The IOM is hiring a Resource Management Officer.
- Classification : Professional Staff, Grade P3
- Type of Appointment : Fixed term, one year with possibility of extension
- Estimated Start Date : As soon as possible
- Closing Date : 23 September 2021
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment. Read more about diversity and inclusion at IOM at www.iom.int/diversity.
Applications are welcome from first- and second-tier candidates, particularly qualified female candidates as well as applications from the non-represented member countries of IOM. For all IOM vacancies, applications from qualified and eligible first-tier candidates are considered before those of qualified and eligible second-tier candidates in the selection process.
For the purpose of this vacancy, the following are considered first-tier candidates:
Candidates from the following non-represented member states:
Antigua and Barbuda; Aruba (Netherlands); Botswana; Cabo Verde; Comoros; Congo (the); Cook Islands; Cuba; Fiji; Gabon; Guinea-Bissau; Guyana; Holy See; Iceland; Kingdom of Eswatini; Kiribati; Lao People’s Democratic Republic (the); Latvia; Libya; Luxembourg; Marshall Islands; Micronesia (Federated States of); Montenegro; Namibia; Nauru; Palau; Saint Kitts and Nevis; Saint Lucia; Saint Vincent and the Grenadines; Samoa; Sao Tome and Principe; Seychelles; Solomon Islands; Suriname; The Bahamas; Timor-Leste; Tonga; Tuvalu; Vanuatu
Second tier candidates include:
All external candidates, except candidates from non-represented member states.
Under the direct supervision of the Chief of Mission (CoM) and in close collaboration with the Regional Resources Management Team, s/he will be responsible and accountable for managing the budgetary, financial, human resources and administrative functions of IOM Senegal. S/he will also provide recommendations aiming at increasing effectiveness and efficiency of resources management in IOM Senegal.
Core Functions / Responsibilities
- Monitor financial management, including the oversight of financial expenditures and accountability.
- Supervise and coordinate with senior management the preparation of donor financial reports in accordance with IOM regulations and established procedures.
- Supervise the management of the office treasury, forecast cash flows according to activities of the Senegal Country Office and ensure daily control of funds disbursed; ensure funding is received in accordance with donor agreements.
- Prepare the annual budget for the Country Office, the monthly common cost assessments, assist senior staff and Project Managers in the preparation of budget reports and proposals for new programmes implemented in Senegal, and review monthly Sub-Office accounts.
- Inspect payroll versus budget, ensuring that salaries are correctly allocated to projects consistent with IOM’s projectization criteria.
- Make recommendations on procedural improvements in the relevant areas of administration and finance.
- Supervise and train local staff on IOM’s administration and finance policies and procedures.
- Supervise administrative functions, and other related activities, in accordance with the Organization’s policies and procedures.
- Supervise the implementation of procurement, logistics, facilities maintenance, guest house administration, asset administration and transport support within established internal control mechanisms.
- Oversee/ensure the maintenance and updating of the database of vendor/contractor accreditation and evaluation status to ensure a pool of reliable vendors and contractors.
- Design and ensure the implementation and maintenance of a tracking system of commodities, supplies, and equipment and project assets.
- Assist the Chief of Mission in supervising all human resource related management, including but not limited to recruitment, adherence to contract implementation, separation clearances, Annual leave and other entitlement travels, correctness of all HR files.
- Support the training of all mission staff adherence to IOM rules and regulations.
- Set up and maintain clear guidelines for fraud prevention and early discovery.
- Maintain and develop a clear knowledge management and filing system for all IOM Senegal related documentation.
- Coordinate timely responses to audit findings and update status as appropriate.
- Provide clear guidance and support to Project Managers on financial, administrational, logistical and human resource related issues in line with IOM rules and regulations and donor requirements.
- Liaise with other internal functional units of the Country Office, as well as with banks, donors and government counterparts and other stakeholders.
- Liaise with relevant units in the Country Office regarding the financial and administrative activities of the sub-office.
- Prepare implement and verify all required Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) to ensure proper functioning of the sub offices as well as their compliance with the organization’s policies and procedures.
- Assist the Chief of Mission with the implementation of all relevant SOPs including the ones issued by the Regional Office.
- Maintain and develop a clear knowledge management and filing system for all IOM Senegal related documentation in hard copy and support and contribute to the implementation of e-Filing
- Perform other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
- Master’s degree in Finance, Accounting, Business Administration or a related field from an accredited academic institution with five years of relevant professional experience; or,
- University degree in the above fields with seven years of relevant professional experience;
- Professional certification as chartered accountant (CA) or certified public accountant (CPA), Chartered Institute of Management Accountants (CIMA), or Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (ACCA) will be a distinct advantage.
- Experience in financial management, accounting and budgeting;
- Experience in the field of resources management, IOM project financial planning and budget revision management;
- Experience in liaising with governmental and diplomatic authorities as well as with international institutions;
- Audit experience highly regarded.
- Good knowledge of human resources management;
- Familiarity with financial oversight and public administration;
- Knowledge of IOM’s regulations, policies and procedures preferred;
- Knowledge of International Public-Sector Accounting Standards (IPSAS) and SAP highly desirable;
- Knowledge of IOM accounting systems, software and procedures a distinct advantage.
- IOM’s official languages are English, French, and Spanish.
- External applicants for all positions in the Professional category are required to be proficient in
- English and have at least a working knowledge of one additional UN Language (French, Spanish, Arabic, Russian or Chinese).
- For all applicants, fluency in English is required (oral and written). Working knowledge of Spanish, French, and/or any local language is an advantage.
- Proficiency of language(s) required will be specifically evaluated during the selection process, which may include written and/or oral assessments.
Accredited Universities are the ones listed in the UNESCO World Higher Education Database (https://whed.net/home.php).
How to apply
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via PRISM, IOM e-Recruitment system, by 23 September 2021 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
IOM only accepts duly completed applications submitted through the IOM e-Recruitment system. The online tool also allows candidates to track the status of their application.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
For further information please refer to: www.iom.int/recruitment
IOM does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, processing, training or other fee). IOM does not request any information related to bank accounts.
Closing date: 23.09.2021