The International Organization for Migration is recruiting a Project Officer.
- Position Title : Project Officer (IBM)
- Duty Station : Dakar, Senegal
- Classification : Professional Staff, Grade P2
- Type of Appointment : Fixed term, one year with possibility of extension
- Estimated Start Date : As soon as possible
- Closing Date : 24 April 2019
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading
UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and
non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Applications from qualified female candidates are especially encouraged. For the purpose of the vacancy, the following candidates are considered as first-tier candidates:
1. Internal candidates
2. Qualified applicants from the following NMS countries:
Antigua and Barbuda; Bahamas; Cook Islands; Cuba; Cabo Verde; Djibouti; Fiji; Micronesia (Federated States of); Gabon; Grenada; Guinea-Bissau; Guyana; Iceland; Kiribati; Comoros; Saint Kitts and Nevis; Lao People’s Democratic Republic (the); Saint Lucia; Lesotho; Libya; Montenegro; Marshall Islands; Mauritania; Namibia; Nauru; Papua New Guinea; Palau; Paraguay; Solomon Islands; Seychelles; Somalia; Suriname; Sao Tome and Principe; Kingdom of Eswatini; Timor-Leste; Tonga; Tuvalu; Holy See;
Saint Vincent and the Grenadines; Vanuatu; Samoa
The International Organization for Migration is implementing the project “Rural Communities
Engagement in Border Security and Management in Senegal – Phase 2”.
The borders between Senegal, Mauritania, Mali and Conakry are more a place of exchange, rather than being an impenetrable borderline. Populations living along the borders have the same historical and social roots and belong to the same ethnic groups, sharing similar cultures and socio-economic interests. National authorities, performing their border control and surveillance duties are often perceived as obstructing the regular development of people’s socio-economic interests and therefore, the “integration” between border communities and the national authorities is not systematic and occasionally obstructed.
This project seeks to enhance institutional capacities in securing and managing national borders, by developing stronger community engagement and more coherent approaches to border management, inter-agencies cooperation and coordination, as well as cross-border interoperability.
The project is divided in four main phases: assessment phase and reporting, development phase, field exercises, monitoring and evaluation.
The project foresees also the development of a dedicated border security ‘hot-line’ and the
provision of communication equipment to some of the villages along the border, to communicate border security-related events to national security authorities, increasing the communication, collection and analysis of information, effective coordination and response to potential border threats.
Under the overall supervision of the Chief of Mission and the direct supervision of the Project Coordinator, the successful candidate will be responsible and accountable for the implementation of Immigration and Border Management (IBM) projects and for contributing to project development and planning.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Provide support and assistance for the timely implementation and monitoring of all relevant project activities in coordination with the IOM Office. Follow up on logistical and administrative arrangements, cooperate with national and international authorities, provide information and assist with arrangements required for the recruitment of project staff.
- Provide technical inputs and guidance for the formulation of needs assessments. Analyse progress and implementation reports, propose action to expedite project delivery, and identify and document significant project events, decisions, problems or deviations.
- Contribute to the development of new projects by selecting and summarizing background information, assessing the local context for the planning, operationalization and administration of individual projects, draft segments of project proposals, and monitor project performance.
- Work closely with the Project Coordinator, the Government of Senegal, the populations and other partners, and organize and conduct training to sensitize communities for their participation in the implementation of specific IBM activities.
- Participate in relevant meetings organized in Dakar, including online and other virtual exchanges with partners.
- Draft sections of project documents based on results of assessments, and draft project and budget revisions based on negotiations with donors, changed work plans or budget reallocation.
- Undertake visits to project sites and provide information and support with respect to project management and internal procedures for monitoring and reporting.
- Communicate and exchange information directly with the target audience as required.
- Draft and contribute to the preparation of a diverse range of communication products that support project engagement strategies.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
- Master’s degree in Political or Social Sciences, International Relations, Development Studies, Law or a related field from an accredited academic institution with two years of relevant professional experience; or
- University degree in the above fields with four years of relevant professional experience.
- International humanitarian experience, including field experience working in crisis countries during complex or other emergency would be an advantage;
- High level off computer practice;
- Previous experience of working in the border management field.
IOM’s official languages are English, French and Spanish.
For this position, fluency in English and French is required (oral and written). Working knowledge of Spanish is an advantage.
Values – all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
- Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
- Empowering others & building trust: creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
- Strategic thinking and vision: works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
IOM’s competency framework can be found at this link. https://www.iom.int/sites/default/files/about-iom/iom_revised_competency_framework_external.pdf
Competencies will be assessed during a competency-based interview.
- Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile.
- Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
- The list of NMS countries above includes all IOM Member States which are non-represented in the Professional Category of staff members. For this staff category, candidates who are nationals of the duty station’s country cannot be considered eligible.
- Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via PRISM, IOM e-Recruitment system, by 24 April 2019 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
For further information, please refer to:
In order for an application to be considered valid, IOM only accepts online profiles duly completed.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. You can track the progress of your application on your personal application page in the IOM e-recruitment system.
Décrochez plus d’entretiens de recrutement avec le service de rédaction de CV professionnel et lettre de motivation de notre partenaire TopCV. Commandez votre CV professionnel.
Pour postuler à cette offre, merci de cliquer sur le lien suivant : recruit.iom.int.
Très important : Méfiez vous des arnaques ! Vous ne devez payer, en aucun cas, des sommes d'argent aux recruteurs utilisant la plateforme EmploiDakar.com