Background UN Women
UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security. Placing women’s rights at the centre of all its efforts, UN Women leads and coordinates United Nations system efforts to ensure that commitments on gender equality are translated into action throughout the world. It provides strong and coherent leadership in support of Member States’ priorities and efforts while building effective partnerships with civil society and other relevant actors.
The Gender Statistics Expert will report to UN Women Senegal’s Representative and work closely with WCARO Regional Programme Specialist on Gender Statistics and the Women Count team in UN Women HQ. She/he will exercise overall responsibility for planning, implementing, managing and reporting of the Women Count project in Senegal. The Gender Statistics Expert will work in close collaboration with UN Women Senegal Program and Operation teams, UN Women regional offices, UN Women HQ staff, Government officials, multi and bi-lateral donors and civil society to ensure successful implementation of the project in Senegal.
Duties and Responsibilities
Design and develop program strategies in the area of Gender Statistics:
- Provide technical expertise in mainstreaming Gender in Statistics;
- Design and formulate program / project proposals and initiatives on Gender Statistics;
- Draft inputs to country strategy documents, briefs, policy dialogue and other documents related to Gender Statistics.
Manage and oversee the formulation and implementation of the Women Count program in Senegal:
- Develop and review Women Count project documents including Letters of Agreement (LOA) and/or Memorandums of Understanding (MoU) with implementing partners in a timely manner;
- Develop project Annual Work Plans (AWPs) and manage their implementation in compliance with approved project documents and budgets;
- Organize Project Steering Committee, project review and/or evaluation meetings, as needed;
- Manage and review the project proposed activities, results and budget ensuring consistency with the Project Document and the objectives of the Women Count global programme;
- Manage the technical implementation of the project ensuring synergies with other teams;
- Oversee and review the budget and proposed activities as needed ensuring consistency with the objectives of the Women Count programme and in compliance with agreed timelines;
- Develop procurement plans and oversee procurement processes in accordance with corporate rules and regulations;
- Provide guidance to staff and partners on Results Based Management tools and performance indicators.
Manage technical assistance and capacity development to Women Count partners:
- Ensure that the implementation of the Women Count project follows strict quality standards, as established under the Fundamental Principles of Official Statistics and the Principles Governing International Statistical Activities;
- Identify capacity development needs of partners and provide technical assistance, advisory support, and capacity development to partners on Gender Statistics, including strategic direction and positioning of gender statistics in national policies, plans and strategies;
- Produce and disseminate guidance notes, tools and methodologies on gender statistics and provide technical inputs to statistical products developed by partners;
- Develop and manage the partnerships needed to implement Women Count in Senegal, including with governments, donors, international agencies, civil society and philanthropic organizations and the private sector;
- Strengthen UN Women’s partnerships with key regional and national stakeholders, including NSS, UN agencies, civil society organizations and other data collecting organizations in the country in order to present a wide range of relevant data on gender equality and women’s rights to contribute to the regional and thematic monitoring of SDGs;
Manage the monitoring and reporting of the Women Count project in Senegal:
- Monitor progress towards achievement of project results, including regular collection of data and information about the impact of the Women Count programme at national level;
- Produce quarterly reports and contribute to the Women Count donor annual report and other UN Women reports as needed;
- Manage monitoring of project implementation and related finances (project delivery) using results-based management tools (RMS, ATLAS, Dashboard, etc.);
- Liaise with implementing partners for the submission of financial and narrative reports;?
Contribute to inter-agency coordination to achieve a coherent and aligned presence for Gender Statistics in Senegal:
- Provide technical support to UN Women Senegal Coordinator on inter-agency coordination related activities by attending meetings, events, and participating in groups and committees as needed;
- Participate and/or represent UN Women in Senegal UNDAF’s thematic groups including Senegal UNDAF’s SDG’s task force and UNISS M&E group;
- Coordinate with other UN agencies, government departments, donors and NGOs to ensure the projects’ capacity development program is harmonized and aligned with other in-country efforts.
Manage advocacy, resource mobilization, knowledge management and communication efforts:
- Contribute to identify iand implement advocacy and resource mobilization opportunities in line with the Women Count global programme Advocacy and Resource Mobilization strategy;
- Design a KM plan building on the Women Count global programme KM strategy and develop knowledge management strategies (including collecting and documenting best practices and lessons learned), products and methodologies on Gender Statistics observing Women Count global programme branding and publication guidelines.
- Respect for Diversity;
- Awareness and Sensitivity Regarding Gender Issues;
- Creative Problem Solving;
- Effective Communication;
- Inclusive Collaboration;
- Stakeholder Engagement;
- Leading by Example.
- Excellent knowledge of Gender Statistics, gender equality and women’s empowerment;
- Excellent program formulation, implementation, monitoring and evaluation skills;
- Strong analytical skills;
- Excellent knowledge of Results Based Management;
- Ability to synthesize program performance data and produce analytical reports to inform management and strategic decision-making;
- Ability to identify and analyze trends, opportunities and threats to fundraising and develop strategies;
- Good knowledge and use of computer office tools (word, spreadsheets, databases, etc.)
Required Skills and Experience
- Master’s degree or equivalent in Statistics, Demography, Economics, Social Sciences or a related field is required. A first-level university degree in combination with two additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- A project/programme management certification would be an added advantage
- At least 7 years of technical experience in gender statistics in the context of a National Statistical System;
- Work experience at the national or international level in design, planning, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of development projects;
- Experience of the Senegal National Statistical System is a significant added-value;
- Experience in producing high quality research or policy papers on gender and or gender data at national level and international levels;
- Good hands-on knowledge of statistical software (Excel, SPSS, STATA, etc.)..
- Experience coordinating and liaising with government agencies and/or donors is an asset;
- Experience working in the UN System is an asset;
Fluency in English and French is required.