Under the general supervision of the Management Officer, the incumbent is responsible for the Human Resources (HR) program in Johannesburg, and provides guidance to the American and Locally Employed (LE) Staff Employees on all HR matters. The portfolio includes, but is not limited to, the responsibility for recruitment, local staff performance management, local awards program, and advising staff on HR matters. The position is also responsible for the check-in and check-out process for both LE Staff and American staff.
Qualifications and Evaluations
Experience : Minimum of two years’ progressively responsible experience in Human Resources is required.
- Thorough knowledge of US Government HR Management procedures is required.
- A thorough knowledge of local labor laws is required. Broad knowledge of standard business organizational relationships is required.
- Good working knowledge of accepted business practices, office procedures, and business correspondence formatting is required.
Education Requirements: Two years college/university in general studies is required.
- Language : Level 4 (Fluent) Speaking/Reading/Writing of English is required. (This may be tested.)
- Level 3 (Good Working Knowledge) Speaking/Reading/Writing of one additional South African official language is required.
- Skills and abilities : Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to interact with people within and outside of organization. Excellent customer service, organizational and time management skills are required.
- Must possess good judgment and analytical skills, and be able to advise on complex and sensitive issues while maintaining confidentiality and discretion.Must be proficient with Microsoft Suites. (This may be tested).
- Typing skills with speed and accuracy required.
- Numerical skills required.
- Must have attention to detail.
Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO)
The U.S. Mission provides equal opportunity and fair and equitable treatment in employment to all people without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, political affiliation, marital status, or sexual orientation.
All applicants under consideration will be required to pass medical and security certifications.
Benefits and Other Info
Locally Employed Staff, including Members of Household (MOHs), and Third-Country Nationals (TCNs), working at the U.S. Mission in South Africa may receive a compensation package that may include health, separation, and other benefits.
For EFMs, benefits should be discussed with the Human Resources Office.
The pay plan is assigned at the time of the conditional offer letter by the HR Office.
All candidates must be able to obtain and hold a Public Trust clearance.
To apply for this position click the “Submit Application” button. For more information on how to apply visit the Mission internet site.
- Please provide the required documentation listed below with your application:
- Copy of Orders/Assignment Notification (or equivalent)
- Residency and/or Work Permit
- Passport copy
- Degree (not transcript)
- DD-214 – Member Copy 4, Letter from Veterans’ Affairs, or other supporting documentation (if applicable)
- SF-50 (if applicable)
Click here to apply before 30 November 2018.
Applicants who are invited to take a language or skills test, or who are selected for an interview will be contacted via email.
For further information – the complete position description listing all of the duties, responsibilities, required qualifications, etc. may be obtained by contacting the Human Resources Office.Thank you for your application and your interest in working at the U.S. Mission in South Africa.