Site IntraHealth International
IntraHealth International is hiring a Senior Data Scientist.
Why Join IntraHealth?
At IntraHealth, we are a global team of creative, committed humanitarians on a mission. We are advocates, technologists, health workers, and communicators. Program officers, finance experts, and technical leaders. We are passionate and diverse. And we’re united in our belief that everyone everywhere should have the health care they need to thrive. That’s why we work every day to improve the performance of health workers around the world and strengthen the systems in which they work.
For almost 40 years in over 100 countries, IntraHealth has partnered with local communities to make sure health workers are present where they’re needed most, ready to do the job, connected to the technology they need, and safe to do their very best work.
Our programs are designed with a deep understanding of and appreciation for the context of human rights, gender equality and discrimination, economic empowerment, and changing populations. And the longstanding relationships we’ve built with government agencies, private-sector partners, and members of civil society make our efforts stronger and more effective.
Join us and together we can make lasting changes in global health—for all of us.
Summary of Job
The Senior Data Scientist will work with IntraHealth staff and partners to leverage the power of data to meet program goals. This will include problem scoping, goal definition, evaluating maturity data, and producing valuable insights from this data. They will also share their skills with the IntraHealth data community and communicate the power of our data science projects through public outreach. S/he will uncover new data relationships, create tailored insights, craft impactful visualizations, and deliver compelling stories from data, as they collaborate across global teams to generate new methodologies.
The role is poised for significant career growth as the lead for an emerging Data Science service that can grow to serve all IntraHealth programs and partners with:
- Open standards in global health information systems
- Open source global goods that support country ownership
- Accessible analytics products that natively increase user capacity
Essential Functions of the Senior Data Scientist
- Assist in gaining access to applicable national-level datasets, and prepare and augment acquired data to make them useful for data science purposes.
- Build robust structured experiments, causal inference methods, and machine learning models in collaboration with our projects and partners.
- Write clear documentation of work processes and “how-to” guides that will complement and amplify our data science acumen.
- Work with Communications and Programs teams to produce compelling stories that communicate the power of data science to improve health outcomes.
- Develop new data science services that improve global health outcomes
- Develop use cases and demonstration projects showcasing the power of data science in health systems strengthening and in supporting direct service delivery
- Design and build processes for evaluating and incorporating a variety of new datasets, integrate new systems with existing in-house structures
- Provide architecture guidance and support to technical leads involved in data analytics activities
- Contribute to data mining architectures, modeling standards, reporting, and data analysis methodologies
- Collaborate with stakeholders to integrate data mining results with existing systems
- Work with technical staff to develop and refine data storage frameworks that are optimized for analytical use
- Design and construct large databases. Process, clean, and verify the integrity of data used for analysis
- Implement approaches to harmonize unaligned datasets to support analysis and data-driven decision making
- Perform ad-hoc exploratory statistics and data mining tasks on diverse datasets from small scale to big data
The successful applicant will have a strong quantitative background, experience working with statistical packages, an ambitious mindset, and enthusiasm for improving global health outcomes. They will be able to communicate complex data concepts and methods to a non-technical audience. Preference will be given to applicants with knowledge of machine learning, working proficiency in French, and experience in emerging economies.
- Master’s degree in a field such as science, statistics, econometrics, political science, computer science, or applied mathematics and at least 10 years of relevant work experience or a PhD in a related field and at least 8 years of relevant experience.
- Knowledgeable in predictive and causal analyses using Python and/or R, such as experience:
- querying relational databases, including PostgreSQL and NoSQL.
- visualizing/presenting data using open source tools such as Apache Superset and RStudio, or proprietary platforms such as Power BI and Tableau.
- with field experiments and experimental design preferred.
- in supervised and unsupervised machine learning techniques: statistical tests, regression, Random Forest, Boosting, PLS, DNN, K-means clustering, etc.
- in deriving causal estimates from structured experiments, and causal inference methods (e.g. regression adjustment, propensity score stratification), or quasi-experimental methods (e.g., instrumental variables, regression dis
- and comfort with geospatial analysis
- Strong, self-starter with an emphasis on delivering results and communicating proactively with management and collaborators.
- Excellent team building, management, and mentoring skills; ability to work successfully with teams across the organization.
- Excellent technical writing, editing, and presentation skills, including visual depiction of insights and ideas.
- Excellent project and time management and execution skills, with the ability to prioritize and meet deadlines and work on multiple projects simultaneously.
- Experience working in healthcare and/or development with LMICs with demonstrated understanding of data collection and analysis challenges and trends related to global health a plus.
- Fluency in English required, French, Spanish, or Kiswahili language skills a plus.
Working Conditions/Physical Requirements
- Minimum noise levels in an office environment
- Ability to travel locally and internationally approximately 30% of the time
- Position is based in an office, requiring sitting at a desk most of the day
- Requires lifting of 0-10 lbs. occasionally or as needed
- Location: Chapel Hill, NC, DC area, other countries in which IntraHealth is registered.