Site Chemonics International
Chemonics seeks a chief of party (COP) for the anticipated USAID Scaling Up Investment in Weather and Climate in Senegal. The five-year project aims to enhance resilience, productivity, and nutritional outcomes in fishing and agriculture systems (i.e., farming, livestock, pastoralism) through expanding the use of WCIS (Weather and Climate Information Services) and early warning systems for flood control and drought forecast in the face of increased climate uncertainty and weather hazards. This will be achieved through facilitating the National Agency for Civil Aviation and Meteorology’s (ANACIM) engagement with the public and private sectors and user communities to co-produce, translate, transfer, and use free and fee-based WCI products and services in Senegal. This project will support both private sector WCIS development, and also aims to ensure that WCIS is developed in an equitable way that delivers timely, accurate, tailored, and localized information to stakeholders and does not simply prioritize those who can pay. The primary objectives of the project are (1) to bolster ANACIM’s engagement with user communities, public and private sector actors and institutions to develop public-private partnerships that foster increased demand for WCIS; (2) to scale up public and private investment in the development of the WCIS value chain; and (3) to expand the enabling conditions and respond to the need to integrate climate change and WCIS in the nutrition and water resources management sectors.
The chief of party will be responsible for leading all technical, financial, and administrative aspects of the project and will coordinate closely with USAID in developing, implementing, and revising the project’s overall field strategy. The COP will serve as the primary representative of Chemonics and the project and will maintain effective relationships with government, NGOs, and other key stakeholders and ensure compliance with the contract to produce timely, high-quality results. This position will be based in Senegal. We are looking for individuals who have a passion for making a difference in the lives of people around the world.
- Serve as primary point of contact with USAID/Senegal and Chemonics field and headquarters teams regarding project implementation and management
- Lead the development and implementation of annual workplans and budgets and key project deliverables
- Define project’s strategic, long-term vision
- Establish and maintain effective project management team
- Ensure compliance with relevant donor, host government, and Chemonics regulations, policies, and procedures
- Mentor and coordinate senior technical staff and project partners (subcontractors, consultants) to produce results
- Establish strategic partnerships with project donor and external audiences
- Communicate project activities, priorities, achievements, and lessons learned to USAID, project stakeholders, and the public
- Identify issues and risks related to project implementation in a timely manner, suggesting appropriate adjustments
- A master’s degree or equivalent advanced degree in international development, climate science, economics, public administration, information technology, or another relevant field preferred
- Minimum 8 years of professional experience in technical sectors relevant to the project, such as weather and climate information services data for decision making, agriculture, nutrition, water resource management, and climate change resiliency and adaptation, that showcases increasing managerial responsibility
- Minimum 8 years of experience in a senior management role leading large, international donor-funded projects in developing countries required, with previous experience as Chief of Party or equivalent preferred
- Prior experience working with USAID programs in Senegal or West Africa preferred
- Experience collaborating with public and private sector actors required; demonstrated success in encouraging private and public sector investment in demand-driven climate information services preferred
- Demonstrated experience managing complex projects, partnerships, contracts and agreements, is required, with knowledge of USAID preferred
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to cultivate and maintain internal and external relationships with diverse stakeholders, partners, and staff
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Financial management skills, including budgeting and budget management
- Demonstrated leadership, versatility, and integrity
- Fluency in written and spoken English and French (required)
Please send an email with your updated CV, cover letter, and the contact information for three professional references attached and “Chief of Party (COP)- USAID Scaling Up Investment in Weather and Climate in Senegal” in the subject line to SenegalWCISRecruit@chemonics.com no later than October 8th, 2023. No telephone inquiries, please. Chemonics will contact finalists.
Chemonics is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in its selection and employment practices on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, or other non-merit factors.
Chemonics values the protection of your personal data. If you are in the European Union, please read our EU Recruiting Data Privacy Notice to learn how we process personal data. You may access the notice via the following link: https://chemonics.com/eu-recruiting-data-privacy-notice/.