MSF is hiring a Regional Energy Referent for Central and West Africa – Dakar.
Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) is an international humanitarian aid organization that provides assistance in more than 60 countries to populations in distress, to victims of natural or manmade disasters and to victims of armed conflicts, without discrimination and irrespective of origin, religion, creed or political affiliation.
MSF Belgium (OCB) Logistics Department’s mission is to provide the logisticians in the project, access to resources (information, knowledge, technical support) and professional developments (learning, etc.) for them to be able to carry out their mission.
Energy production and use is key for MSF’s operations. MSF activities are increasing in number and complexity and ensuring quality energy production has become more important in recent years. Energy basics need to be ensured in all projects to ensure safety of people, protection of devices and continuity of service. Innovative short-term and long-term energy solutions adapted to MSF’s different operational realities are needed; solutions focused on beneficiaries and staff health, and which are appropriate for contexts or environments.
Based in Dakar, the position of Regional Energy Referent for Central and West Africa is part of the NRJ Team within the Log Support Unit (LSU) of the Logistics Department and is under the line management of the Energy & HVAC Team Leader. The NRJ Team is composed of a Team Leader and 2 Energy Specialists (based in OCB HQ in Brussels); 2 Mobile Implementation Officers (MIO): 1 for Energy and 1 for HVAC & Cold Chain (mainly in the field); 1 Regional HVAC Referent for Middle East (based in Lebanon) and 1 Regional Energy Referent for Central and West Africa (based in Dakar).
With the LogCells support and the Energy & HVAC Team Leader, s/he will be able to give support to the MSF OCB missions and projects in the Central and West African regions in second line (complex and contextualized support) and third line (response to a medium or long-term approach based on a process of continuous improvement and innovation), and exceptionally in first line (support on basic knowledge and standard existing support). S/he will be coordinated with the Energy & HVAC Team Leader and the Energy Team to improve and/or implement the MSF policies, processes, tools and techniques related. S/he will be proactive to evaluate and propose solutions in line to her/his technical domain. S/he will allow to increase decision-making closer to the region reality: reactivity, reliability, rapidity.
The aim of the Regional Energy Referent for Central and West Africa is to help on the implementation of the energy vision, always ensuring the safety of the people, the protection of equipment, and the continuity of the electrical service. S/he will implement or improve practices in the field for an effective and efficient design, installation, management, and use of the energy settings.
- S/he is the central point for technical support requests, and answers questions coming from the Logistics Coordinators and LogCells in her/his geographic area, if necessary with support from the Energy & HVAC Team Leader and the Energy Specialist
- S/he contributes with the Energy & HVAC Team Leader and the LogCells by giving feedback of the functional status of the Energy conditions in running projects.
- S/he assists and gives advice on the setup of Energy settings in starting or running missions in terms of technical needs, human resources, trainings, and external contractors according to MSF framework.
- Gives strategical and first line technical support for those Missions/Projects where a local expertise is not available; s/he exceptionally helps the projects to best design and maintain Energy equipment installed in the supported countries in the West and Central Africa regions
- Market Assessment of local/regional Distributors/Suppliers including after sales services.
- Harmonization of the Energy support in the region.
- High level analyses of recurrent issues.
Provide specialized 2nd line support in the Energy domain in the region and contribute to the reflection on the impact of this 2nd line support on the 3rd line developments:
- To support the Log Field Team on evaluation of regional external suppliers, maintenance contracts, regional purchase and outsourced Energy services and equipment.
- To support the Log Field Team to solve interdisciplinary technical problems affecting the optimal functionality of the Energy equipment with regards to electrical or water supply, infrastructural concerns, infection control matters, among others
- Contribute to ensure that each/most of 2nd line support has an impact on the 3rd line developments and has proper capitalization
- To ensure the MIO Energy and Energy Managers working in the region have the necessary technical support and guidance
Provide support to the Energy & HVAC Team Leader in 3rd line support tools development, such as:
- Reinforce capacities by organizing Energy technical training adapted to the region, of which s/he defines content and methodology
- Guidelines for designing and maintaining complex Energy settings (i.e. solar systems or synchronized generators)
- Follow-up and supervise outsourced projects and developments in the region maintaining a database of external contractors and providers, giving advice on contracts between the missions under her/his responsibility and 3rd parties in energy matters
- Job descriptions of Mission Energy Referents, Managers and Specialists, and/or Energy and cold chain Technicians in the region.
- Regional market assessment of Energy equipment.
- Build a network to support the Log Community on the Energy domain in the Region.
Provide specialized 1st line support in Energy domain, in very specific cases when no other solution is possible:
- To support the Log Field Team on the design, installation, use, maintenance and commissioning of the energy settings (hospitals and health centers, bases and residences).
- To support the Log Field Team to design, organize, coordinate and follow up the implementation or rehabilitation of complex and/or large Energy settings.
- To support the Log Field Team on functional evaluation of Energy setups as well as in proposing new solutions.
- To support the field to increase the abilities and capacities of the field team in the Energy domain.
- To improve and/or implement in the field the MSF basics, protocols, tools and techniques related to Energy solutions (design, installation and maintenance).
- To analyze the needs for maintenance in the different projects and give recommendations for HR ideal setup.
- Follow up and ensure the reporting on the progress of the Energy activities following the adequate lines of communications.
- To study local regulations that impact the use and safety of Energy equipment.
- To facilitate the clarification of roles and responsibilities, between different technical families and users for appropriate management of Energy equipment in the field.
- To evaluate in the field the possibilities and advantages of collaboration with the other technical families: HVAC, construction, telecom, environmental health (watsan), biomed, health facilities management.
- Engineering background in energy.
- Minimum 5 years of professional experience in Energy projects with experience in related position of which at least 1 year with MSF or another INGO
- Relevant work experience in the West and Central Africa region is an asset
- Relevant work experience in health structures is an asset
- Certificates in technical maintenance are an asset
- Experience in coaching and training of staff
- Excellent written and oral communications skills
- Good oral and written communication in English and French
- Ability to plan and organize in stressful environment
- Mobile & flexible
- Good analytical skills
- Proactive and willing to propose innovative ideas and solutions rapidly
- Ability to set priorities and organize his/her own work
- Result, quality & service oriented
- Good teamwork and cooperation capacity
- Willing to take measured risks and responsibility for her/his choices
- Originally from the region is an asset
- Engineering or technical background with experience in renewable and non-renewable energies.
- Ability to design & propose complex Energy setups, including maintenance, planning and procurement
- Ability to compare technical specifications of Energy equipment
- Ability to design & deliver technical trainings
- Good understanding of Heating, Ventilation and Air Conditioning
- Good understanding of sustainable building design (alt. low energy building design, energy efficient building design, or passive construction energy systems) and insulation techniques is an asset.
- Proficiency AutoCAD user
- Expected starting date: October 2021
- Contract type: 1 year local contract (extendable for 1 more year), full time
- Location: based in Dakar but mainly carried out (up to 75% of the time) in the field
- Adhere to the MSF principles and to our managerial values: Respect, Transparency, Integrity, Accountability, Trust and Empowerment
- Adhere to the MSF Behavioral Commitments
How to apply?
Please, send your CV and cover letter to Recruit-HQ-Log@brussels.msf.org and mention “Regional Energy Referent” in the subject of your email.
Deadline for applications: September 22nd, 2021