UNESCO hiring Programme Specialist (Education).
Duties and responsibilities
Under the overall authority of the Assistant Director-General for Education (ADG/ED), the functional authority of the Director of the UNESCO Multi-sectoral Regional Office in Dakar, and the direct supervision of the Chief of Education Section, the incumbent will support the planning, coordination and implementation of the regional Programme on Technical and Vocational Education and Training (TVET) and manage a team of staff working in the area of skills for life and the world of work. In particular, the incumbent will perform the following functions:
1. Programme Design and Management
- Coordinate, plan, monitor and implement the Office’s Programme on Skills for life and the world of work (Literacy, TVET, STEM, Higher Education). Identify focus areas within the Member States national priorities and in alignment with the UNESCO Strategy for TVET (2022-2029), the UN and other development partners’ approaches and strategies. Recommend programmes and approaches to respond to multi-sectoral development challenges.
- Develop, support and monitor programmes and strategies with regard to the Sustainable Development Goals 4 (SDG4-Education 2030) and 8 (SDG8-Employment), the UN Development Assistance Frameworks (UNDAF) and UNESCO Country Strategy (UCS) documents, including in areas of education policy, planning and management in particular in the area of skills for life and the world of work.
- Lead the secretariat of the multi-partner initiative on digital transformation of TVET and skills development in Africa.
2. Policy Advice and Technical Assistance
- Initiate and develop policy advice, methodological tools and technical assistance to Ministries of Education and other key stakeholders to implement regional and country-level programme activities, in particular in areas of skills for life and the world of work planning, resource projections and information management systems with a focus on TVET.
- Develop, implement and monitor research activities, technical assistance projects, capacity development Programmes and related funding proposals on policy and technical issues pertinent to TVET and skills development in the region.
3. Knowledge Management, Partnerships and Resources Mobilization
- Develop knowledge base and implement outreach strategies, aimed at expanding and communicating UNESCO programmes on skills for life and the world of work with a focus on TVET.
- Mobilize and network, in collaboration with UNESCO Specialized Institutes (especially IIEP, UIL, UIS) and UNESCO International Centre (especially UNEVOC), with national, regional and international partners, including in the context of the Regional Coordination Group on SDG4 – Education 2030.
- Mobilize resources to support skills development policy analysis, planning and system development in the region, by preparing project proposals and cooperation frameworks with Member States and donor agencies and by engaging in fundraising activities.
- Advanced university degree (Master’s or equivalent) in education policy, science, engineering, economics, or related field.
- Minimum seven (7) years of progressively responsible relevant professional experience in the field of education and training, of which preferably 3 years acquired at the international level.
- Experience in formulating, implementing and monitoring TVET-related policies, strategies, programmes/projects.
- Experience in reviewing and analysing TVET-related policies.
Skills and Competencies
- Excellent coordination and interpersonal skills, and ability to manage staff and teams in a multicultural environment.
- Analytical skills and ability to collect, synthesize and analyze information from various sources.
- Proven ability to identify emerging development trends and educational needs.
- Ability to provide policy advice and assistance to policy and decision makers.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, including the ability to prepare, present and discuss findings and recommendations clearly and concisely.
- Demonstrated ability to plan strategically, and to translate strategy into priorities and action.
- Ability to coordinate and negotiate with partners, network and different stakeholders.
- Very good IT skills, knowledge of Media and Information Literacy (MIL).
- Excellent knowledge (written and spoken) of English or French, and good knowledge of the other language.
Application deadline: 13 August 2022.