Site United States Institute of Peace
The United States Institute of Peace is hiring a JSD Project Officer.
If you have a passion for making the world a better place and want to have a front row seat to the world stage, USIP is the place for you.
We are a nonpartisan institute chartered by Congress to tackle the world’s toughest problems. Working in conflict zones around the world, our staff advise and support the military, government officials and community leaders – to promote knowledge and practices that prevent, mitigate and resolve violent conflict. To learn more about USIP programs and job openings go to https://www.usip.org/about/careers. The Institute is headquartered in Washington DC with staff working in 22 different countries, at any given time up to 20% of the staff could be deployed working in the field.
In the context of the Justice and Security Dialogues (JSD) program of the United States Institute of Peace (USIP), the JSD Project Officer (PO) for Casamance, in consultation with the JSD Deputy Regional and Casamance Coordinator (DRCC) and Field Coordinator (FC), is responsible for closely monitoring, supporting, and ensuring quality of implementation of the JSD process in Goudomp. This is a local position based in Ziguinchor, Senegal, with frequent travel to the project location, Goudomp. The role requires supporting implementing partners in direct implementation, continuously developing relationships with institutional and local stakeholders; and implementing, monitoring and reporting on JSD project activities in Goudomp, Senegal.
This position reports to the JSD Deputy Regional and Casamance Coordinator (DRCC) who will be responsible for overall strategic direction of JSD activities in-country, ensuring quality of implementation, monitoring and reporting, partnership-building with relevant national stakeholders, and training, mentoring and coaching of the Project Officer, as needed. The position will also work in collaboration with the JSD Field Coordinator, Senegal Country Officer (CO), and Program Coordinator(s), and USIP colleagues at HQ.
Major duties and responsibilities
- Support when and as needed, in close collaboration with the implementing partner, the implementation of JSD activities in Goudomp, Senegal.
- Work with implementing partners to ensure activities are implemented on schedule;
- Coordinate the organization of operational meetings, dialogues, in-country trainings and other activities as needed by the JSD team;
- In close consultation with the Deputy Regional and Casamance Coordinator, mentor and coach the dialogue implementing partner through the JSD process in Goudomp, Casamance;
- Review all technical and financial reporting from implementing partners, provide guidance as needed, and liaise with the Deputy Regional and Casamance Coordinator, to ensure timely submission of all required materials;
- Observe and support project activities and cultivate relationships across in Goudomp, and across the Casamance;
- In close consultation with the Deputy Regional and Casamance Coordinator, continuously develop relationships with institutional and national-level stakeholders;
- Provide regular detailed updates on JSD activities to the Deputy Regional and Casamance Coordinator, Senegal Country Officer, Field Coordinator, Program Coordinator(s) and DC team;
- Perform systems mapping, data collection and empirical research that supports the JSD process and can feed into publications and the national-level policy discussion;
- Support the Deputy Regional and Casamance Coordinator, Senegal Country Officer, Field Coordinator and Program Coordinator(s) in the development of reports, policy guidance, or political analysis as needed;
- Coordinate with teammates and support the regional JSD network as needed;
- Be available to travel at the national or regional level, as needed.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Perform other tasks as assigned.
Qualifications of the JSD Project Officer
- BA in relevant field (international relations, conflict resolution, human rights or development) or equivalent experience. MA an asset.
- Three (3) years’ professional experience in a similar role, in rule of law, security sector reform, peacebuilding or similar field in Senegal.
- Demonstrated knowledge, experience and understanding of the Casamance context.
- Experience of working closely with local communities, community-based organizations, local authorities in Senegal, preferably in the Casamance.
- Highly developed interpersonal and soft skills, ability to build alliances and represent the project and organization.
- Track record of working with security forces and civil society in Senegal is preferred.
- Demonstrated experience in project management, event coordination and financial oversight and reporting;
- Strong interest in innovative and adaptive programming;
- Demonstrated project design, implementation, and monitoring & evaluation skills.
- Fluency in French is required. Working knowledge of local languages (Balant) desired. Working knowledge of English preferred.
- Experience building the capacity of others and leading from behind desired.
- Proven ability to work independently and effectively, and work well as part of a team.
- Willingness to travel within Senegal, and to other project locations in the Sahel-Maghreb region, as required.
- Willingness to work unsociable hours depending on the needs of the project.
Team Player: Works well as a member of a group
Innovative: Consistently introduces new ideas and demonstrates original thinking
How to apply
To be considered for this position, please submit a complete application package consisting of:
- Completed employment application including titles, dates of hire and salary history.
- Cover letter
Due to the high volume of candidates, only those applicants that are selected for further discussions will be contacted.
USIP is an equal opportunity employer. It is the policy and practice of USIP to offer equal employment opportunities to all qualified applicants and employees without regard to race, color, age, religion, national origin, sex, marital status, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, genetic information, HIV/AIDS status, political affiliations or belief, pregnancy, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Décrochez plus d’entretiens de recrutement avec le service de rédaction de CV professionnel et lettre de motivation de notre partenaire TopCV. Commandez votre CV professionnel.