UNESCO is hiring a Programme specialist (social and human sciences).
- Post Number : 6SNSHS0001RP
- Grade : P-4
- Parent Sector : Social and Human Sciences Sector (SHS)
- Duty Station: Dakar
- Job Family: Social and Human Sciences
- Type of contract : Fixed Term
- Duration of contract : 2 years
- Recruitment open to : Internal and external candidates
UNESCO Core Values: Commitment to the Organization, Integrity, Respect for Diversity, Professionalism
Overview of the functions of the post
The UNESCO Multisectoral Regional Office in Dakar represents UNESCO in seven West African countries (Burkina Faso, Cabo Verde, the Gambia, Guinea-Bissau, Mali, Niger and Senegal) in all UNESCO’s fields of competence, namely Education, Natural Sciences, Social and Human Sciences, Culture as well as Communication & Information. UNESCO Dakar’s mission is to:
- Document and analyze the situation and major development trends of the Organization’s fields of competence in the countries covered by the Office (Burkina Faso, Cabo Verde, Guinea-Bissau, Mali, Niger, Senegal and the Gambia).
- Ensure that education, sciences, culture, communication and information are placed high on Member States’ development agenda.
- Support Member States in achieving the Sustainable Development Goals in UNESCO’s fields of competence by means of policy advice, capacity development, technical assistance and knowledge sharing.
- Promote partnership and networking with and between Governments, multilateral agencies, civil society organizations, academic community and other relevant institutions in collaboration with the national commissions for UNESCO, UNESCO chairs, clubs and associated schools.
Under the overall authority of the Assistant Director-General for Social and Human Sciences (SHS) and the direct supervision of the Director of the Office, the incumbent will be responsible for the design, implementation, monitoring, evaluation and reporting of the UNESCO Social and Human Science Programme for the countries covered by the Office. He/she will ensure SHS’s contribution to the United Nations Country Team’s (UNCT) programmatic work and Delivering as One exercise in the countries covered by the Office. In particular, the incumbant will :
- Manage, coordinate, implement and monitor SHS programmes in the countries covered by the office, in line with the C/5 Programme and Budget document, the UNESCO Country Programming Documents, the countries’ United Nations Development Assistance Framework (UNDAF) and other common UN strategic country instruments, particularly through capacity-building, policy advice, technical assistance, and networking of relevant stakeholders in the SHS Sector’s fields of competence.
- Provide strategic and operational advice to Governments in close cooperation with the SHS Sector at Headquarters, National Commissions, as well as international and regional organizations and universities, in SHS thematic areas. Provide input, including data and statistics for the preparation of reports and briefings on the implementation of programmes and projects.
- Develop strategic partnerships and mobilize extra-budgetary resources to reinforce the Regular Programme.
- Promote and strengthen partnerships and networking, as well as research and capacity-building, on SHS Sector priority areas namely with African social scientists’ organizations.
- Increase the relevance and the impact of SHS programs on the ground, including the flagships:
- Recommendation on Ethics of AI; Youth in general, and Youth as researchers; MOST: Fit for Life; Antiracism and discrimination; gender stereotypes and mentalities; Inclusive Policy Lab; Art lab, Intercultural dialogue; Neuroscience, antidoping in sports; people with disabilities.
- Create synergies between needs on the ground and what UNESCO and SHS can offer. Follow up on the cooperation with the Youth Olympics 2026.
Competencies (Core / Managerial)
- Communication (C)
- Accountability (C)
- Innovation (C)
- Knowledge sharing and continuous improvement (C)
- Planning and organizing (C)
- Results focus (C)
- Teamwork (C)
- Professionalism (C)
For detailed information, please consult the UNESCO Competency Framework.
Advanced university degree in the field of social and human sciences, political science or a related discipline.
- Minimum 7 years of progressive relevant professional experience in the areas of social and human sciences at national and international level.
- Experience in one or more of the following thematic areas: management of social transformations, social inclusion, intercultural dialogue, bioethics and ethics of science and technology, youth and sport.
- Experience in conducting research and producing research papers.
Skills and Competencies
- Good knowledge of UNESCO’s work in the field, and familiarity with SHS Sector activities.
- Good analytical, organizational and project management skills.
- Proven ability to communicate (in writing and oral), advocate, and negotiate with colleagues, staff and stakeholders at all levels within and outside the organization.
- Proven ability to provide high-level advice and technical support in public policy, planning and research.
- Strong sense of responsibility, tact and discretion.
- Excellent coordination and interpersonal skills, flexibility, drive and enthusiasm.
- Capacity to build and maintain effective working relations with national/local authorities, relevant institutions, intergovernmental and non-governmental organizations.
- Ability to participate effectively in high-level negotiations with internal and external partners.
- Knowledge of fund-raising and other resource mobilization mechanisms.
- Ability to work in a team in a multi-cultural environment.
- Solid IT skills including knowledge of office software.
- Familiarity with the work and general functioning of international organizations and/or the United Nations System
- Excellent knowledge (spoken and written) of French.
- Working knowledge of English.
Advanced university degree (Ph.D or equivalent level) in social and human sciences or a related discipline.
- Demonstrated experience in international cooperation programmes.
- Experience in fund raising and resource mobilization.
- Demonstrated experience in establishing and maintaining professional networks.
- Research and analysis in the fields relevant to the post as demonstrated through authored peer-reviewed publications.
Knowledge of other official language of UNESCO (Arabic, Chinese, Russian and/or Spanish)
Benefits and entitlements
UNESCO’s salaries consist of a basic salary and other benefits which may include if applicable: 30 days annual leave, family allowance, medical insurance, pension plan etc.
For full information on benefits and entitlements, please consult our Guide to Staff Benefits.
Selection and recruitment process
Please note that all candidates must complete an on-line application and provide complete and accurate information. To apply, please visit the UNESCO careers website. No modifications can be made to the application submitted.
The evaluation of candidates is based on the criteria in the vacancy notice, and may include tests and/or assessments, as well as a competency-based interview.
UNESCO uses communication technologies such as video or teleconference, e-mail correspondence, etc. for the assessment and evaluation of candidates.
Please note that only selected candidates will be further contacted and candidates in the final selection step will be subject to reference checks based on the information provided.
UNESCO applies a zero tolerance policy against all forms of harassment.
UNESCO is committed to achieve and sustain gender parity among its staff members in all categories and at all grades. Furthermore, UNESCO is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities, as well as nationals from non-and under-represented Member States (last update here) are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the highest level of confidentiality. Worldwide mobility is required for staff members appointed to international posts.
UNESCO does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process.
Application Deadline (Midnight Paris Time) : 31-JAN-2022