Site World Food Program
The United Nations World Food Programme (WFP), a highly prestigious, reputable & world’s largest humanitarian organization, operates in more than 120 countries and territories, bringing life-saving assistance in emergencies, building pathways to peace, stability, and prosperity for people recovering from conflict, disasters and the impact of climate change and supporting sustainable and resilient livelihoods for a world with zero hunger. At WFP, people are at the heart of everything we do, and the vision of the future WFP workforce is one of diverse, committed, skilled, and high-performing teams, selected on merit, operating in a healthy and inclusive work environment, living WFP’s values (Integrity, Collaboration, Commitment, Humanity, and Inclusion) and working with partners to save and change the lives of those WFP serves.
To learn more about WFP, visit our website: UN World Food Programme (WFP), and follow us on social media to keep up with our latest news: YouTube, LinkedIn, Instagram, Facebook, Twitter.
The Regional Bureau Dakar (RBD) provides policy guidance, technical support, and oversight for operations in 19 countries west and central Africa where WFP’s efforts contribute towards the eradication of hunger and malnutrition.
Background and purpose of the assignment
The role of a Business Transformation Officer (Data Scientist) is to support advanced data-driven decision making and innovation within our organization. The role requires a professional with a diverse skill set, combining hands-on technical expertise in Data Collection, Evidence-based Analysis, Integration, and Visualization. The incumbent must have skills in effectively capturing business process flows and technical requirements at the Country Office level (also known as “data mapping”) and translate analysis to tangible project and product roadmaps tailored to the country office needs. In the implementation of the roadmaps, the Business Transformation Officer (Data Scientist) will coordinate the delivery of technical training alongside the Regional Data Coordinator and support activities delivered by data analysts and data engineers across various programme units. The incumbent will play a crucial role in developing dashboards and reports to enhance decision-making at the WFP Regional Bureau in Dakar
Within delegated authority, the Business Transformation Officer (Data Scientist) will be responsible for the following duties:
- Contribute to capturing, analysis and documentation (i.e. through diagrams, flowcharts, data models, user experience designs, storyboards) of business requirements for IT solutions (including Data solutions) and services following WFP policies, standards and strategies.
- Work with more senior team members to communicate business requirements to business counterparts, for a shared understanding of the requirements and effective implementation of strategies/plans.
- Contribute to the baselining and tracking of business requirements through to implementation for efficient management of change.
- Test and analyse IT solutions (including Data solutions) and document the match against business requirements for quality and accuracy.
- Maintain contacts with business counterparts to bring their requests into IT and keep them informed of actions.
- Maintain up to date the service catalogue of IT solutions (including Data solutions) offered to the business, including current, retired and those in the pipeline to support effective knowledge management.
- Support the development and implementation of modern integrated data transformation pipelines, facilitating data cleaning, reconciliation, and anomaly checks.
- Support project managers in managing estimates, business cases, planning, risk identification, issue management for the effective delivery of IT Solutions (including Data solutions).
- Create professional reports, dashboards, and presentations with detailed analytical insights.
An advanced university degree (Master’s degree equivalent, BAC+4/5), recognized by https://www.whed.net/home.php in data science, computer science, data and information management, statistics, engineering or another relevant field. A first-level university degree (bachelor/licence), recognized by https://www.whed.net/home.php in combination with qualifying experience may be accepted instead of the advanced university degree.
For holders of an advanced university degree (master’s degree or equivalent), at least one year of professional level working experience with data analytics tools, such as Tableau or Power BI, and programming languages such as Python or ‘R’ is required OR for holders of a first degree (bachelor/licence) three years of experience with data analytics tools, such as Tableau or Power BI, and programming language such as Python or ‘R’ is required.
Knowledge & Skills
Data Analysis and Statistics:
- Proficiency in statistical analysis and hypothesis testing.
- Strong understanding of data distributions, probability, and statistical modelling.
- In-depth knowledge of machine learning algorithms, including supervised and unsupervised techniques.
- Experience with model evaluation, hyperparameter tuning, and model deployment.
Data Manipulation and Programming:
- Proficiency in programming languages like Python or R for data manipulation and analysis.
- Knowledge of data cleaning, transformation, and feature engineering techniques.
- Familiarity with data visualization libraries and tools (e.g., Matplotlib, Seaborn, Tableau).
- Ability to create informative and visually appealing data visualizations.
Database and Data Warehousing:
- Understanding of database systems (e.g., SQL databases) and data warehousing concepts.
- Experience with querying and extracting data from databases.
Data Ethics and Privacy:
- Awareness of data privacy regulations and ethical data handling practices.
- Strong analytical thinking and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to extract actionable insights from complex data.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to explain technical concepts to non-technical stakeholders.
- Effective teamwork and collaboration skills.
- Experience working in cross-functional teams.
- Project management skills to handle multiple tasks and meet deadlines.
- Other: Experience and knowledge of data optimisation and visualisation tools such as Palantir Foundry, Tableau and Power
- Platform are preferred.
Fluency (level C in reading, writing and speaking) in English and French.
Deadline for application: 14 December 2023.
Before you apply, please confirm that both (i) your on-line profile and CV are accurate and up to date, (ii) your CV should include your employment history, academic qualifications, and language skills.
Pour postuler, veuillez cliquer sur ce lien : career5.successfactors.eu.