Site Mastercard Foundation
Mastercard Foundation is hiring a Vice President, Country Business Development, Francophone Sub Saharan Africa, Dakar, Senegal.
We work to connect and power an inclusive, digital economy that benefits everyone, everywhere by making transactions safe, simple, smart and accessible. Using secure data and networks, partnerships and passion, our innovations and solutions help individuals, financial institutions, governments and businesses realize their greatest potential. Our decency quotient, or DQ, drives our culture and everything we do inside and outside of our company. We cultivate a culture of inclusion for all employees that respects their individual strengths, views, and experiences. We believe that our differences enable us to be a better team – one that makes better decisions, drives innovation and delivers better business results.
Vice President, Country Business Development, Francophone Sub Saharan Africa
VP, Country Business Development – French Speaking Sub-Saharan Africa FSSA
Job Description Summary
Working within MasterCard’s business group model, the Country Manager is responsible for the general management from a customer, employee and regulatory perspective in the countries and is accountable for the business proposition in the designated markets. The CM, as a leader in the business, has the accountability for the functions and business objectives, as assigned by the business group to whom the leader reports.
The CM will define the country strategic direction, together with divisional and regional leadership; he/she contributes to the overall growth and success of the company through growth initiatives and implementation of the company strategy.
MasterCard customers and partners demand more than simple promotions, pricing and “cocktail banking”; they are looking for strategic as well as direct quantitative impact on their business. MasterCard seeks to add value in this respect, by truly understanding the stakeholders’ business objectives.
- Accountability for the business objectives and P&L for the FSSA geography, as assigned by the business group to whom the leader reports.
- Define the markets’ country strategic direction, together with Divisional and Regional leadership; contributing to the overall growth and success of the company through growth initiatives and implementation of the company strategy.
- Strategic input into business development, and ongoing management of deal for (`both existing as well as potential new customers). This includes input into the structure of the deal, as well as reviewing the strategic merits, effectiveness, chance of customer success and financial benefit to MasterCard, in association with planning and the respective business development team.
- Forge strong interpersonal influence and alliances at all levels both within and outside the organization, especially at CXO levels in customer, regulator and partner organisations.
- Manage all customer facing teams and staff, fostering a strong, dynamic and performance-oriented culture that also executes against a formal “Value Driver Selling” process.
- Manage (jointly with divisional functional leaders) all functional teams that directly support the
- Lead the running of the Dakar, Senegal and Abidjan, Cote D’Ivoire offices, providing leadership as well as day-to-day support on all high priority projects and initiatives.
Financial objectives: Directly responsible for the P&L of the FSSA business across all business lines; Identify and deliver on opportunities for revenue growth and be accountable for financial compliance and maintenance of acceptable audit standards.
- Stakeholder Relationship Management Act as the senior face-in-the-market and direct owner for all engagements with customers, business partners, retailers, regulatory authorities and external relations.
- Ownership for all for all accounts operating in the market; provide business direction to the national accounts which reports directly and provide market guidance to regional accounts and global accounts operating in the country
- Provide leadership for the tactical and strategic approach to market for marketing, product, customer delivery and market development activities including campaigns, channel development, public relations, media and press and the overall Mastercard brand for consistency in engagement, distribution and fulfillment locally.
- Regulatory: work closely with Divisional and Regional regulatory teams to:
- Act as the prime representative to local authorities and industry boards in line with the corporate, regulatory and public affairs strategy.
- Establish and maintain effective relationships with regulators across all the markets in FSSA in order to deal with challenging regulatory scenarios.
- Develop a good understanding of regulatory issues and relationships with the central banks and other key regulatory stakeholders.
- Monitor the general economic, competitive forces and payments environment, anticipating consequences and trends, in order to create competitive breakthrough strategies and plans.
- Accountable for resources optimization (local operations) and for the health and safety regulations and matters such as legal reporting requirements, working with appropriate support functions.
- Responsible for the workplace environment and building and maintaining employee engagement and satisfaction.
- Responsible for communications locally in line with corporate communications strategy and content.
- Employee Relations/Management: mentor new & existing employees in terms of understanding Mastercard, our business models (including key profitability drivers, for both the financial institution as well as Mastercard) and culture.
- Elevate the MasterCard relationship with customers, from divisional managers and directors, to Bank executives, CEO and Divisional COOs. Guiding and assisting others to achieve more of a trusted advisor relationship is essential.
- The business is in a high growth phase with ambitions to drive this growth rate higher. Hence leading and developing the teams in the business is of critical importance.
- Serve as an “advisor” for business leaders and remote management for business groups and functions operating in the country with matrixed or parallel reporting lines, to ensure consistency of business objectives and operations
- Monitor overall employee performance against objectives and pursue corrective measures with the appropriate management, as required
- Ensure appropriate deployment of company policies, procedures and processes in the local country office.
- Exercise sound financial management; implement and monitor internal controls in the country operations.
Qualifications & Experience
- Bi-lingual with fluent written and spoken French and English language skills
- University degree. Advanced degree preferred.
- Strong experience in significant general management / business development roles in the retail banking payments or fintechs space. Experience within the IT, Consulting, Telecom or Retail industries may be relevant if the individual has managed Bank relationships.
- Knowledge of Bank payment systems would be an advantage.
- Global / International experience beyond the home market.
Due to COVID-19, most of our employees are working from home. We’ve implemented a virtual hiring process and continue to interview candidates by phone or video and are onboarding new hires remotely. We value the safety of each member of our community because we know we’re all in this together.
Mastercard is an inclusive Equal Employment Opportunity employer that considers applicants without regard to gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, ethnicity, disabled or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
If you require accommodations or assistance to complete the online application process, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org and identify the type of accommodation or assistance you are requesting. Do not include any medical or health information in this email. The Reasonable Accommodations team will respond to your email promptly.
Corporate Security Responsibility
Every person working for, or on behalf of, Mastercard is responsible for information security. All activities involving access to Mastercard assets, information, and networks comes with an inherent risk to the organization and therefore, it is expected that the successful candidate for this position must:
- Abide by Mastercard’s security policies and practices;
- Ensure the confidentiality and integrity of the information being accessed;
- Report any suspected information security violation or breach, and
- Complete all periodic mandatory security trainings in accordance with Mastercard’s guidelines.
Closing date : 1rst December 2021.