Site Catholic Relief Services
Catholic Relief Services hiring Regional Manager Ethics, Investigations and Prevention.
Catholic Relief Services is the official international humanitarian agency of the Catholic community in the United States. CRS works to save, protect, and transform lives in need in more than 100 countries, without regard to race, religion or nationality. CRS’ relief and development work is accomplished through programs of emergency response, HIV, health, agriculture, education, microfinance and peacebuilding.
The Regional Ethics Manager will be the point person for one or more regions for prevention, detection & response to fraud and safeguarding violations. S/he will provide ongoing support to CPs on safeguarding & fraud prevention and manage and lead a team of investigators, trainers & safeguarding specialists.
Roles and Key Responsibilities:
- Manage and coordinate investigations and other special audits and ensure key steps over the entire investigation cycle (planning, fieldwork, reporting and follow up) are effectively carried out as per CRS Fraud Allegation Management (FAM) & Safeguarding Allegation Management (SAM) Procedures, Policies, local laws and donor regulations.
- Engage CP and Regional staff to assess complaints and allegations, formulate investigation plans/SoW and develop modify test procedures and tools for investigations and special audits.
- Coordinate preparation of and/or prepare comprehensive reports and ad hoc briefs on investigations and, based on analysis and findings, make recommendations for corrective actions, improved controls and efficiency of CRS operations.
- Provide ongoing support and guidance to the region and CP staff during fraud & safeguarding investigations.
- Effectively manage the work-flow of individual cases assigned & work towards timely resolution and closure and ensure caseload in the region is managed effectively and Director Field Operations is apprised on all live cases and stage of completion.
- In collaboration with Region & Country Program management, plan and perform onsite tests and assessments of key fraud prevention and detection processes and internal controls and flag systemic and operational weaknesses contributing to fraud, corruption, safeguarding & or other malpractice and work/influence management to make required changes.
- Provide technical advice and solutions to regional and CP teams, remotely and on-site regarding fraud prevention detection; strategies to strengthen internal control systems and procedures; and capacity of the country programs to comply with FAM and Safeguarding procedures, applicable local laws, and donor requirements.
- Monitor, support and coordinate the work of investigative teams to ensure outputs meet quality standards and are delivered according to established schedules.
- Effectively manage talent and supervise. Manage team dynamics and staff well-being. Provide coaching, strategically tailor individual development plans, and complete performance assessment for direct reports.
- Contribute to the development and implementation of agency-wide standards and tools, including detection and response processes to fraud and safeguarding violations, guidelines, reporting formats and how to incorporate such standards into relevant CRS business practices.
- Contribute to capacity strengthening activities in safeguarding violations, fraud and investigations for staff and partners through helping develop training strategies and agendas/curriculums, conducting trainings and awareness programs, and mentoring and coaching to CP staff.
- Contribute to knowledge management and learning through collecting and analyzing relevant data, evaluating and measuring impact of activities, capturing and sharing lessons learned and best practices, and research and internal reports.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities (SKAs)
- Excellent relationship management skills with ability to influence and get buy-in from people not under direct supervision and to work with individuals in diverse geographical and cultural settings.
- Strong strategic, analytical, problem-solving and systems thinking skills with capacity to see the big picture and ability to make sound judgment
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Proactive, resourceful and results-oriented
- Ethical conduct in accordance with recognized professional and organizational codes of ethics
Required Languages – Fluency in written and spoken English; some regions may require French, Spanish or Arabic
Travel – Willingness and ability to travel (approx. 40%)
Depends on region but could include:
- Senior Ethics Officer- Safeguarding
- Senior Ethics Officer- Anti-Fraud/Corruption
Key Working Relationships: (Optional)
Internal: Ethics Unit Colleagues, Country Representatives; Members of the Ethics Advisory Group; Internal Audit; OGC; the Safeguarding Working Group, Human Resources, HRD, Partnership, Protection, MEAL, Compliance, Protection Technical Advisors.
External: Donor IGs; Other NGOs Ethics staff; Caritas International, Inter Action, other CI Members, NGO Staff.
Basic Qualifications & Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Business Administration or related discipline required. An MBA or a master’s degree in above specialties preferred.
- CIA, CFE or CPA or similar qualification strongly preferred
- Minimum of ten years related work experience, ideally with an international At least 5 of these years being a lead in audits, investigations, financial reviews or fund agent assignments.
- Extensive knowledge of, and experience working with, USG, DFID, Global Fund and other major public donors.
- Experience in mentoring, coaching, facilitation and training applying adult learning principles and practices.
- Supervisory and staff management experience and abilities that are conducive to a learning environment.
Agency-wide Competencies (for all CRS Staff)
These are rooted in the mission, values, and guiding principles of CRS and used by each staff member to fulfill his or her responsibilities and achieve the desired results.
- Continuous Improvement & Innovation
- Builds Relationships
- Develops Talent
- Strategic Mindset
- Accountability & Stewardship
What we offer
CRS offers a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, life insurance, vision, generous retirement savings plan and the opportunity to work in a collaborative, mission-driven culture that is committed to improving the lives of the poor throughout the world.