Site Danish Refugee Council
DRC is seeking a Mixed Migration Specialist.
The MMC is a leading source for independent and high-quality data, research, analysis and expertise on mixed migration.It aims to increase understanding of mixed migration, to positively impact global and regional migration policies, to inform evidence-based protection responses for people on the move and to stimulate forward thinking in public and policy debates on mixed migration. MMC’s overarching focus is on human rights and protection for all people on the move.
The MMC is hosted by DRC. While its institutional link to DRC ensures MMC’s work is grounded in operational reality, it acts as an independent source of data, research, analysis and policy development on mixed migration for policy makers, practitioners, journalists, and the broader humanitarian sector. MMC’s position does not necessarily reflect the position of DRC.
The MMC focuses on five core regions: Eastern Africa & Yemen, North Africa & Southern Mediterranean, West Africa, Middle East & Eastern Mediterranean and Asia. The 30 staff members of MMC are based in Geneva and Copenhagen and in its regional hubs Amman, Dakar, Nairobi, Tunis and Kabul, where it works in close cooperation with regional partners, stakeholders and donors.
MMC’s flagship data collection tool is the Mixed Migration Monitoring Mechanism initiative (4Mi). Started in 2016 in West Africa, 4Mi is a field level, low-cost and continuous, data gathering mechanism focusing on those in mixed migration flows (and involved with mixed migration as ‘smugglers’/facilitators) along particular route of migration. In West Africa 4Mi currently operates in Mali, Niger and Burkina Faso. The primary instrument has been the use of an in-depth questionnaire survey through the use of smart phone technology with cloud-based uploading of completed questionnaires in real time and location-tagged through GPS documentation.
Mixed migration refers to cross-border movements of people including refugees fleeing persecution and conflict, victims of trafficking and people seeking better lives and opportunities. Motivated to move by a multiplicity of factors, people in mixed flows have different legal statuses as well as a variety of vulnerabilities. Although entitled to protection under international human rights law, they are exposed to multiple rights violations along their journey. Those in mixed migration flows travel along similar routes, using similar means of travel – often travelling irregularly and wholly or partially assisted by migrant smugglers.
Your Key Responsibilities at DRC
The role of the MMC analyst will be to carry out research and data analysis and contribute towards high quality drafting of MMC West Africa reports. Some of the key activities will be as follows:
- Support research-based initiatives through research, analysis and drafting, particularly analysing the data collected through DRC’s 4Mi Project, in coordination with the MMC Manager and the 4Mi project officer
- Draft and consolidate the Quarterly Mixed Migration Summary for West Africa based on a thorough analysis of the available information
- Contribute to the drafting and proofreading of briefing papers, articles, factsheets and other documents
- Supervise the database management officer and work together for the preparation of infographics and visualizations
- Assist in the development of concept notes and other material in coordination with the Mixed Migration Manager
- Support research coordination of MMC research projects and other tasks as requested by the Mixed Migration Manager and 4Mi Project Manager
Qualifications & Experience
- Excellent knowledge of contemporary trends related to migration, human rights and international refugee law
- At least 3 years of experience in research and reporting in the field of migration
- Strong analytical and writing skills in French and English
- Experience of working with statistical data analysis tools such as SPSS
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team under remote supervision
- Previous experience in West Africa is an asset
- Advanced university degree in Political Sciences, International Law, or similar
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate DRC’ five core competencies
- Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process
- Collaborating: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback
- Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation
- Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly
- Demonstrating integrity: You act in line with DRC’s vision and values.
The MMC analyst will directly report to the MMC West Africa Mixed Migration Manager
- Availability: 1 May 2019
- Duty station: Dakar, Senegal.
- Salary Level: G1 (for more information on DRC’s salary please consult the vacancies section on DRC’s website)
- Contract: One year contract
Other employment conditions in accordance with the Danish Refugee Council’s Terms of Employment for Global Expatriates. This position is rated as G2 on the DRC Expatriate salary scale available at www.drc.dk
Interested candidates who meet the required qualifications and experience are invited to submit updated CV and cover letter explaining their motivation and why they are suited for the post.
We only accept applications sent via our online-application form on www.drc.dk under Vacancies.
Please forward the application and CV, in English through the online application on www.drc.dk under vacancies no later than 30 April 2019
If you have questions or are facing problems with the online application process, please contact: email@example.com
For general information about the Mixed Migration Centre, please consult http://www.mixedmigration.org/.
Décrochez plus d’entretiens de recrutement avec le service de rédaction de CV professionnel et lettre de motivation de notre partenaire TopCV. Commandez votre CV professionnel.
Pour postuler à cette offre, merci de cliquer sur le lien suivant : candidate.hr-manager.net.
Très important : Méfiez vous des arnaques ! Vous ne devez payer, en aucun cas, des sommes d'argent aux recruteurs utilisant la plateforme EmploiDakar.com