Site Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC)
NRC Central and West Africa region is composed of country offices in Burkina Faso/Niger, Cameroon, Central African Republic, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Mali, and Nigeria. All countries are experiencing a deterioration of the security situation, increasing humanitarian needs and displacements due to conflict. Aid workers continue to be affected by security incidents across the region. Shrinking humanitarian space also places aid workers at a greater risk. COVID-19 has produced additional challenges in terms of medical evacuations in an already complex context. The expansion of Non-State Armed Groups has challenged application of International Humanitarian Law by state security forces contributes to risks faced by communities as well as NRC’s staff.
The Central and West Africa Regional Office (CWARO) oversees the country programmes in the region, and provides strategic guidance and oversight across core programme, advocacy and support functions.
Role and responsibilities
The regional Advocacy Coordinator will play a role in supporting the implementation of the advocacy components of two regional projects that focus on Central Sahel (Burkina Faso, Mali, Niger) on the following topics: Education in Emergencies; humanitarian access (with specific focus on civil military coordination issues). The Regional Advocacy Coordinator will provide support for the implementation of advocacy, communication and media activities both at regional and country level.
- Coordinate the preparation of high-quality briefings, letters, position papers and other written materials for internal and external use, ensuring strong evidence-base in messaging and following agreed sign-off procedures
- Develop/update and implement communication and media strategies and action plans in relation to the two regional projects.
- Develop communication materials to support advocacy activities, in support to the regional media advisers (press releases, social media posts, media updates, photos, etc.)
- Support the organisation of advocacy events and trainings (logistics, including flights booking, accommodation, venue, etc.)
- Support the mapping of stakeholders (civil society, local authorities, local journalists) to be carried out in Burkina Faso, Mali and Niger
- Participate in relevant work groups, meetings and consultations
- Support the management and monitoring of project implementation: draft the minutes of project meetings, provide regular progress reports, support the development of project reports, etc.
- Support the provision of high-quality analysis on the humanitarian situation in Central Sahel, pertaining to displacement-affected, contributing to improved NRC programmatic response and informing internal and external advocacy products
- Ensure advocacy coherence and reinforce effective synergies between programmes and advocacy to develop products and initiatives with a NRC-evidence base.
- Participate in efforts to ensure systematic training on advocacy media and communication and build capacity of staff
- Ensure that relevant Country Office staffs are informed and briefed on prioritized advocacy issues
- Support the development of a media network at the regional level with international and local journalists
Find more details here: JD Regional Advocacy Coordinator
What We Offer
- Female candidates are strongly encouraged to join our work culture that empowers every employee to share ideas and take responsibility: At NRC we think outside the box. We encourage ideas and give responsibility to all employees at all levels, to help solve the complex issues that we face.
- You will have many opportunities to be heard and take the initiative
- 12 months fixed term contract
- An opportunity to match your career to a compelling cause
- A chance to meet and work with people who are the best in their fields
Internal candidates are encouraged to apply but we are also open to external applicants who can show a commitment to NRC and being part of a challenging, but important mission to make a difference.
To apply as an internal candidate, click on the suitcase icon “I am an employee” on the top right of the page to be redirected to NRC’s internal career site
**Apply by completing all the system required fields of your experience in your application**