Biolite is hiring an Electrical Engineer.
BioLite is a dynamic and rapidly growing social enterprise that develops, manufactures and markets consumer energy products for off-grid communities around the world.
We serve two distinct markets: (i) Outdoor enthusiasts globally who seek fuel-efficient cooking and off-grid power solutions and (ii) families living in energy poverty in emerging markets. We are able to address these simultaneously through parallel product innovation by incubating core technologies that can serve users in both markets.
Our Emerging Markets team is growing, as is our product portfolio and the number of Partners we serve. With this growth we are expanding our services offered to include BioLite presence at our trusted partner locations. This role will be based in Dakar, Senegal, offering repair & refurbishment services to one of our most trusted partners as well as training and on site direct access to BioLite support.
The EM Technician is responsible for providing testing, repair and refurbishment services in accordance with set guidelines. The role however promotes challenging the status quo and providing input on how to improve existing processes and develop new ones for future products.
Key Activities & Responsibilities
- Follow set test procedures diligently to achieve the highest testing capacity
- Accurately determine the root cause of failure of the faulty item
- Accurately record fault results in relevant reporting systems, be diligent to provide full breadth of data required.
- Follow set repair procedures diligently to achieve the highest repair capacity and quality
- Strive to find more efficient and/or cheaper ways of repairing faulty items
- Efficiently utilise the required spare components needed to carry out repairs
Refurbishment (Future Activity)
- Follow set refurbishment procedures diligently to achieve the highest refurbishment capacity
- Refurbish the necessary number of items based on assigned targets to the desired level as guided by the team.
- Account for all refurbishment parts used
- Deliver refurbished products of the highest quality
- Ensure frequent reporting of faults, testing, repairs and refurbishments as necessary to the team.
- Utilise existing Warranty Service trackers for Partner Warranty claims. Support in the generation of weekly and monthly reports
- Follow the defined workshop processes to ensure the facility operates in an optimal fashion.
- Correctly collect, store and deposit back all tested, repaired and refurbished items utilising the shelves, cupboards, bins, baskets provided.
- Support management with accurate spare component stock keeping concerning but not limited to connectors, cables, PCBAs, switches, batteries, screws and fasteners.
- Support management with accurate consumable stock keeping concerning but not limited to cardboard boxes, plastic polythene bags, wraps, glue, tape. Assisting management during high load periods regarding outbound and inbound dispatches.
- Cross-functional relationships & interfaces
Sales & Partner Training
- Support Partner field technicians when necessary to improve identification of warranty and non-warranty faults.
- Support the updating of product manuals & repair guides with product testing and product fault related items.
(Future) Deliver technical product training to Partners.
Partner Customer Care
- Support the Partner Customer Care organisation to enable them to better understand customer product complaints and provide high quality service to Customers.
- Meet test, repair and refurbishment targets to ensure repaired or replacement products are dispatched quickly to solve customer fault cases
- Maintain and update Customer Care FAQ with product fault identification related questions
Advise on product improvement by identifying most common faults. (Future) Where necessary, support in New Product Introduction trials.
- Minimum Preferred Education
- Professional technician training in electrical engineering or similar
- Bachelor’s degree in electrical engineering or similar
- Certificate in Electrical & Electronics Engineering or its equivalent
- Certificate in Electrical & Electronics Engineering or it’s equivalent
- Information processing – Ability to process large amounts of data, written instructions and to learn quickly.
- Judgment and Decision Making – Consider the relative costs and benefits of potential actions, choosing the most appropriate one.
- Critical Thinking – Using structure, logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Organisational planning – organising and planning workload and priorities to meet targets on time and
- Entrepreneurship. Energetic self-starter who demonstrates strong resourcefulness and personal initiative.
- High level of energy and motivation
- Flexibility. Adaptable and comfortable in a fast-changing environment. Fast learner.
- Willing to contribute in areas beyond formal job description.
- Cross-cultural skills. Ability to operate effectively in a cross-cultural environment.
- Communication. Strong oral and written communication skills in both English and Kiswahili
- Uncompromising integrity
- A finisher – Ability to deliver finished work at the level of accuracy and detail desired.
Closing date : 30 October 2021.