The International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI) seeks a Research Assistant / Research Analyst I for a one-year, renewable appointment in its Markets, Trade, and Institutions Unit. The Research Assistant/Research Analyst I will provide research and project-related support to the EC-funded Food Security Portal and the Africa Food Security Portal. This position is based in Dakar, Senegal. Interested applicants must have work authorization to work in Senegal.
The final grade level will be determined by level of education and years of relevant work experience.
Specific duties and responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Provide assistance in data collection, management, visualization, and documentation.
- Provide assistance in web content management.
- Assist in the development of FSP e-learning courses.
- Perform literature reviews and assist in drafting reports and presentations.
- Provide assistance in FSP-related events (e.g. webinars, dialogues, tools) and outreach, including through social media.
- Assist in translating short documents from English to French.
- Other relevant duties as assigned by the supervisor.
- Bachelors’ degree in Economics, Agricultural Economics, International Economics, Statistics, or closely related field.
- At the Research Analyst I level – a Bachelor’s degree in one of the above fields plus two years of relevant professional experience or Master’s degree.
- Experience with data processing, analysis, and management using various statistical software packages (Excel, Stata, R).
- Experience with presenting data and results graphically using data visualization software (e.g. Tableau, R Shiny).
- Ability to handle multiple tasks and produce completed products on time.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English and French.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work independently and with initiative, with colleagues from diverse cultures.
- Familiarity with issues related to poverty, economic growth, food security, and agricultural or rural development in Africa.
- Experience with development of e-learning courses.
- Experience with using social media (Twitter, Facebook).
Physical Demand & Work environment
- Employee will sit in an upright position for a long period of time.
- Employee will lift between 0-10 pounds.
- Employee is required to have close visual acuity to perform activities such as: preparing and analyzing data and figures; transcribing; viewing computer terminal; extensive reading.