Site Mercy Ships
Mercy Ships is recruiting a Project Coordinator Safe Surgery.
Organizes, facilitates and coordinates the Medical Capacity Building Safe Surgery project. The project covers training on topics such as teamwork and communication, implementation of the World Health Organization Surgical Safety Checklist, the use of pulse oximetry and
surgical counting, amongst others and will take place in local hospitals selected for training by Mercy Ships in collaboration with the Ministry of Health.
This position involves traveling throughout the host country by Mercy Ships vehicle (where possible), bus, taxi, and/or plane, and staying in local guesthouses and/or hotels. When not actively engaged in training (weekends and holidays) the position will be based either on board or in Mercy Ships off-ship housing. This position is part of a team consisting of 1-2 Safe Surgery Project Facilitator(s) and two local Doctors interested in Global Surgery, who act both as translators as well as facilitators.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities of the Project Coordinator Safe Surgery
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily:
- Using Mercy Ships designed Safe Surgery curriculum and materials, responsible for teaching local health professionals. If necessary, responsible for updating, adjusting and developing curriculum and materials, such as PowerPoint Presentations and lamination.
- Responsible for leading the Safe Surgery Project Team, ensuring organization of resources for successful outcome of training objectives.
- Responsible for ensuring good and clear communication among the team members as well as with the Medical Capacity Building Director and Project Manager – Safe Surgery.
- Surgical Safety Checklist throughout the host country, providing insightful information for the Medical Capacity Building Director and
- Responsible for training the two local doctors that are part of the Safe Surgery Project Team on the training materials so they can successfully prepare for and actually assist in facilitating the training.
- Responsible for organizing logistics off ship, building relationships and maintaining clear lines of communication with off ship partners, such as local authorities, local hospitals, accommodations and other partner organizations both before, during and between the initial training and follow-up visits.
- Project Manager – Safe Surgery in preparing (final) reports and adjusting the curriculum if necessary.
- Responsible for organizing logistics on ship before and after trips and maintaining clear lines of communication with on ship departments.
- Responsible for maintaining records of participants, curriculum updates and changes, location-specific teaching, materials and equipment donations, and evaluation data to ensure among others thorough documentation of the implementation of the World Health Organization
- Responsible for collecting data in each training hospital, performing baseline assessments using standardized questionnaires on facility data, staff attitudes and course feedback, providing valuable and insightful information for both internal and external reports.
- Other duties as assigned
Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, and Requirements)
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required:
- Supportive of Mercy Ships mission and vision, and committed to its core values
- Understand and apply servant leadership, work collaboratively with integrity and demonstrate accountability
- Able to live in and contribute to community life, requiring stable and healthy interpersonal skills
- Able to lead and manage a diverse team through strong communication, problem-solving and planning skills
- Must possess cross-cultural awareness and sensitivity
- Able to organize and plan work effectively within a team and organizational context
- Able to lead, work and live intensively with an international team
- Must be comfortable living and working in non-Western environment
- Able and must have a desire to teach others
- Must be flexible and able to cope with stressful situations
- Able to make sound management decisions in difficult situations
- Must have excellent written and oral communication skills
- Must be fluent in English
- French language skills – International B1 Level (or equivalent) preferred
- Must have a full, clean driving license. Will be expected to drive as part of responsibilities
- International Driver’s License required (obtain prior to arrival on board)
Education and Experience
The requirements listed below are representative of the education and/or experience required:
- Medical qualification in surgery, anesthesia, or similar discipline (Doctor or Nurse) required
- Experience in using the World Health Organization Surgical Safety Checklist required
- Previous Mercy Ships experience preferred
- Experience in teaching preferred
- Experience working cross-culturally is preferred
On board the Africa Mercy (Hospital Ship)
Minimum commitment: 10 months
Typical Service commitment: 3 – 12 months
Starting in August 2019
More questions? Don’t hesitate and contact us: email@example.com
Pour postuler, veuillez cliquer sur le lien suivant : apply.mercyships.org.
Très important : Méfiez vous des arnaques ! Vous ne devez payer, en aucun cas, des sommes d'argent aux recruteurs utilisant la plateforme EmploiDakar.com
Décrochez plus d’entretiens de recrutement avec le service de rédaction de CV professionnel et lettre de motivation de notre partenaire TopCV. Commandez votre CV professionnel.