Deloitte Consulting is implementing the United States Agency for International Development (USAID) West Africa Energy Program (WAEP), a four-year Power Africa project to expand supply of and access to affordable and reliable grid-connected electricity services in West Africa through a range of technical assistance, capacity building, and transactional support. WAEP brings together technical and legal experts, the private sector, and governments from around the world to work in partnership to increase the number of people with access to power in Africa with the goal of advancing development priorities including inclusive economic growth, security, and improved health and education outcomes.
Deloitte is seeking an experienced, full-time bilingual Communication Specialist based in West Africa, to support the Program team in the successful implementation of all aspects of the Program’s Work Plan and achievement of the Program objective. The ideal candidate will be professionally proficient in both French and English and will have a minimum of five years of experience in Communications.
Role and Responsibilities
General Functions of the Position;
- Effectively inspire, lead, manage, and ensure the day-to-day personal performance of all staff under the Employee’s supervision in compliance with the Program Work Plan and the Program administrative and policy manual;
- Develop and maintain collegial, productive relationships with the Programs current Communications Specialist, other Program colleagues, USAID, Program counterparts, beneficiaries, and subcontractors, the West Africa public and private sector, while achieving the overall Program objectives;
- Effectively liaise with senior Program management, the Program Management Office (PMO), and other divisions of USAID on all aspects of the Program Work Plan implementation;
- Ensure that all scheduling, budgeting, technical, and documentary attributes of Work Plan, including but not limited to scopes of work, CV’s, approvals, deliverables, and other contractually required documentation, under the responsibility of the Employee are fully up to date in the Program electronic and hard-copy files no less frequently than monthly, and that all such documentation is compliant with USAID, USAID and Program policies and the Program Work Plan;
- Serve as a member of any ad hoc panel or committee established by the Chief of Party or his/her designee, to select candidates for employment, participants for overseas short-term training and study tours, and awardees of subcontracts and grants, ensuring in all cases compliance with USAID regulations, USAID and Program administrative and policy manual, and the Program Work Plan;
- Ensure close inter- and intra-component and inter-office collaboration with all Program components, sub-components, and offices; and promote close collaboration with the monitoring and evaluation, training, public awareness, and other cross-cutting actions of the Program;
- Conduct all business in a manner that respects local culture;
- Maintain high ethical standards at all times, avoiding any actual or perceived conflicts of interest;
- Abide by all local laws, USAID regulations, and US Embassy directives, whether written or verbal; and
- Perform any and all tasks as may be assigned by the Chief of Party or his/her designee as may be required to contribute to the achievement of Program goals and objectives.
Specific Tasks Applicable to the Position.
As directed by the Deputy Chief of Party or PMO Lead, the Employee shall perform, oversee, and support the performance of the following specific tasks:
- Assist in sponsoring company’s goals through participating in the overall development and execution of communication tactics.
- Support creation and execution of all Work Plan activities and Outcomes.
- Communicate with a team of long-term and short-term consultants and subcontractors.
- Co-Lead responsibility for creation and implementation of USAID WAEP Communications Strategy, with the Programs current Communications Specialist, which will include the following tasks:
- Develop a set of templates, guidelines and protocols for communication and coordination with counterpart organizations (governments, utilities, regulatory agencies, financial institutions and companies benefitting from WAEP activities) as well as between international donor organizations
- Review and edit all major deliverables in various publication forms for readability, spelling, grammar, accuracy, punctuation, consistency, and logic
- Interface with USAID/Ghana and USAID/West Africa and other USAID regional mission communications staff to ensure all communications and published materials meet USAID and USG standards
- Work with beneficiaries and donor organizations to expand audience of Program deliverables
- Create marketing and event materials for USAID WAEP events, trainings, and public appearances
- Support in the drafting and development of all content for internal and external communication including virtual space
- Develop and oversee the communications calendar to ensure timely execution of the program
- Assist in increasing WAEP social media presence by creating and sending content to USAID and Power Africa for publication on their social media sites
- Develop, update event calendar and support in the execution of the events across the region
- Develop and consolidate strong media ties to confirm widespread outreach to public and business partners across the region
- Promote the Power Africa / USAID brand as an exceptional care provider in media and print
- Develop content for the print, virtual and broadcast media
- Produce and manage material for social networking websites on behalf of WAEP
- Support all creative inputs on company’s communications and publications
- Assist with taking meeting minutes and transcribing meeting notes and handwritten notes from hard copy into electronic format
- Oversee the Quality Assurance and Communications Consultant to:
- Ensure quality client contractual and reporting deliverables by reviewing Program deliverables to ensure messaging and reporting are clearly conveyed and reflect client sensitivities
- Lead the review, editing, and branding of all major contractual and technical deliverables in various publication forms for readability, spelling, grammar, accuracy, punctuation, consistency, and logic
- Support implementation of the Communications Strategy
- Work together with the Travel and Events Specialist to ensure that events and trainings are properly publicized, well-attended, exhibit appropriate and USAID-compliant marketing materials, and that schedules are coordinated to reduce scheduling conflicts.
- Respond to direct requests from the COP, DCOP, PMO Lead, Technical Leads or Finance Manager, for ad-hoc assistance on a limited basis for tasks relevant to the position’s skill-set but outside of the positions specific tasks and responsibilities, so long as such requests do not interfere with direct responsibilities of the position.
Required skills, Educations and Experience:
- A minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree in communication, journalism, media studies and any other related field; a Master’s degree will be an added advantage
- Proficiency in both English and French is a must
- At least 5 years of professional work experience in communications or a related field of work
- Knowledge of cultural and communication norms and expectations in most West African countries
- Familiarity with Adobe Creative Suite or similar graphic design software will be an added advantage
- Ability to quickly spot a “success story” to profile and individual or organization positively
- Report writing abilities, knowledge of USAID requirements will be an added advantage
- Exposure to and understanding of energy-related technical terminology preferred
- Experience working with sub-contractors / partners / grantees in communication related matters
- Proactive individual with a positive attitude willing to work in team settings.
The application file must include the following documents:
- A cover letter
- A detailed CV
Applicants’ files must be sent by May 15, 2021, deadline and to the following addresses: firstname.lastname@example.org
Pour postuler, envoyez votre CV et votre lettre de motivation par e-mail à email@example.com