Site Save the Children
Save the Children is hiring a Regional Operations Coordinator.
Contract length: Two years
Level 3: The role holder will have contact with children and/or young people either frequently (e.g. once a week or more) or intensively (e.g. four days in one month or more or overnight) because they work in country programs; or are visiting country programs; ore because they are responsible for implementing the police checking/vetting process staff.
The Regional Operations Coordinator is a member of the WCA’s Program Operations Department. The purpose of the role is to provide core operational and administrative support to the regional Operations team (primarily the Regional Program Operations Director and the two Regional Operations Manager), in the oversight it has and support it provides to Country Offices’ and regional programs. Such support could entail travelling to Country Offices. This is an exciting role for a junior to mid-level INGO practitioner willing to learn and contribute to strengthening the operational platform and overall work of Save the Children’s Regional Office. The incumbent should have general skills around program management, support and oversight.
Scope of role
- Reports to: Regional Operations Manager #1
- Dotted Line Management: Regional Operations Manager #2 & Regional Program Operations Director
- Dimensions: Save the Children works in 9 countries in WCA (Burkina Faso, Côte d’Ivoire, DRC, Liberia Mali, Niger, Nigeria, Senegal, Sierra Leone)
Key areas of accountability
Program Operations Support
- Provide overall support to the Regional Program Operations Director and the Regional Operations Managers in their oversight and management of Country Office Operations and regional programs, through various tasks assigned
- Attending meetings and calls as required and serve as note taker and action tracker (weekly operations meetings, monthly project reviews, meetings with Country Offices’ Directors of Program Operations, etc.)
- Support in drafting all key Operations communications from the Regional Office to Country Offices: weekly spending status updates, monthly Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) status updates, etc.
- Gather, maintain up to date and be the custodian of all key Operations improvements initiatives, guidance and tools within the Regional Operations department
- Coordinate with the other regional departments (finance, supply chain, HR, Safety & Security, Program Development & Quality) requests / needs of the operations team
- Help coordinate regional and country programs start-ups as needed with all the other regional functional departments and country offices departments
- Engage in and review of key projects documents / reports and provide inputs
- Supporting the Regional Program Operations Director in coordinating core risk management processes at regional level such as the updating, review and consolidation of Country Offices’ Risk Management Plans, Anti-Aid Diversion Risk Assessments and Letters of Assurance on behalf of the Operations team core, and support the production of risk management reports to Save the Children International HQ
- Support on key Operations recruitment processes and serve as interface with HR (screening of CVs, attendance on panels, etc.)
- Working with Country Offices’ Directors of Program Operations and the Regional Operations team, establish and maintain the regional roster of Operations talents across West & Central Africa
- Assist in the induction process of new Save the Children staff on the operations team and its role
- Ensure strong coordination with all functions at Regional Office to facilitate smooth information flow and sharing when related to operational matters
- Lead on information filing and archiving using Microsoft Teams or SharePoint
- Contribute to regional reporting on operational matters (Regional Quarterly Reports, or any other regional reporting as deemed necessary)
- Collect, interpret, and analyze Country Offices’ key performance indicators and benchmarks
- Create and maintain a folder with all key operational documents and serve as custodian
- Translation of documents in French or English
- Support the operations team overall planner (field visits, trainings, workshops, etc.)
- Administrative and logistical support (visas, airline tickets, hotel reservations, transport to/from airport, per diem, expense reconciliation)
- Facilitate procurement of supplies for the operations team
Skills and behaviours (our Values in Practice)
- Holds self accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving and role modelling Save the Children values
- Holds the team and partners accountable to deliver on their responsibilities – giving them the freedom to deliver in the best way they see fit, providing the necessary development to improve performance and applying appropriate consequences when results are not achieved
- Sets ambitious and challenging goals for themselves (and their team), takes responsibility for their own personal development, and encourages others to do the same
- Widely shares their personal vision for Save the Children, engages and motivates others
- Future orientated, thinks strategically
- Builds and maintains effective relationships, with their team, colleagues, Members and external partners and supporters
- Values diversity, sees it as a source of competitive strength
- Approachable, good listener, easy to talk to
- Develops and encourages new and innovative solutions
- Willing to take disciplined risks
Honest, encourages openness and transparency
Qualifications and experience
- Recommended a minimum of 3 years of project management experience in INGO/NGO environment
- Willingness to learn and quickly adapt to a fast-pacing working environment
- Excellent interpersonal, communication and presentation skills
- Experience of INGO/NGO program management, administrative and operations support in a regional office
- Solid project management skills related to organizational development projects and international, cross-functional and integrated teams
- Ability to analyze information, evaluate options, think and plan
- Fluency in written and spoken French and good command of English
- Conversant with MS Office pack (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, Teams)
- Knowledge on data analysis and presentation using diverse mediums
- Commitment to and understanding of Save the Children’s aims, values and principles including rights-based approaches
- Experience in promoting children’s participation in programming, design, implementation and evaluation
- Working experience in challenging and insecure contexts and/or similar.
- Capacity and willingness to be extremely flexible and accommodating in difficult working circumstances.
Additional job responsibilities
The duties and responsibilities as set out above are not exhaustive and the role holder may be required to carry out additional duties within reasonableness of his/her level of skills and experience.
The role holder is required to carry out the duties in accordance with the SCI Equal Opportunities and Diversity policies and procedures.
We need to keep children safe so our selection process, which includes rigorous background checks, reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse.
Safeguarding our Staff
- The post holder is required to carry out the duties in accordance with the SCI anti-harassment policy
- Health and Safety
- The role holder is required to carry out the duties in accordance with SCI policies and procedures.
Closing date: 23 May 2022 – 23:59 GMT.