Plan International recruits a Project Manager – Ethiopia
Location: Addis Ababa, AA, ET
Plan International is an independent non-profit organization that advances children’s well-being and equality for girls. Working in building powerful partnerships for children for over 75 years and present in 70 countries, Plan International strives for a just world, tackling the root causes of the challenges facing girls and all vulnerable children while working together with children, young people, our supporters and partners. Plan International Ethiopia is looking for Project Manager (Social Behavioural Change Communication /Demand creation ) for Country Office who will be reporting to the WASH Program Lead.
The position holder also delivers adequate support and assistance for the implementation of the project communication strategy with an aim of enhancing the overall achievement of the program through internal and external communications and public relations activities that build visibility, and brand; increase knowledge and awareness of program goal and Plan in Ethiopia within different audiences, and that support key business processes including but not limited to program communication, knowledge management and learning.
- The project holder is responsible to manage the overall project strategic role, implementation role project staff management and leading role, external and internal communication including donor communication and communication among and with project consortium member.
- Responsible to Provide leadership and technical expertise to design, develop and monitor SBCC strategies for improved sanitation product and service in collaboration with the government offices and selected institutions, through a mentoring, learning by doing approach
- Lead, coach and supervise project staff to develop and implement SBCC strategies
- Support the development of innovative new approaches to SBCC, including use of Information and Communication Technology
- Support design and implementation of SBCC-specific capacity building activities to partners and front line health extension works
- Contribute to capacity building , formative researching and gap and lesson identification activities
- Oversees, financial, and operational management of the project, ensuring accurate and timely financial reporting, budget monitoring, and compliance with USAID procedures in all financial, contractual, and procurement activities.
- Prepare quarterly and annual reports as required, detailing the performance of the SBCC program, including reports and others as directed
- Support and assist country Program Quality Department, including M and E team in proper data monitoring, analysis and reporting pertaining to respective project initiative
- Integrate and implement broader Social and Behaviour Change Communication (SBCC) strategy in to improved WASH product market activities into project’s
- Monitor WASH demand creation activities according to the M&E framework, and assess whether are achieving desired goals
- Contribute to all WASH content for reports and meet all reporting requirements.
- Gather feedback on implementation of SBCC strategies in piloted districts and provide technical support, when necessary
- She/he will ensure a smooth working environment and teamwork within Plan International Ethiopia, the respective field staff and across the Transform WASH partners;
- VSLA groups and WASH product and service construction and implementation follow up, Guidance and integration with the social behavioural change activities.
- Build the technical Capacity of district office, Kebele Administrators, HEWs, and other local level actors using proven approaches, according the national strategy, to promote demand creation for improved sanitation and health hygienic behaviour
- Shall perform any other duties as assigned by his line manager, the sponsorship and Communication Manager and/or the CD.
- Ensures that Plan International’s global policies for Child Protection (CPP) and Gender Equality and Inclusion (GEI) are fully embedded in accordance with the principles and requirements of the policy including relevant Implementation Standards and Guidelines as applicable to their area of responsibility. This includes, but is not limited to, ensuring staff and associates are aware of and understand their responsibilities under these policies and Plan International’s Code of Conduct (CoC), their relevance to their area of work, and that concerns are reported and managed in accordance with the appropriate procedures.
- Working in Coordination with relevant government ministries, projects and working groups
- Support relevant trainings, meeting and workshops relative to WASH at the national, department, district and community levels.
- Provide strategic, technical, guidance for the transform WASH program and work closely and in collaboration and sector sharing and learning to and with the consortium members ;
- Conduct regular reporting to the WASH lead, and consortium prime, on periodic reports and planning’s, successes, challenges and lessons learned.
- Work closely with program leadership team to plan program activities
- Ensure quality project delivery at all levels of the project cycle management in line with the child centered community development approach.
- Provide strategic, technical, and managerial guidance for the regional SBCC coordinators and transform WASH project staffs;
- Ensure optimum community involvement (district health office and kebele Administration) in the conceptualization, development, management, monitoring and evaluation of projects.
- Comply with USAID requirements, PQP implementation, and fund & grant management guidelines. Monitor project implementation processes, coordinate evaluations, share learning, and document best practices; ensure project learning and achievements are documented and disseminated widely
- Shall perform and support any other duties as assigned by s/his line manager, and WASH program lead.
- Builds and maintains effective relationships with their team, colleagues, Members and external partners and supporters.
Technical expertise, skills and knowledge
Educational Qualification and Experience
- Master’s degree in communications, public health, behaviour change communications, social marketing, human development; secondarily in public health and nutrition, nursing sciences and/or related development studies; or equivalent combination of education and work experience in the context of SBCC or Related Field
- A minimum of 12 years of relevant SBCC technical, demand creation, program/project leadership experience primarily in the context of an SBCC project or program;
- Demonstrated experience and acceptability in working with government, NGOs, and donors. Experience.
- Proven leadership, mentoring, teamwork, partnering skills (facilitating dialogue and communications across diverse sectors, institutions, and geographic administrative levels)
- Preferably including experience with the use of mass media and social networks to influence and gain public support, the negotiation and formation of alliances across interest groups;
- Previous experience of managing and developing a multi-disciplinary team. Focus on WASH, Social Product Marketing
- Demonstrated experience working with community groups to change behaviour
- Or small businesses to improve business practices and messaging,
- Knowledge of the water, sanitation and hygiene sector.
- Highest level knowledge of SBCC and its application to programs.
- Specific experience in CLTS and WASH marketing highly desired
- In-depth knowledge of project cycle management and child centred community development programming.
- Knowledge of development issues, trends, challenges and opportunities and implications to community development.
- Knowledge of effective participatory Monitoring, Evaluation and lesson learning systems and the process of project cycle management.
- Working experience with USAID funded WASH projects advantageous
Please, click here to apply.
The closing date for the application is November 29, 2018.
This position is only open to Ethiopian Nationals, who must be eligible to live and work in Ethiopia.
Please note that:
- Applications and CVs written in English will be accepted and
- Shortlisted candidates will be contacted..
Early application is encouraged as we will review applications throughout the advertising period and reserve the right to close the advert early.