Site Teach For Senegal
Teach For Senegal hiring a Development Manager.
- Title: Development Manager
- Positions: 1
- Reporting to: CEO
- Start date: As soon as possible
- Contract duration: 1 year (renewable)
- Location: Dakar, Senegal ( preferred)
- Application deadline: Open until position is filled
About Teach For Senegal
At Teach For Senegal (TFS), we believe that every child in Senegal regardless of their socio-economic background deserves an opportunity for an excellent education. Our mission is to enlist, develop, and mobilize as many of our nation’s future leaders to collectively will work to end educational inequity in our country. We plan to recruit, train, and place top university graduates and young professionals in high need primary schools across Senegal to serve as full-time teachers committed to transforming the education outcomes of less-privileged children through significantly improving their achievements and aspirations in a 2-year teaching fellowship.
Through the highly selective, highly rigorous Fellowship, participants (Fellows) develop critical knowledge and first-hand understanding of the education system in Senegal and the challenges it faces. With intensive training and support from TFS, Fellows help transform the lives of their students while enhancing their own leadership skills. As Alumni of the program (and, over time, their students) will become the next generation of Senegalese leaders in education, business, non-profits, medicine, law, government, journalism, and other fields. Informed by their experience, they will work from inside and outside the education system to affect the fundamental changes necessary to ensure quality and equitable education for all children.
The Manager, Development will be responsible for building the funding base for in order to support Teach For Senegal’s ambitious program goals. This will include working with internal stakeholders such as Government Officials, Corporate leaders, local organizations to support fundraising for Teach For Senegal. The Manager will also be responsible for maintaining relationships with key donors and their organizations.
- Teach For Senegal has different sources of funding. Some of these include Corporates, Foundations, Individual Giving, Government, Retail Giving, Online, Events, and among others. The manager will be responsible for the planning and implementation of Teach For Senegal fundraising strategy to ensure Teach For Senegal’s yearly fundraising target is met.
- Tapping into various networks to increase the base of donors
- Collaborate with other non-profits in co-applying for both local and international funding opportunities.
- Preparing updates, proposals and progress reports to all donors
Public and Governments relations:
- Establish and maintain relationships with government/local officials and utilize those relationships to strategically enhance Teach For Senegal’s mission.
- Build strong relationships with local communities’ leaders to get them enthusiastic and invest in Teach For Senegal.
- Support marketing and communications team
- Carry out other related tasks as requested by the CEO
- Passionate about our mission and values, believes deeply in the importance of inspiring/investing external people in our mission, has high expectations for how Teach For Senegal is viewed by external stakeholders and the general public.
- Preferred educational qualifications: Graduate
- Preferred experience: minimum 2-3 years of similar experience
- Excellent organizational and planning skills, as well as immense attention to detail
- Excellent relationship-building skills ( listening, negotiation, and reasoning skills)
- Experience in creating, improving, and managing fundraising databases
- Excellent research skills-ability to locate, process and analyze publicly available information and data ( ability to draw strategy and goals from research)
- Fluent knowledge of ( writing, reading, speaking) French and English; Knowledge of a local language is a strong plus
- Extremely strong verbal and written communication skills; can speak and write compellingly about our organization’s mission goals.
- Ability to travel domestically and internationally through the Teach For All Global network opportunities
Teach For Senegal’s Core Values
- Integrity: We consider integrity a virtue. We commit to uphold the highest standards of ethical expectations in our actions.
- Sense of Possibility: We believe the issue of quality education is an urgent one. We take each and every action with the full realization that our work now means that children in underprivileged communities could have significantly better life opportunities than what is possible today.
- Locally Rooted & Globally Informed: We believe in the possibility of transformational change in Senegal. We have faith that each child can excel, grow, and become what s/he wants. Each individual has the capacity to transform oneself and others.
- Continuous Learning: We commit to learn from each other, our partners, and our stakeholders. Through constant learning, we strive to create excellence in outcomes.
- Leadership: We stand up when others give up. We dream and take action to achieve our dreams. We lead and inspire others to follow. We make the impossible happen.
- Humility and respect: we treat each other with dignity and respect, appreciate each other’s strengths, perceptions, and experiences, and acknowledge our own limitations. We value our relationship with communities, leaders, schools, and parents and constantly engage them to advance our work of providing an excellent education to all children.
- Teamwork: we support and challenge one another, work co-operatively with enthusiasm and appreciation, respect each other’s views, and make our work environment fun and enjoyable.
- Teach For Senegal is a local non-profit looking for individuals who are committed and are willing to grow. Why do you want to be apart of Teach For Senegal? What would you hope to accomplish as a Teach For Senegal Staff? ( Limit: 300 words)
- Describe a time when you encountered serious obstacles to success while working on a project ( Limit: 300 words)
- Which of our Core Values you can best identify with and why? ( Limit: 300 words)
Interested candidates should submit a resume and cover letter to [email protected] address with the position title in the subject line. Only shortlisted candidates will be interviewed.