The Food Processing Advisor provides on-the-ground strategic advisory services to selected food processors at country level. In coordination with the Senior Business Development Specialist, S/he will support the development and delivery of standardized training addressing business and technical fundamentals of food processing. S/he will collaborate with other team members in-country and across the project, to ensure coordinated and impactful implementation.
- Support the food processing diagnostic assessments of selected processors to identify priority business and technical challenges.
- Share and discuss the assessment with the client to verify findings, seek clarifications and ensure a common understanding of the priorities. Use appropriate interview and business advisory methodologies to dig deeper and ensure that the root problems are identified.
- Contribute to categorization of selected processors partners into predefined segments to pair them with the appropriate level and sophistication of technical advice.
- Advise processors on a mix of technical and business challenges, helping them access appropriate expertise to operate more competitively and source more inclusively.
- Assist food processors to effectively access and choose Business Development Service providers to work with to address their technical and business challenges.
- Facilitate the launch of sector wide trainings to address common challenges in the marketplace affecting food processing and aggregation.
- Support the Senior Development Specialist, and local training institutes with technical input on identification of appropriate topics and development of curricula for sector wide training in support of broader industry development.
- Source and facilitate relevant expertise from partner company volunteer experts to support the food processors. Liaise between volunteers and processors to ensure clear expectations and smooth communication.
- As appropriate, develop and facilitate alignment on project charters for assigned processors.
- Understand all gender integration requirements (donor as well as internal to TechnoServe).
- Review gender targets and progress and make suggestions for course correction to country and program leadership, as necessary.
Required Skills and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Food Science or related area, Master’s degree preferred.
- Minimum of 3 years work experience in food processing, with at least 1 working in a manufacturing plant.
- Proven track record in providing technical solutions to food processors.
- Knowledge of Good Manufacturing Practice (GMP) and Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Points (HACCP) as well as worker safety.
- Strong project management and analytical skills.
- Strong interpersonal and cross-cultural skills.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills and good computer skills in business software (Excel, MS Project and PowerPoint).
- Strong English skills. Knowledge of French and Wolof will be an added advantage
We are hiring for positions, one in Saint Louis and one in Kolda.