Technical expert (vocational education and training).
- Post Number : 6SNIEP0076PA
- Grade : P-3
- Parent Sector : Education Sector (ED)
- Duty Station: Dakar
- Job Family: Education
- Type of contract : Project Appointment
- Duration of contract : 1 year
- Recruitment open to : Internal and external candidates
- Application Deadline (Midnight Paris Time) : 29 -MAY-2023
UNESCO Core Values: Commitment to the Organization, Integrity, Respect for Diversity, Professionalism
Duration of contract: 1 year renewable with a six months probationary period. Extension of contract is subject to availability of funds and satisfactory performance.
Overview of the functions of the post
The International Institute for Educational Planning (IIEP) is a specialized UNESCO institute whose mandate is to strengthen the capacity of Member States to plan and manage their education and training systems. The IIEP Office for Africa, located in Dakar, Senegal (IIEP-UNESCO Dakar), contributes to the production of diagnostic analyses, sector plans and planning tools that contribute to more relevant and sustainable education and training policies. IIEP-UNESCO Dakar is also actively involved in the production of knowledge for the education sector in Africa. More information on the Institute’s activities can be found at the following link IIEP-UNESCO Dakar.
Under the overall authority of the Director of UNESCO-IIEP, the Head of the UNESCO-IIEP Dakar Officeand under the direct supervision of the Technical Cooperation Programme Manager, the incumbent contributes to the implementation of activities related to TVET policy analysis, planning, management, implementation and monitoring. He/she will be required to participate in activities conducted in selected countries with other members of the IIEP-UNESCO Dakar and may be required at times to be in charge of the team. He/she could thus supervise the other team members assigned to these countries. The work and activities that he/she will carry out, as well as outputs are subject to an internal validation process under the responsibility of the Head of Office.
The incumbent will be responsible for the following :
Lead and/or contribute to IIEP’s assistance to African countries in the development, implementation and monitoring of their (please provide full name)TVET policies and plans related to economic demand:
- Support the development of in-depth analyses of TVET policies, processes, and mechanisms.
- Support the education and training policy dialogue and the elaboration of national strategy documents specific to TVET or to the education and training sector in its TVET part (TVET strategy in relation to promising economic sectors, education and training sectoral plan, medium-term expenditure framework, budgeted action plan, etc.).
- Support for the management and implementation of TVET policies and plans:
- Setting up certification systems (national and regional frameworks, validation of prior experience, etc.);
Establishment of labor market and vocational training information systems. Facilitating multi-level and/or multi-actor partnership mechanisms, to better adjust the training offer to labour market needs;
Setting up mechanisms for monitoring the integration of TVET graduates into the labour market;
Identification and implementation of innovative TVET financing options.
Take ownership for the TVET component of selected country and regional projects:
- a. Assist in policy dialogue with the highest authorities in the country and in regional bodies that collaborate with IIEP-UNESCO Dakar.
- b. Manage dialogue, exchange and coordination with development partners in country and at the regional level.
- c. Support the process of identifying new partnership opportunities at the country or regional level (design phase, project appraisal, negotiations with authorities/donors).
Support the promotion of the sharing of TVET resources and tools, and contribute to its networking activities.
Support international initiatives in support to the 2030 Agenda for Education:
- Knowledge production and mobilization on the situation of TVET in Africa in relation to the education system as a whole and to employment;
- Design of tools for analysis, planning, management, implementation and monitoring of TVET policies in Africa;
Development of training and/or outreach tools.
Contribute to the development and delivery of training for managers in charge of planning and management of education and training in Africa, specifically in the TVET sub-sector.
Contribute to the TVET aspects of trainings developed by IIEP-UNESCO Dakar, including as appropriate in collaboration with other partners.
Contribute to the production, capitalization and dissemination of evidence in education and training, specifically on TVET and the link with economic demand:
- Participation in the drafting of methodological notes, thematic notes and country notes;
- Participation in the updating of the website https://dakar.iiep.unesco.org/ and the TVET web portal, www.pefop.iiep.unesco.org, and in the interactive spaces for documentation and exchanges on education and training policies in Africa (digital bibliography, statistical data, policy documents, etc.).
- Assume clearly defined responsibilities within the team and perform any other duties as assigned by the Head of Office or Supervisor.
Competencies (Core / Managerial)
- Communication (C)
- Accountability (C)
- Innovation (C)
- Knowledge sharing and continuous improvement (C)
- Planning and organizing (C)
- Results focus (C)
- Teamwork (C)
- Professionalism (C)
For detailed information, please consult the UNESCO Competency Framework.
Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in economics, education, social sciences, or any other relevant field.
- Minimum 4 years of relevant professional experience in TVET systems analysis, planning, and management, of which preferably 2 years acquired at international level in regional or multilateral programs or institutions.
- Experience with education and training systems in the context of developing countries, particularly in Africa.
- Experience in resource mobilization and negotiations with country authorities and donors.
Skills and Competencies
- Knowledge of external efficiency analysis and the link between TVET and the labor market.
- Knowledge of the management of certification systems and the insertion monitoring systems.
- Capacity to regularly conduct missions and perform assignments in diverse and challenging contexts.
- Ability to assume responsibilities within a team.
- Ability to lead, motivate and support multicultural teams.
- Ability to work under pressure.
- Demonstrated knowledge of TVET priorities of international donors active in Africa.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Proficiency in MS Office suite (Word, Excel, etc.).
Excellent knowledge of French or English and good knowledge of the other.
Skills and Competencies
- Knowledge of statistical techniques and mastery of statistical software (SPSS, Stata, Sas, etc.).
- Knowledge of labor market information systems.
Knowledge of Portuguese.
Benefits and entitlements
UNESCO’s salaries consist of a basic salary and other benefits which may include if applicable: 30 days annual leave, family allowance, medical insurance, pension plan etc.
The approximate annual starting salary for this post is 88,871 US $.
For full information on benefits and entitlements, please consult our Guide to Staff Benefits.
Selection and recruitment process
Please note that all candidates must complete an on-line application and provide complete and accurate information. To apply, please visit the UNESCO careers website. No modifications can be made to the application submitted.
The evaluation of candidates is based on the criteria in the vacancy notice, and may include tests and/or assessments, as well as a competency-based interview.
UNESCO uses communication technologies such as video or teleconference, e-mail correspondence, etc. for the assessment and evaluation of candidates.
Please note that only selected candidates will be further contacted and candidates in the final selection step will be subject to reference checks based on the information provided.
Application Deadline (Midnight Paris Time) : 29 -MAY-2023.
Pour postuler à cette offre, veuillez cliquer sur le lien suivant : careers.unesco.org.
Voir toutes les offres d'emploi