NIYEL hiring Senior Advocacy Officer – Artificial Intelligence.
Founded in 2008, we are an impact-driven make-the-world-better campaigns, advocacy, and public affairs firm.
Niyel is launching a project in 2021 to organize and support the establishment and management of a research program on Artificial Intelligence policies with credible institutions from French-speaking African countries.
The project requires a mission-focused, seasoned, strategic, and process-minded leader with experience in managing complex research and policy-oriented projects. Reporting to the Executive Director, the primary function of this position is to work with policy influencing, communications, finance, and administration colleagues to design and oversee the execution of the project.
- Prospecting potential research centers that can support the program;
- Define terms of reference for the call for proposals from research centers.
- Launch the call for proposals.
- Assess proposals submitted by interested research centers in relation to the guidelines
- and requirements (technical, administrative, organizational, financial);
- Design research programs and dissemination plans with selected research institutions
- with their schedules and budgets.
- Assess capacity building needs of the various organizations
- Develop a capacity-building program for network members
- Roll out capacity building program on policy influencing
- Roll out capacity building program on research for policy
- Work with the Finance team to coordinating funding/grants for institutions so that their research projects contribute in a complementary way to the overall program;
- Work with the Finance team to monitor, support, and ensure rigorous financial management of resources.
Learning and knowledge management
- Provide policy analysis, development, and research on matters related to the needs of partners and clients
- Represent Niyel or partner interests (as agreed with partners) at meetings with policymakers and other stakeholders
- Work closely with and support partners in developing their approach on matters of key public interest.
- Work closely with the Niyel team and external stakeholders to ensure Niyel thought leadership on policy influencing around data, data governance, and artificial intelligence.
- Lead innovative programs and positioning initiatives to showcase the project in donor and other policy spaces.
- Develop and roll-out learning program for colleagues on artificial intelligence and policy
- Provide ongoing content about the program the communications team
- As a prerequisite, the successful candidate must believe in the core values of Niyel and be driven by the mission . The candidate should demonstrate a passion for breaking new ground to lead social change. Beyond that, we are seeking a candidate that has proven experience in advocacy and campaigns across different issues, as well as different political and cultural contexts. They must also have demonstrated the ability to both lead and build the capabilities of a driven, bright, diverse team
A Master’s degree in Communications, International Relations, Public Relations, Diplomacy, Policy Analysis, or related field and at least 5 years of post-qualification experience leading advocacy initiatives in policy advocacy or governmental institution, 2 of which must be at a management level.
- Proven ability to think strategically, analyze complex information and offer creative, practical, and high-impact solutions
- Understanding of complex strategic planning in nonprofit and government environments.
- Knowledge of policy and policy-making process and experience working with decision-makers
- Strong research and analytical skills as well as an understanding of the ecosystem of think tanks.
- A minimal understanding or a strong desire to learn about AI
- Understanding of how to achieve change in diverse national contexts, using a range
- of approaches
- Extensive experience working in sub-Saharan Africa;
- Demonstrated competency in research and policy analysis, including the ability to identify and explain complex policy issues.
- Ability to communicate orally and in writing with a variety of audiences, including community advocates, service providers, members of the public, and local officials.
- Good understanding of financial management and grant-making;
- Strong computer skills with proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint), web-based communications, social media, and some basic design software knowledge.
- Fluent in English and French
- Holds self-accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, and achieving impact.
- Holds colleagues accountable to deliver on their responsibilities — giving them the freedom to deliver in the best way they see fit, providing the necessary development to improve performance, and applying appropriate consequences when results are not achieved
- Action-oriented, entrepreneurial, flexible, and innovative approach to operational management.
- Passion, humility, integrity, positive attitude, mission-driven, and self-directed.
- Remain focused in the face of pressure, delivers against timelines, not intimidated by
- tasks/time/budget limitations
- Thinks strategically and on a global scale
- Approachable, good listener, easy to talk to
- Values diversity, sees it as a source of competitive strength
How to apply
To apply, please visit our website at www.niyel.net to complete an application. Click on the contacts page then please click on “Application Form” to complete your application and attach your cover letter and CV addressed to Tasha Mills, Director of People and Partnerships, or send to email@example.com
Application deadline: February 28, 2021