The UNHCR is recruiting a Protection Officer – Chad.
UNHCR places the highest importance on the provision of effective protection to children and youth of concern, with children and youth representing more than half of the persons falling under its mandate. UNHCR uses a rights and community-based approach, with a strong emphasis on inclusion within national child protection and education systems and services, to address the protection needs of children and youth of concern. Child protection is recognized as global organizational priority for UNHCR. Dedicated child protection staff positions are needed to provide technical support to improve UNHCR’s operational capacity to deliver effective protection to children, adolescents and youth of concern.
The Protection Officer (Child Protection) is a member of the protection team in a Country or Sub-Office. He/she may report to the Senior Protection Officer, Senior Protection Officer (Community-based), Head of Sub-Office or to the Assistant Representative for Protection. In smaller Offices, the post may report directly to the Representative. The incumbent has direct supervisory responsibility for child protection staff. He/she provides functional child protection oversight to information management and programme staff. The incumbent works directly with communities and children of concern to identify the risks they face and to leverage their capacities to protect themselves, their families and communities. The incumbent also acts as an advisor to senior management in designing a child protection strategy that fits within the broader Protection and Solutions Strategy by ensuring that it is based on consultation with persons of concern, including children, adolescents and youth. The incumbent plans and undertakes quality, timely and effective child protection responses in line with UNHCR’s Framework for Child Protection, in an age, gender and diversity inclusive manner.
- Undergraduate degree (equivalent of a BA/BS) in International Law, Human Rights, International Development, International Relations, Anthropology, Social Work, Political or Social Science or other clearly related disciplines plus minimum 6 years of previous work experience relevant to the function of which 2 years in the field. At least 2 years of progressively responsible experience in the field of protection of children, broader protection or social work involving children and youth, with knowledge of issues relating to child protection, education, gender, humanitarian and development issues, and SGBV prevention and response. Graduate degree (equivalent of a Master¿s) plus 5 years or Doctorate degree (equivalent of a PhD) plus 4 years of previous relevant work experience may also be accepted.
- Strong experience in interacting with and building partnerships and synergies with UN agencies, NGOs and civil society organizations.
- Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English.
Desirable qualifications and competencies
- Diverse field operational experience.
- Good IT skills including database management skills.
- Proven communication skills, both oral and written.
- Demonstrated knowledge of community communication and engagement approaches.
- Extensive experience in working directly with children, adolescents and youth.
- Demonstrated coordination and consensus building skills to manage multiple stakeholder consultation processes.
- Training and coaching skills/facilitation of learning.
- Inter-agency experience.
- Experience managing child protection case management programmes, including implementation of best interests procedures.
- Experience using GBVIMS, CPIMS or other protection data management systems.
- Knowledge of additional UN languages.
How to apply
Please, click here to apply
Please note that the closing date for vancancies in the Addendum 2 is Sunday 16 December 2018 (midnight Geneva time)
The UNHCR is recruiting a Protection Officer – Chad
Décrochez plus d’entretiens de recrutement avec le service de rédaction de CV professionnel et lettre de motivation de notre partenaire TopCV. Commandez votre CV professionnel.