The British Embassy is hiring a Francophone Network Translator.
The British Government is an inclusive and diversity-friendly employer. We value difference, promote equality and challenge discrimination, enhancing our organisational capability. We welcome and encourage applications from people of all backgrounds. We do not discriminate on the basis of disability, race, colour, ethnicity, gender identity, religion, sexual orientation, age, veteran status or other category protected by law. We promote family-friendly flexible working opportunities, where operational and security needs allow.
Job Description (Roles and Responsibilities)
Main purpose of job
The British Embassy is looking for a translator to join our team.
The successful candidate will be responsible for providing translations for our embassies across Francophone Africa. They will be expected translate external communication material for regional campaigns as well as official documents.
We are looking for a responsible self-starter who can also work well in a team managing competing demands. In return, they will be a key member of the embassy and the wider British diplomatic network. This is a chance to be engaged in an international environment, work on a number of projects and learn about British diplomacy.
Roles and responsibilities
This position will focus providing accurate and timely translation of communications and official material. There will also be opportunities to cover for other roles in the embassy.
- Translating official documents
- Translating communications material
- Administrative tasks, including logging translation requests
- Engaging with the regional communication hub based in Pretoria to manage translation requests
- Engaging with other posts in the region to provide them with timely translations
Essential qualifications, skills and experience
- Excellent communication skills (oral and written) in both English and French
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Experience in professional translation
- Ability to work to tight deadlines and multi-task effectively
- Good team-working skills and the ability to develop productive relationships with other teams around the network
Desirable qualifications, skills and experience
- Relevant qualification and/or relevant experience
- Familiarity with UK culture
- Changing and Improving, Managing a Quality Service, Delivering at Pace, Working Together
Grade: Administrative Assistant (AA)
Type of Position: Fixed Term
Duration of Post: 12 months
Location (City): Dakar
Type of Post: British Embassy
Salary: XOF 557,399 plus XOF 20,800 Transport Allowance
Start Date: 25 July 2022
Other benefits and conditions of employment
Please note this is one position advertised in two regions, the successful candidate will be based in either Dakar or Yaounde.
Application deadline: 27 June 2022.