NORC hiring Chief of Party, Senegal.
NORC at the University of Chicago (NORC), one of the largest and most highly respected social research organizations in the United States, is seeking qualified candidates for the position of Chief of Party for an upcoming USAID Monitoring, Evaluation, and Learning (MEL) project in Senegal. The project is expected to conduct studies and evaluation activities that support and improve USAID/Senegal’s performance management to help the Mission meet Agency requirements, make better informed strategic and management decisions, and advance Agency learning.
The Chief of Party will have primary strategic, managerial, technical leadership and management responsibilities for the project. S/he will provide oversight of all aspects of project implementation and will work to ensure the quality of program and program deliverables and a high degree of responsiveness to the Mission. The COP serves as the main point of contact between USAID and the Contractor, and accordingly focus on the design, planning and implementation of core services as well as the overall management of this contract. The COP is also responsible for ensuring compliance with NORC policies and procedures and USG rules and regulations and for ensuring compliance of sub-awardee.
The position will be based with NORC in Dakar and local travel will be required. Please note that the position is contingent upon award and funding. It will be full-time over a multi-year period, at competitive rates.
- Leads the project team, technical and operational aspects of the project, including planning and implementation; ensuring clarity over plans and priorities, and encouraging effective teamwork and adaptive management;
- Oversees a team of senior technical, operations, compliance and finance staff and ensures clear roles and responsibilities and lines of communication are maintained among the team members;
- Supervises key staff and provides guidance and mentoring to managers and staff to achieve project goals and develop capacity;
- Develops a vision for the project and leads its adaptation based on performance data and regular reviews.
Management and Compliance
- Ensures compliance with USAID requirements, U.S. government regulations, and NORC policies and procedures;
- Reviews and approves contractual deliverables to meet USAID and corporate reporting requirements;
- Leads preparation of project deliverables, including annual work-plans, budgets and project activity updates, and other project-related communication and reporting materials in accordance with USAID deadlines;
- Provides overall financial oversight of the budget over the life of the project;
- Collaborates with NORC’s contracts management team to ensure continuous compliance with agreement/contract rules and regulations;
- Organizes project teams and oversee production of SOPs to meet project goals and ensure compliance with policies;
- Ensures continuous communication with NORC’s technical units at headquarters.
External Relations and Representation
- Liaises with USAID/Senegal and other project stakeholders (e.g., local government, civil society organizations, private sector) to coordinate activities and facilitate monitoring and reporting of project objectives and achievements;
- Liaises with USG partners and other donors and implementing agencies as needed to ensure coordination and synergy;
- Represents as needed the project at regional, national and international fora, including technical conferences, policy briefings, networking events, etc.
The candidate must possess the following qualifications:
- A Bachelor’s degree (Master’s degree or higher strongly preferred) in relevant field such as international development, public policy, statistics, or economics.
- At least 12 years of relevant experience implementing and managing MEL activities, which demonstrates progressively more responsibility in the following areas:
- Planning and logistics for the conduct of evaluation activities;
- Supervision and staff development; and
- Design and management of M&E systems for development projects.
- Experience working on USAID projects in a management role.
- Thorough technical knowledge of monitoring, evaluation methods, and performance management, including, but not limited to, data collection and analysis, evaluation planning, evaluation design and management, and dissemination of evaluation results.
- Demonstrated and successful leadership in an intercultural team environment in a development context.
- Previous experience as a Chief of Party, Deputy Chief of Party, or Project Director strongly preferred.
- Working experience in Senegal, West Africa or similar developing country context.
- Strong critical thinking and problem-solving skills to plan, organize, and manage resources for successful completion of projects.
- Oral and written communication and presentations skills in French and English (equivalent to R4/S4 or higher under the Interagency Language Roundtable scale). USAID will verify language skills prior to approval.
About NORC at the University of Chicago
NORC at the University of Chicago (NORC) is one of the largest and most highly respected social research organizations in the United States pursuing high quality social science research that serves the public interest. NORC’s International Programs designs and implements evaluations, data collection, and other analytical projects throughout the world and has developed close collaborative relationships with researchers, survey firms, and policy think tanks in numerous countries. NORC has also worked extensively throughout West Africa, including in Senegal.
Interested candidates should email a CV and cover letter to [email protected]. Please use the following subject line in your email: “Senegal MEL Application – Chief of Party.” Please also contact us at this email with any questions.
Application deadline: 31 Dec 2020
Pour postuler, envoyez votre CV et votre lettre de motivation par e-mail à MELSenegal@norc.org