The International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI) seeks a qualified candidate to serve as Manager of Administration & Corporate Services for a one-year, renewable appointment in the Finance and Administration Division. The Manager of Administration & Corporate Services AFR is responsible for the overall coordination of administrative matters between IFPRI’s headquarters in Washington DC and the IFPRI regional and country/project offices in Africa.
The position provides management and operational support to IFPRI regional and country/project offices in Africa including related administrative aspects of current and new corporate partnerships in Africa. This position is based in Dakar, Senegal.
Specific Duties include but are not limited to:
- Lead finance and administration functions of the Dakar office, providing operational support and oversight of day-to-day office activities.
- Provide management support and oversight of the financial and administrative operations of IFPRI Regional and country/project offices in Africa, including functions such as budgeting, contracts and grants, human resources, facilities and IT management.
- Work closely with key administrative departments at IFPRI headquarters for accounting, human resources, computer services and facilities/office services, in the development of and roll-out of IFPRI-wide policy and procedure changes, providing guidance and training as needed to regional and country offices to ensure that the quality of operational support meets IFPRI operations standards.
- Regular analysis of operations capacity of IFPRI offices in Africa, identifying and making recommendations regarding opportunities for improvement in IFPRI’s administrative operations and processes, and undertaking new initiatives as agreed.
- Build strong relationships with Country Office Heads and Country Administrative and Finance Managers, providing advice, guidance, and support in all areas of operations and ensuring compliance with IFPRI policies and procedures.
- Financial reporting oversight for IFPRI regional and country offices in Africa, and supervision and management of the Hub Finance and Administration unit team, ensuring compliance with IFPRI and donor standards, policies and procedures and processes.
- Participation in the formulation of annual budgets and capital plans for IFPRI offices in Africa.
- Provide management oversight to ensure that proper financial controls are in place and processes are compliant with correct accounting procedures, providing strategic direction in developing options for addressing any weaknesses.
- Monitor projects in African locations on an as required basis.
- Facilitate decision-making on human resource (HR) matters relating to IFPRI offices in Africa (policies and procedures, labor law compliance, staffing, recruitment, conflict resolution, etc.)
- Work to build the capacity of finance, administrative staff members throughout IFPRI offices in Africa through regular training sessions and mentoring support.
- Contribute to the internal and external audit preparations for IFPRI offices in Africa and provide support on the implementation of audit recommendations and actions.
- Bachelor’s degree plus twelve years of relevant professional experience or Master’s degree plus ten years of relevant experience.
- Minimum of four years management experience.
- Excellent verbal, written and interpersonal skills.
- Strong customer service skills.
- Ability to work effectively with all levels of organizations, including regional partners and donors.
- Ability to work autonomously, yet keep others informed.
- Ability to work in a multicultural setting.
- Excellent attention to details.
- Fluency in French is highly preferred.
Physical Demand & Work environment:
- Employee will sit in an upright position for a long period of time with little opportunity to move/stretch
- Employee will lift between 0-10 pounds
- Employee is required to have close visual acuity to perform activities such as: preparing and analyzing data and figures; transcribing; viewing computer terminal; extensive reading.