Interested in a career in Graphic Design? This professional certificate from California Institute of the Arts (CALARTS) is for you. Make Compelling Design. Learn and apply the principles of graphic design towards a comprehensive branding project and advance your career.
Calarts’s Professional Certificate in Graphic Design
Graphic design is all around us, in a myriad of forms, both on screen and in print, yet it is always made up of images and words to create a communication goal. This four-course sequence exposes students to the fundamental skills required to make sophisticated graphic design: process, historical context, and communication through image-making and typography. The sequence is completed by a capstone project that applies the skills of each course and peer feedback in a finished branding project suitable for a professional portfolio.
The goal of this specialization is to equip learners with a set of transferable formal and conceptual tools for “making and communicating” in the field of graphic design. This core skill set will equip learners for formal studies in graphic design, and a starting point for further work in interface design, motion graphics, and editorial design.
Available in English, Spanish, French, Portuguese (Brazilian), Russian, Serbian.
What you’ll learn
- Gain the fundamental skills needed to be a graphic designer
- Communicate through image-making and typography
- Complete a capstone project to add to your professional portfolio
- Learn everything you need to know to work in interface design, motion graphics, and editorial design
Calarts’s Professional Certificate in Graphic Design program
There are 5 courses in this professional certificate program:
- Fundamentals of Graphic Design: Graphic Design is all around us! Words and pictures—the building blocks of graphic design—are the elements that carry the majority of the content in both the digital world and the printed world. As graphic design becomes more visible and prevalent in our lives, graphic design as a practice becomes more important in our culture.
- Introduction to Typography: Typography is the art of manipulating the visual form of language to enrich and control its meaning. It’s an essential area of skill and knowledge for graphic designers. Typography predates modern graphic design by around 500 years; it is rich in rules, conventions, and esoteric terminology—but it remains an exciting space for invention and expression.
- Introduction to Imagemaking: This course for serious makers, and for students new to imagemaking. Imagemaking is a fluid and exciting area of graphic design that comes out of practice and process: experimenting fearlessly, showing and sharing ideas, and giving and receiving knowledgeable and constructive input.
- Ideas from the History of Graphic Design: This condensed survey course focuses on four key periods or themes from the history of design. Together we’ll trace the emergence of design as a recognized practice, why things look the way they do, and how designers approached specific design problems in their work.
- Brand New Brand: This course is the culmination of the Graphic Design Specialization and gives you an opportunity to tie together your knowledge and skills into a single project: a brand development guide for a company you will invent.