UNFPA is hiring a Technical Adviser, Reproductive & Maternal Health.
The Maternal and Reproductive Health Technical Adviser ensures the effective management of UNFPA activities in the areas of sexual and reproductive health and rights with a focus on integrated Sexual and Reproductive Health (SRH) policy, rights-based family planning, midwifery workforce development, and Reproductive Health Commodity Security (RHCS) in the context of South-South and triangular cooperation (SSTC). S/he leads SRH programme formulation and evaluation, joint programming initiatives and provides advisory for national development frameworks across the West & Central Africa region. S/he leads strengthening strategic partnerships in the area of sexual and reproductive health for UNFPA’s mandate and programme delivery through proactive engagement, policy advocacy, resource mobilization and effective communication.
Main Tasks & Responsibilities of the Technical Adviser, Reproductive & Maternal Health
You would be responsible for:
A. Technical Support and Leadership
- Contribute to the substantive elaboration of UNFPA Strategic Plan and to its implementation in West and Central Africa region;
- Contribute to the development and implementation of an integrated strategy for the delivery of technical assistance and programme support;
- Provide technical and related programme leadership, management advice and strategic support and guidance to the region, in the context of the MDGs, and including for emergency preparedness, humanitarian assistance, recovery and transition, in collaboration with technical and programme staff in Headquarter and country offices;
- Provide technical and related programme leadership, in planning, managing and coordinating technical assistance to the region at key stages of UNFPA, UN, and national development planning exercises;
- Identify and analyze trends, threats and risks in the thematic area of work that may affect the ICPD agenda and UNFPA’s work within the region;
- Scan the environment in the region to identify trends, and ensure that they are appropriately addressed at the regional and/or national levels;
- Identify requirements for and contribute to the development of new or updated policies, positioning, frameworks, guidance, standards, instruments and tools;
- Advise on the implementation of substantive UNFPA policies and strategies in the region, and provide an effective integrated technical and programming approach;
- Participate in the UNFPA technical network, maintaining communication and feedback loops on all substantive work;
- Analyze technical and other substantive reports from the region and recommend required follow-up actions; contribute to review of CPDs;
- Identify and provide evidence-based advice, on UNFPA’s comparative role and specific contribution in the changing development agenda, and participate in policy dialogue.
B. Capacity Development
- Initiate, develop, strengthen and monitor substantive and intellectual regional partnerships in related programme areas, the promotion for South-South technical support to countries and for the implementation of the regional programme;
- Develop and manage partnerships and collaborations with other UN agencies, within the context of the UNDG, UNDOCO, particularly with the HHA section of the RDT of UN agencies covering the region;
- Support the regional adaptation of training materials, manuals and tools in the substantive area, ensure their availability and promote their use for capacity development;
- Organize regional and inter-country training activities in the substantive area and related programme matters for capacity development;
- Support the development of regional institutional capacities for delivering high-quality technical support in select areas of UNFPA’s mandate;
- Coach and manage junior professional staff, associates, interns, direct experts, consultants and facilitate working groups and task teams.
C. Evidence and knowledge development and dissemination
- Identify areas for research and lead the analysis and synthesis of substantive trends, emerging needs and research findings in the region in order to produce new and cutting edge technical knowledge;
- Prepare white papers, briefing and materials for evidence-based policy dialogues at regional or country levels;
- Disseminate and promote the use of state-of-the-art technical knowledge, evidence, lessons learned, and success stories and ensure their use to improve the effectiveness of UNFPA operations;
- Facilitate and help to maintain and make accessible data collected on best practices and partnerships;
- Provide joint technical support in collaboration with UN agencies at the request of COs and/or UNCTs.
D. Policy Dialogue and Technical Representation
- Provide inputs to efforts to mobilize additional resources for SRH in the region, in coordination with the resource mobilization team;
- Represent UNFPA on SRH-related issues in the region and elaborate UNFPA’s substantive regional and global perspectives;
- Participate in policy dialogues, and advocate for substantive issues in international, inter-governmental, UN, and other policy and technical meetings and fora at the regional or global levels;
- Collaborate on substantive issues with UN agencies, academia, research and training institutions, think-tanks, centres of excellence, professional societies in the region, and act as focal point for inter-agency working groups in the substantive area;
Carry out any other duties, as may be required by UNFPA leadership.
Qualifications and Experience
Advanced university degree or equivalent in Public Health, Medicine, Sociology, Health Systems/Economics, or other fields directly related to Sexual and Reproductive Health.
Knowledge and Experience:
- Responsible professional experience in the substantive area, of which seven years at the international level;
- Proven experience in Family Planning and EmOC is essentialHealth systems strengthening experience, health sector reform;
- Basic understanding of health economics/health financing;
- Knowledge and understanding of quality of care, specifically client rights issues and BCC;
- Understanding of Human Rights dimensions of Reproductive Health/Family Planning and gender;
- Demonstrated expertise in the substantive area of work; and programme experience;
- Strong track record of technical leadership, and proven ability to produce demonstrable results;
- Demonstrated ability to network within the academic and development community;
- Familiarity with management and monitoring tools;
- Field experience (at district, regional and national levels) is strongly desirable.
Fluency in English and French is required.
Knowledge of other official UN languages, preferably Spanish, would be a plus.
- Exemplifying integrity
- Demonstrating commitment to UNFPA and the UN system
- Embracing diversity in all its forms
- Embracing change
- Achieving Results
- Being Accountable
- Developing and Applying Professional Expertise/Business Acumen
- Thinking analytically and Strategically
- Working in Teams/Managing Ourselves and our Relationships
- Communicating for Impact
- Advocacy/Advancing a policy-oriented agenda;
- Delivering results-based programmes;
- Providing conceptual innovation to support programme effectiveness;
- Providing a technical support system;
- Strengthening the programming capacity of Country Offices;
- Facilitating quality programmatic results;
- Internal and external relations and advocacy for resources mobilization;
- Creating visibility for the organization.
- Engaging internal/external partners and Stakeholders;
- Leading, developing and empowering people / creating a culture of performance;
- Making decisions and exercising judgment.
- Contract type : Fixed-Term Appointment (*)
- Duration: One year renewable
- Closing date : 21 May 2019