World Bank Group
The World Bank Group is hiring a Senior Water Specialist.
Closing Date: 11/25/2021 (MM/DD/YYYY) at 11:59pm UTC
Do you want to build a career that is truly worthwhile? The World Bank Group is one of the largest sources of funding and knowledge for developing countries; a unique global partnership of five institutions dedicated to ending extreme poverty and promoting shared prosperity. With 189 member countries and more than 120 offices worldwide, we work with public and private sector partners, investing in groundbreaking projects and using data, research, and technology to develop solutions to the most urgent global challenges. For more information, visit www.worldbank.org.
Western and Central Africa (AFW) Region
We need the best and brightest talent focused on Sub-Saharan African countries in order to harness the potential and innovation happening across the continent. Africa is a continent on the move, with a young population and a growing market of nearly 1.2bn people. We are committed to making the Africa regional teams into leading innovation hubs.
Yet, these vast opportunities are tempered by persistent gaps in education, health, and skills, which have Africa only reaching forty percent of its estimated potential. Moreover, conflict, food insecurity, population growth, and the disruptive forces of climate change threaten to curtail or even reverse the progress that has been made over the past decades.
In West and Central Africa, the World Bank is a leading partner with a growing portfolio of 350 projects totaling more than $38 billion in areas such as agriculture, trade and transport, energy, education, health, water and sanitation- all to support job creation, gender equality, poverty reduction, and better lives. Across the continent, the World Bank’s program has nearly doubled over the last 10 years. By 2030, about 87% of the world’s extreme poor are projected to live in Sub-Saharan Africa, so this is where our mission to end extreme poverty and to promote shared prosperity will be achieved.
Are you ready to make an impact? We are looking for dedicated professionals to join our innovative and diverse team to improve people’s lives and help countries build back better after COVID.
Western and Central Africa (AFW) Region:
The Sustainable Development Practice Group
The Sustainable Development (SD) Practice Group (PG) helps countries tackle their most complex challenges in the areas of Agriculture and Food, Climate Change, Environment, Natural Resources & Blue Economy, Environmental and Social Framework, Urban, Disaster Risk Management, Resilience & Land, Social Sustainability and Inclusion, and Water.
Water Global Practice
- Water touches every aspect of development and it links with nearly every Sustainable Development Goal (SDG). It drives economic growth, supports healthy ecosystems, and is essential and fundamental for life itself. Water availability and management impacts whether poor girls are educated, whether cities are healthy places to live, and whether growing industries or poor villages can withstand the impacts of floods or droughts. For more information: https://www.worldbank.org/en/topic/water
Duties and Accountabilities (max 6 bullet points, circa 20 words per bullet point)
- Co-ordinate the Bank’s water program across the Senegal CMU; and prepare updates as needed, on the program
- Lead or co-lead Bank operations (under preparation or implementation)
- Lead or co-lead to contribute towards strategic water ASAs for the Senegal CMU
- Lead discussions with donors and external partners
- Liaise with the CMU and keep them informed on developments in the program
- Work closely with the Practice Manager and keep the Practice Manager updated on the program in the Senegal CMU region
- Work with the Global Solutions Group and contribute to global and non-AFW regional work, as needed, to ensure globality of the Water GP
- At least an MS in civil/environmental engineering or MA degree in economics with specialization in water resources management, water supply/hydraulics, irrigation or similar field
- At least 8 years of work experience in the relevant areas
- Ability to incorporate implications of climate change in the Bank operations and advice to clients
- Experience with development of water and sanitation infrastructure and on delivery of sustainable water and sanitation services
- Integrative skills by being able to work across administrative boundaries and integrate divergent viewpoints in Bank activities
- Ability to lead policy dialogue with governments and external partners
- Fluency in English and French required — must be able to write and present fluently in English in addition to French
- Water Supply and Sanitation Infrastructure and Technologies – Direct experience with water supply and sanitation infrastructure and technologies.
- Water Resource Management – Basic understanding of water resources planning, management and development, with depth in at least one subtopic and relevant experience applying this knowledge to operations, analytical work, and other deliverables.
- Water Institutions – Basic understanding of water supply and sanitation sector institutions (ministries, regulators, service providers, community organizations) and how they are best organized to deliver services to end-users in a sustainable manner.
- Water Policy and Strategy – Basic understanding of water policies and strategies and their role in delivering outcomes to end users/customers.
Closing date : 25 November 2021.