UN Migration is hiring a Digital Content Officer.
Description of the UN Migration : IOM
IOM implements innovative approaches and initiatives aimed at positively affecting the knowledge levels, attitudes and behaviours of youth and potential migrants in West and Central Africa. At the community level, these initiatives encourage the public and private sectors to develop new ways to prevent exploitation by building capacity to apply Communication for Development (C4D) practices to outreach activities. One of such initiatives is the IOM’s innovative C4D campaign, Migrants as Messenger.
A growing body of research suggests that potential migrants are generally distrustful of information campaigns on irregular migration and that they are more likely to believe information obtained through trusted social networks. Migrants as Messengers (MaM) addresses this distrust by influencing decisions in migration-prone communities in West Africa through peer-to-peer messaging.
The project started in 3 countries in November 2017 and will expand to include 7 countries in the region (Nigeria, Senegal, Guinea, Gambia, Cote d’Ivoire, Sierra Leone and Liberia) over 3 years. It is carried out by volunteer returned migrants using storytelling techniques to record peer interviews broadcast on social media. High quality audio-visual format and adapted digital platforms for the dissemination of content are essential to the success of the project.
Under the direct supervision of the Communication for Development Officer, the successful candidate will focus on supporting the timely and professional presentation of audio-visual communications outputs for the Migrants as Messengers project. These materials include various digital content including but not limited to video, radio, and social media. The position will be based in the Regional Office for West and Central Africa in Dakar, Senegal.
Media Development Officer’s Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Contribute to the development and monitor the implementation of the digital engagement strategy for the Migrants as Messengers project.
- Focus on the creation and dissemination of digital content across targeted social media channels.
- Provide technical support including video recording and editing for the development and implementation of the project.
- Coordinate closely with country focal points and other project staff to capture high quality footage including testimonials of returnees to use as peer to peer messaging in communities of origin.
- Use analytics and IOM online audience data to develop ideal touch points to bolster user experiences (UX) and personal journeys for project platforms.
- Contribute to the development of a user experience (UX) strategy that makes use of the understanding of IOM audience personas and journeys to increase the visibility and engagement of IOM’s online content: including developing empathy maps, affinity diagrams and call to actions.
- Utilize and encourage innovative and sustainable outreach to increase interaction with target audience, via SEO, meta tags, Google analytics and AdWords accounts.
- Generate traffic and assist in strengthening substantive and meaningful digital engagement through strategic messaging, audio-visual content development programs as well as generating engagement and conversations via social media.
- Create visual storytelling packages which showcase the project and its activities and initiatives. Facilitate the use of embedded feedback mechanisms across all communications channels and assist with the collection of feedback throughout the project.
- Support the update of relevant websites and online platforms as needed to demonstrate
- project impact.
- Monitor and check the quality of work produced within the project, appropriate gender balance across communications and consistency with IOM branding where appropriate. Bring issues to the attention of the supervisor.
- Assist with strategic planning and the development of other communications materials related to the project such as print media, infographics, and multimedia products.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
- Master’s degree in Digital Content Production, Multimedia Production, Animation, User Experience Design or a related field from an accredited academic institution with two years of relevant professional experience; or
- University degree in the above fields with four years of relevant professional experience.
- Extensive experience in media and communications tools with an emphasis on digital media in
- Strong background in video editing and production;
- Experience on working on user experience and human centered design projects;
- Proficient in content editing platforms including Adobe Suite, primary Adobe After Effects,
- Adobe Premiere, Adobe Illustrator, Adobe Audition, as well as Final Cut Pro, among other multimedia editing software;
- Demonstrated expertise in graphic design, web, and social media platforms;
- Proficient in Adobe Creative Cloud applications such as Dreamweaver, Lightroom etc;
- Good knowledge of dynamics of irregular migration, human trafficking and other issues related to migration and exploitation in West and Central Africa;
- Excellent grasp of the evolving media environment, including new media in West Africa, as well as the political, cultural and economic impact of the changing landscape on non-profit campaigns;
- Previous experience with behavior change campaigns.
IOM’s official languages are English, French and Spanish.
For this position, fluency in English and French is required (oral and written). Working knowledge of local languages of West Africa and/or Spanish is an advantage.
1 Accredited Universities are the ones listed in the UNESCO World Higher Education Database (https://whed.net/home.php).
Values – all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
- Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
- Empowering others & building trust: creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
- Strategic thinking and vision: works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
IOM’s competency framework can be found at this link.
Competencies will be assessed during a competency-based interview.
Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
The list of NMS countries above includes all IOM Member States which are non-represented in the Professional Category of staff members. For this staff category, candidates who are nationals of the duty station’s country cannot be considered eligible.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via PRISM, IOM e-Recruitment system, by 31 May 2019 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
IOM only accepts duly completed applications submitted through the IOM e-Recruitment system. The online tool also allows candidates to track the status of their application. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
For further information please refer to: www.iom.int/recruitment
Posting period: From 03.05.2019 to 31.05.2019
IOM does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, processing, training or other fee). IOM does not request any information related to bank accounts.
Pour postuler, veuillez cliquer sur le lien suivant : recruit.iom.int.
Très important : Méfiez vous des arnaques ! Vous ne devez payer, en aucun cas, des sommes d'argent aux recruteurs utilisant la plateforme EmploiDakar.com
Décrochez plus d’entretiens de recrutement avec le service de rédaction de CV professionnel et lettre de motivation de notre partenaire TopCV. Commandez votre CV professionnel.