UNDP is recruiting a Climate Change and Energy Advisor.
UNDP is the knowledge frontier organization for sustainable development in the UN Development System and serves as the integrator for collective action to realize the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). UNDP’s policy work carried out at HQ, Regional and Country Office levels, forms a contiguous spectrum of deep local knowledge to cutting-edge global perspectives and advocacy. Within this context, UNDP invests in a network of field-based and global technical expertise across a wide range of knowledge domains and in support of the signature solutions and organizational capabilities envisioned in the Strategic Plan.
The Climate Change and Energy Specialist is based in Dakar and reports to the global BPPS Team Leader for Energy in New York and the Regional Hub Manager, working in close collaboration with the Energy Advisor and the Climate Change Team in Addis. S/he will provide intellectual and strategic leadership as well as technical guidance on Climate Change and Energy issues for UNDP in the region, and represent UNDP in the wider Climate Change and Energy communities of practice, including with UN system, bilateral partners, external experts, etc.
In collaboration with other technical Advisors and Specialists in the Addis Regional Hub, Country Offices in Africa and UNDP’s wider Global Policy Network (GPN), s/he is responsible for leading the provision of technical expertise and policy and programme advisory services to Country Offices, supporting the implementation of the regional program and, where appropriate, with key UN and external partners. S/he responds to requests from Country Offices under the guidance of the Regional Hub Manager, and in collaboration with corporate support providers, such as the SDG Integrator and Engagement teams. Working to ensure quality and coherent policy and programme advisory services within their region and across other regions, as well as alignment with the Strategic Plan, the Climate Change and Energy Specialist advances the credibility and recognition of UNDP’s capabilities in this knowledge domain and associated communities of practice.
Duties and Responsibilities
Summary of Key Functions
- Substantive delivery of technical assistance, policy development and programme support
- Substantive development of tools and resources, from across UNDP’s network of expertise
- Knowledge management and community of practice networking
- Advocacy and partner engagement for effective policy positioning in the region
1. Substantive delivery of technical assistance, policy development and programme support:
- Provide policy advisory and programming services primarily to COs within the region, that respond to country office needs, including through the provision of capacity building and backstopping to COs and UNCTs;
- Work with the Regional Bureau’s Country Advisors to ensure relevant, timely and multi-disciplinary response to country needs for policy services;
- Collaborate substantively with COs and Regional Programmes to achieve regional/CO strategic goals and plans by supporting relevant regional initiatives and promoting synergies with the regional programmes;
- Provide support to COs in project design, planning, implementation, monitoring, evaluation and results reporting in line with RBM guidelines, and support quality assurance, risk management and due diligence processes;
- Provide sector specific and technical policy advice;
- Ensure risks are monitored and managed across the portfolio of advisory engagements;
- Contribute to developing the capacity of national counterparts in support of achieving the Strategic Plan and other internationally agreed development goals as it relates to the Climate Change and Energy knowledge domains;
- Advise on resource mobilization and coordinate approvals, as required
- Lead the formulation of funding proposals, donor briefings and presentations in support of UNDP resource mobilization efforts for Africa.
2. Substantive development of tools and resources, from across UNDP’s network of expertise:
- Provide technical expertise in identifying tools, developing methodologies and producing knowledge management products linked to climate change and energy policy;
- Provide technical expertise on the content development for regional/CO knowledge products through the analysis of data, case evidence, and research findings in accordance with corporate standards;
- Contribute to the identification and scoping of technical issues warranting collaboration with HQ and regional teams to research, develop and share knowledge-based tools, such as policy positions/practice notes/concept papers and other research-based products to influence/advance policy dialogue in the knowledge domain and present UNDP’s knowledge assets and capabilities at global and regional forums;
- Work closely with policy teams in HQ to advance research, testing and roll-out of newly commissioned policy/business development initiatives, by providing the regional perspective/specificities as well as experience-based insights on what is of most practical value for national counterparts and regional leaders;
- Design and deliver training on programming tools including by developing training packs for COs to facilitate innovation learning, foster and encourage policy innovation and continuous improvement to enhance programme delivery.
3. Knowledge management and community of practice networking:
- Contribute to the continuous analysis, documentation, codification of regional results/lessons learned;
- Review regional data, case evidence and research findings to distill pivotal lessons for UNDP globally;
- Advocate and enable South-South facilitation of exchanges and experiences sharing where valuable;
- Support the capacity development of UNDP staff in application of tools and practices;
- Development and strengthening of linkages with climate change and energy communities of practice, both inside and outside of the UN system.
4. Advocacy and partner engagement for effective policy positioning in the region:
- Advocate the application of ground-breaking climate change and sustainable energy approaches, especially as an integrated approach to achieving the SDGs, in various regional and country fora with a view to deepen related political commitment and related reforms;
- Represent UNDP in the region on partner engagements and interagency coordination in climate change and sustainable energy policy areas;
- Provide technical advice on relationship management of regional partners and resource mobilization in line with UNDP priorities in Africa and corporate guidelines;
- Provide technical advice on mobilizing and fostering external partnerships behind regional initiatives;
- Manage the building of strategic alliances and partnerships, especially with key think tanks and non-governmental organizations;
- Ensure UNDP/ Representation at technical inter-agency meetings, academic conferences, donor consultations and other events on climate change and energy;
- Ability to make new and useful ideas work.
- Ability to persuade others to follow.
- Ability to improve performance and satisfaction.
- Ability to listen, adapt, persuade and transform.
- Ability to get things done while exercising good judgement.
- Knowledge of climate change Including climate change international regime) and ability to apply to strategic and/or practical situations.
Sustainable and Renewable Energy:
- Knowledge of sustainable consumption and production patterns and ability to apply to strategic and/or practical situations.
Climate Responsive Technology:
- Knowledge of climate-friendly technologies and ability to apply to strategic and/or practical situations.
Climate and Energy Financing:
- Knowledge of climate finance concepts and instruments, as well as market-based energy financing, and the ability to apply to strategic and/or practical situations
- Knowledge of energy access concepts and/or issues and the ability to apply to strategic and/or practical situations.
- Knowledge of impact of Energy issues within a humanitarian-development nexus
Sustainable Development Goals:
- Knowledge of the Sustainable Development Goals and the ability to apply to strategic and/or practical situations.
- Ability to substantively engage and foster networks with academia, research institutions, and think tanks.
- Ability to capture, develop, share and effectively use information and knowledge.
Collaboration & Partnerships:
- Ability to develop, maintain, and strengthen partnerships with others inside (Programmes/projects) or outside the organization who can provide information, assistance, and support. Sets overall direction for the formation and management of strategic relationships contributing to the overall positioning of UNDP
Management & Coordination:
- Ability to manage and coordinate campaigns and people with inspiration. Believe in and promote diversity in the workplace and reshaping the workforce to meet need.
Required Skills and Experience
- A Master’s degree, preferably in energy, climate change, international development, law, international affairs, business administration, development economics, or other relevant field, or extensive compensating experience in in relevant, technical fields.
- A minimum of 7 years of relevant experience in either public sectors (national or multilateral, including UN), private (academia, non-governmental sector, corporate), with increasing level of responsibility;
- Track record and technical/advisory experience in the UN System related to climate change and energy desirable;
- Excellent negotiating and communication skills and ability to mobilize support from a wide range of partners (public, private, academic, civil society, business community leaders);
- Proven track record of management and resource mobilization skills
- Working experience in Africa required.
- French proficiency,
- English highly desirable.
Vacancy End Date : 21/05/2019 (Midnight New York, USA)