AKADEMIYA2063 is an Africa-based non-profit research organization with headquarters in Kigali, Rwanda and a regional office in Dakar, Senegal. Inspired by the ambitions of Agenda 2063 and grounded in the recognition of the central importance of strong knowledge and evidence systems, the vision of AKADEMIYA2063 is an Africa with the expertise we need for the Africa we want. This expertise must be responsive to the continent’s needs for data and analysis to ensure high-quality policy design and execution. Inclusive, evidence-informed policymaking is key to meeting the continent’s development aspirations, creating wealth, and changing livelihoods for the better.
AKADEMIYA2063’s overall mission is to create, across Africa and led from its headquarters in Rwanda, state-of-the-art technical capacities to support the efforts by the Member States of the African Union to achieve the key goals of the African Union’s Agenda 2063 of transforming national economies to boost growth and prosperity. Following from its vision and mission, the main goal of AKADEMIYA2063 is to help meet Africa’s needs at the continental, regional and national levels in terms of data, analytics, and mutual learning for the effective implementation of Agenda 2063 and the realization of its outcomes by a critical mass of countries. AKADEMIYA2063 strives to meet its goals through programs organized under five strategic areas—policy innovation, knowledge systems, capacity creation and deployment, operational support and data management, digital products, and technology—as well as partnerships and outreach activities. For more information, visit www.akademiya2063.org.
- Vacancy Number: SN23003
- Position Title: Research Scientist I/II
- Department: Capacity & Deployment
- Location: Dakar – Senegal
- Duration: Two (2) years renewable
AKADEMIYA2063 seeks a Research Scientist I or II for a two-year, renewable appointment in its Capacity & Deployment Department. This position is based in Dakar, Senegal, and interested applicants must already have the appropriate authorization to work in Senegal.
Duties and Responsibilities
Specific duties and responsibilities will include but will not be limited to:
- Conduct data analysis, statistical analysis, econometric analysis
- Develop data documentation manuals or other learning materials, as needed
- Help develop & manage technical workshops
- Develop research proposals under the guidance of the director
- Reply to internal/external data requests.
- Present and discuss research projects to government officials, non-government organizations, research agencies and other interested parties
- Co-authorship of reports and editing of publications.
- Interact with collaborator project partners.
- Interact with funding agencies for possible research projects
- Other duties as assigned or required
- Ph.D. or Doctorate degree in Economics, Agricultural Economics, Statistics, Public Policy, or a closely related field.
- At level I up to 3 years of relevant experience, at level II 5 years of relevant experience
- Demonstrated experience in effective interaction and coordination with collaborators and project partners.
- Excellent econometric skills on cross-section and panel data analysis.
- Demonstrated ability to perform in-depth statistical analysis and report the results.
- Excellent drafting skills and analytical mind.
- Experience in research proposal development and project management
- Skilled in programming using software like STATA and/0r GAMS.
- Demonstrated fluency in written and spoken French & English
- Excellent interpersonal skills and to work in a team-oriented multi-cultural environment
- Demonstrated ability to multi-task as needed, consistently meet deadlines, and manage time well
- Ability to work independently, with initiative and minimal supervision
Submission of Applications
If you are interested in this position, please send your detailed e-mail application, CV, and cover letter, in English, by February 10, 2023.
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered
- This Job Description only serves as a guide for the available position. AKADEMIYA2063 reserves the right to change, revise, omit, and add in part / in whole to this document
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply
- AKADEMIYA2063 is an equal opportunity employer and offers an attractive and challenging working environment with opportunities for skill enhancement.
- By sending an application, candidates give consent for their personal data to be processed solely for applicable recruitment procedures.
- We thank all applicants for their interest in working for AKADEMIYA2063, due to the volume of applications, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted