Site Expertise France
Expertise France is hiring a Financial Intelligence expert.
Expertise France is the French public agency of international technical cooperation.
The agency intervenes in four main axes :
- democratic, economic and financial governance ;
- peace, stability and security ;
- climate, agriculture and sustainable development ;
- health and human development.
In these areas, Expertise France provides engineering and implementation missions for capacity building projects, mobilization of technical expertise involving public and private expertise.
With an activity volume of 148 million euros, a portfolio of more than 500 projects in 100 countries and 63,000 days of expertise delivered per year, Expertise France’s action is part of the policy of solidarity, influence and economic diplomacy of France. All of our job offers can be consulted on the Expertise France website.
Project Description : Organised Crime: West African Response to Money laundering and the financing of terrorism (OCWAR M)
The Organised Crime: West African Response to Money laundering and the financing of terrorism (OCWAR-M) project, financed under the 11th European Development Fund, aims to reduce money laundering and terrorism financing in the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS).
Its specific objective is the adoption and the effective implementation by the Inter-Governmental Action Group against Money Laundering in West Africa (GIABA) and ECOWAS Member States of international standards against money laundering and terrorist financing in order to improve the regional operational capacity.
This project is meant to strengthen the capacity of GIABA and ECOWAS Member States, and Mauritania, in the coordination of actions against money laundering and terrorist financing through:
- Technical assistance in assessing money laundering and terrorist financing (ML/TF) risks;
- Mutual evaluations of Member States to determine technical compliance with international standards and effectiveness of anti-money laundering and counter financing of terrorism (AML/CFT) systems; and
- Strengthen cooperation, coordination and capacity building among regional and national stakeholders involved in the fight against ML/TF.
The activities performed as part of this project will focus on four key results to be achieved :
- Result 1: ML/TF risks are well understood by ECOWAS Members States and actions better coordinated domestically to combat money laundering, terrorist financing and proliferation
- Result 2: ECOWAS Member States are able to achieve high level of compliance and are implementing effective and robust AML/CFT regimes in line with international standards
- Result 3: Domestic and international cooperation facilitating information sharing and the delivery of quality financial intelligence are improved as well as the capacity of competent authorities that pursue actions against criminals and their assets
- Result 4: GIABA’s own operational capacity is better understood and managed by its officers and accepted by ECOWAS Member States.
Job Description :
The first six months of the project (the inception phase) will be dedicated to an in-depth situation analysis through a series of fact-finding missions in each of the target countries in order to develop a project strategy and action plan tailored to beneficiaries needs and complementary to existing initiatives. A specific methodology has been developed by the project team for the inception phase.
As such, Expertise France is looking for Financial Intelligence experts who, under the supervision and guidance of Expertise France Project team in Paris and Dakar, will participate to the inception phase by taking part in specific country visits and by applying the developed methodology.
Qualifications and skills of the Financial Intelligence expert
- University degree (BA or MA or equivalent) in economics, finance, business administration, law, public policy or any other relevant discipline
- Excellent understanding of global standards and framework on Anti-Money Laundering and Counter Financing of Terrorism (AML/CFT)
- Excellent knowledge of the roles and operations of an FIU
- Good knowledge of FATF recommendations and methodology
- Excellent reporting and writing skills
- Capacity to develop long term strategic objectives and distinct steps to meet those objectives
- Demonstrated ability to exchange with all institutional levels/ high-ranking dialogue partners
- Ability to work in a team
- Capacity to work under pressure
- Demonstrated negotiating, cultural sensitivity and diplomatic skills
- Fluency in English and French; knowledge of Portuguese would be an asset
- At least 10 years of working experience in the field of AML/CFT
- At least 5 years of specific experience related to developing policies and programmes for combating money laundering and terrorist financing acquired in governments, consultancies and/or international organisations
- A minimum of 3 years of professional experience working in closed relationship with an FIU and/or collaboration with Ministries of Justice and Ministries of Finance
- Experience in advising or supporting administrations and providing technical assistance
- Experience in facilitating best practices sharing, establishing cross-sectoral institutional and private stakeholders’ networks (e.g. through workshops, study visits etc.)
- Proven experience of working in a multi-cultural environment
- Experience in sub-Saharan Africa **
- Mission area: ECOWAS and Mauritania
- Duration: Short term missions
- Starting date: As soon as possible
All applications must include the following:
- CV (EuropeAid format)
- Cover letter
If you do not receive a response within 3 weeks of the application deadline, please consider that your application has not been shortlisted.
The process of selection of expressions of interest will occur in two phases:
- As a first step, a shortlist will be freely established by Expertise France.
- Selected candidates may then be invited for an interview.