UNOWAS is hiring a Public Information Assistant-Website.
The United Nations Office for West Africa and the Sahel (UNOWAS) is looking for a highly motivated and results oriented team player to join a dynamic team.
Duration of contract
One (01) year renewable subject to mandate and post extension.
The United Nations Office for West Africa and the Sahel (UNOWAS) is entrusted with the overall mandate of enhancing the contributions of the UN towards the achievement of peace and security in West Africa and the Sahel. It engages in preventive diplomacy, good offices and political mediation and facilitation in countries in West Africa and the Sahel.
The Public Information Assistant-Website position within the Strategic Communications and Public Information section (SCPIO) is central to the overall communication strategy of the United Nations Office for West Africa and the Sahel (UNOWAS) and its respective engagements with regional and international partners. The webmaster plays an important role in developing, and ensuring the use of professional digital media platforms aiming at enhancing the visibility of the office’s achievements and promoting its contribution to conflict prevention and peace consolidation in West Africa and the Sahel.
Major duties and responsibilities
- Under the direct supervision of the Chief of the Strategic Communications and Public Information section, the incumbent performs the following duties:
- Manages the website on a daily basis: technical support, content and information uploads, and assists in the development of the office web-site using interfaces, templates and other standard graphic and web design software;
- Initiates the development, programming, testing and implementation of institutional Digital platforms developed in Drupal; including modules and functionalities, content types, layouts and basic visual design, workflows, data migration and custom functionalities
- In consultation with the SCPIO team, suggests and reviews content to be posted and edits the documents and graphic material as required;
- Serves as the focal point for the planning, specification, design, and development of the website and social media platforms, including implementation and support of design/style sheets;
- Provides guidance and support the use of interfaces, templates and other tools developed for posting information on the site;
- Designs and prepares the layouts for various key periodic reports and documents, such as the quarterly print and digital UNOWAS Magazine;
- Drafts web stories and content to be placed on office digital media platforms ( in English and French);
- Serves as the focal point for monitoring social medias contents of interest to the office, and ensure regular postings on the various digital platforms of the office;
- Provides specialized assistance in the production and delivery of information communications products and services, including ensuring photo coverage as needed; Researches a broad scope of information sources, printed and electronic; compile and present information for use in the preparation and production of communications products/services for external audiences;
- Organizes and executes special events, coordinating with sections and diverse partners and the media to highlight and publicize key events;
- Keeps abreast of developments in the field;
performs benchmarking and proposes new acquisitions;
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Professionalism: Knowledge of organizational information infrastructure, including hardware, software and application systems. Knowledge of relevant programming language(s) and ability to use programming skills to develop information systems. Knowledge of system development workflow and document flow processes, ability to conduct research and gather information from a wide variety of standard and non-standard sources.
- Ability to respond to changing requirements and assignments, ability to apply good judgment in the context of assignments given. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Commitment to implementing the goal of gender equality by ensuring the equal participation and full involvement of women and men in all aspects of work;
- Creativity: Actively seeks to improve programmes or services; offers new and different options to solve problems or meet client needs; promotes and persuades others to consider new ideas; takes calculated risks on new and unusual ideas; thinks “outside the box”; takes an interest in new ideas and new ways of doing things; is not bound by current thinking or traditional approaches;
- Planning and organization: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently; keeps clients informed.
- Education: High school diploma or equivalent is required. Vocational degree in marketing, graphic, design, communication, or web development are desirable.
- Experience: A minimum of seven (7) years of experience in public communication, marketing, information management or related area are required. Experience in managing Drupal CMS for websites is desirable.
- Language: English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the position advertised, fluency in French and English (both oral and written) is required. Knowledge of another official language of United Nations is an advantage.
Applicants meeting the above qualifications are requested to submit the following only:
- Cover letter Completed and signed P-11 form (please note the P11- Form is available on the UNOWAS Website at www.unowas.unmissions.org )
- Copy of Diplomas and Degrees
- Applications should be submitted by email to email@example.com no later than 12 June 2021.
Note: Please indicate clearly the vacancy number and title in the email subject. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Evaluation of qualified candidates for this position may include a written assessment followed by a competency-based interview.
Closing date: 12/06/2021