Site Amnesty International
Amnesty International hiring Country Campaigner.
This is a permanent role based at the Amnesty International West and Central Africa Regional Office in Dakar. This is an exciting role where you’ll have a huge opportunity to make a difference by fighting for the human rights of the people in West and Central Africa.
You will develop and implement campaigning strategies, managing and coordinating actions on human rights concerns in West and Central Africa by using and developing knowledge on specific countries in the region or other geographical and thematic areas, and supporting and liaising with Amnesty International (AI) movement and outside networks to ensure maximum impact.
An experienced campaigner. You will have demonstrated commitment to human rights through previous work, membership of an organization, and personal involvement in campaigning for human rights. You have excellent knowledge and appreciation of key human rights issues across West and Central Africa. You have demonstrable experience of strategic campaigning, including knowledge of the steps required to devise campaigning strategy and awareness of the need for actions and campaigning techniques to be based on local realities.
You will have experience in a similar role managing human rights campaigns and working with others within and external to the organisation to enhance impact. You will have facilitated campaign strategy design and development workshops, from which solid campaign plans emerged, which were successfully implemented with demonstrable impact achieved. You will have the ability to motivate and inspire others towards activism for change, including through creative and dynamic approaches to encourage campaigning in the face of obstacles and including an understanding of digital campaigning tools and their appropriate use for target audiences to ensure both online and offline activism and mobilization.
You will possess a strong network and subsisting relationships with of human rights activists, groups and other relevant actors in countries in West and Central Africa. You are comfortable in use social media within an organizational context, particularly for campaigning purposes, and in mobilizing supporters for the organisation’s campaign causes. You have experience of negotiating workload and competing demands and ability to communicate effectively within a large and culturally diverse organization.
You are a team player. You will also be confident in your ability to deal with multiple tasks and flexible in accepting ad hoc duties. Besides, you will be fluent in English and French, and comfortable in communicating to staff of all levels from different departments in our offices around the world.
- To contribute to the development of overarching research and campaigning strategies to deliver impact, and to lead on the development and implementation of specific campaigning strategies and coordinating actions on human rights concerns in specific countries in the region and or thematic areas aimed at effecting change in the human rights situation
- To support and liaise with AI membership structures and maintain and develop networks of national and international NGOs and other external partners in the development and implementation of campaigning strategies and plans
- To write or otherwise devise campaigning and other materials for external and internal use in various formats and carry out government correspondence
- To monitor and analyze political and human rights developments and incorporate such analysis in campaigning decisions
- To communicate AI’s concerns, positions and key messages to AI’s membership, civil society organizations and at other forums, including through lobbying at relevant public forums in relation to campaigning priorities and undertaking other advocacy, and in addition, as appropriate, represent AI in governmental, inter-governmental and various public forums, as well as with the news media and others
- To contribute to the development of sub-regional and region-wide strategies and plans for research and campaigning and provide input into internal discussions on the AI mission, policy, organizational and other issues in order to increase the effectiveness of AI’s work
Skills and experience
- Experience of strategic campaigning, including knowledge of the steps required to devise campaigning strategy and awareness of the need for actions and campaigning techniques to be based on strategies and be adapted to effect changes in a given situation
- Knowledge of the sub-region in general and a specialist knowledge in relation to specific countries or other geographical areas or thematic issues in your brief
- Ability to understand and express ideas in English and French, and where applicable, other relevant languages in a fluent, clear and concise way, both orally and in writing, and to communicate complex information and institutional positions
- Ability to motivate and inspire others towards activism for change, including through creative and dynamic approaches to encourage campaigning in the face of obstacles and including an understanding of digital campaigning tools and their appropriate use for target audiences to ensure both online and offline activism and mobilization
- Demonstrated commitment to human rights, e.g. through previous work, membership of an organization, involvement in advocacy of human rights, etc.
- Understanding of equal opportunities, cultural diversity and gender issues as well as a commitment to apply relevant policies
Closing Date:17 March 2021
Pour postuler à ce poste veuillez visiter careers.amnesty.org.