cultural assets of the UK (creative industries, education, English language, etc)
- An understanding of ‘cultural relations’ and how it is delivered effectively
- Experience of living or working in another country and understanding / adapting to its cultural norms and differences
For full details about the role, please review the attached documents:
If you are interested in the post and feel that you are suitable for the role, then we would really like to hear from you. Please apply by 8 May 2019 (23:59 UK Time)
Note that you should only fill out the application after thoroughly reading through the ROLE PROFILE & GUIDANCE NOTES.
Due to the critical nature of this role, Candidates who do not align their work experience and skills with the Role Profile and Guidance Notes will not be shortlisted.
Our Equality Commitment:
Valuing diversity is essential to the British Council’s work. We aim to abide by and promote equality legislation by following both the letter and the spirit of it to avoid unjustified discrimination, recognising discrimination as a barrier to equality of opportunity, inclusion and human rights. All staff worldwide are required to ensure their behaviour is consistent with our policies, and finance as a function is absolutely committed to this.
The British Council is committed to a policy of equal opportunity and is keen to reflect the diversity of UK society at every level within the organisation. We welcome applications from all sections of the community. In line with the British Council’s Child Protection policy, any appointment is contingent on thorough checks. In the UK, and in other countries where appropriate systems exist, these include criminal records checks.
Décrochez plus d’entretiens de recrutement avec le service de rédaction de CV professionnel et lettre de motivation de notre partenaire TopCV. Commandez votre CV professionnel.
Pour postuler à cette offre, merci de cliquer sur le lien suivant : jobs.britishcouncil.org.
Très important : Méfiez vous des arnaques ! Vous ne devez payer, en aucun cas, des sommes d'argent aux recruteurs utilisant la plateforme EmploiDakar.com