IFDC is recruiting a Research Coordinator.
The Africa Region Office of the International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI) seeks a qualified candidate to serve as a Research Coordinator I. This position is a 2-year, fixed-term, exempt, renewable appointment based in Dakar (Senegal).
Specific duties and responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Lead and coordinate remote sensing, big data and predictive modeling work by the ReSAKSS team
- Lead the development of the ReSAKSS ClimateViewer as a production condition and output forecasting tool
- Coordinate and ensure proper operation and upgrading of the main ReSAKSS data platforms such as to consolidate their position as a premier destination for data and knowledge products to support the implementation of the Comprehensive Africa Agriculture Development Program
- Supervise the IT and GIS teams and coordinate training of collaborators to ensure proper operation of the above platforms with data that is up to date and has good geographic and thematic coverage to meet the dynamic needs of CAADP.
- Conduct data, statistical, and econometric analyses, including spatial econometrics and spatial statistics using biophysical and socio-economic datasets
- Lead the preparation of documents defining databases and analytical methods, and collaborate on writing technical articles and papers for presentation and publication
- Develop and strengthen relationships with country teams
- Manage and supervise staff in carrying out technical tasks
- Ph.D. in information technology, big data, geospatial science or geographic information systems
- Experience in application of artificial intelligence to big data modeling
- Significant experience in major statistical software packages such as MATLAB, STATA and geospatial software
- Proficient and experience in the use of an appropriate database, object-oriented, or procedural programming language supporting both the manipulation of large data bases and the utilization of spatial analytical programming tools such as VBA and Python. Familiarity with applying internet-based mapping tools and related languages (e.g. OpenLayer, HTML).
- Knowledge of metadata standards and formats.
- Demonstrated skills to use remote sensing and big data to model agricultural production or natural resource processes (e.g. crop simulation, soil degradation, crop-livestock systems)
- Results oriented, ability to communicate well, including the ability to generate quality written outputs describing technical work.
- Experience in coordinating research and capacity building related to agricultural and border development issues and ability to train others effectively
- Excellent interpersonal and organizational skills and ability to work cooperatively in a across multiple linguistic, cultural, and political environments.
- Willingness and ability to travel
- Excellent written and spoken English and French
- Experience in working in a multicultural environment
- Familiarity with development issues in Africa