World Bank Group is hiring a Senior Economist for Abidjan, Côte D’ivoire.
About the World Bank Group:
Established in 1944, the WBG is one of the world’s largest sources of funding and knowledge for development solutions. In fiscal year 2018, the WBG committed $67 billion in loans, grants, equity investments and guarantees to its members and private businesses, of which $24 billion was concessional finance to its poorest members. It is governed by 188-member countries and delivers services out of 120 offices with nearly 15,000 staff located globally.
The WBG consists of five specialized institutions: the International Bank for Reconstruction and Development (IBRD), the International Development Association (IDA), the International Finance Corporation (IFC), the Multilateral Investment Guarantee Agency (MIGA), and the International Centre for the Settlement of Investment Disputes (ICSID). The World Bank is organized into six client-facing Regional Vice-Presidencies, several corporate functions and thirteen Global Practices to bring best-in-class knowledge and solutions to regional and country clients.
Background / General description:
Do you want to build a career that is truly worthwhile? Working at the World Bank provides a unique opportunity for you to help our clients solve their greatest development challenges. The World Bank consists of two entities – the International Bank for Reconstruction and Development (IBRD) and the International Development Association (IDA). It is a global development cooperative owned by 189 member countries. As the largest development bank in the world, the World Bank provides loans, guarantees, risk management products, and advisory services to middle-income and creditworthy low-income countries, and coordinates responses to regional and global challenges. For more information, visit www.worldbank.org.
The Global Practice for Macro Trade & Investment (MTI) comprises about 450 staff working across more than 120 countries. Almost half of MTI professional staff are decentralized to the field working closely with the Country Management Units (CMUs) and in proximity to the clients! MTI professionals often work across sectors helping carry out key integrative functions. In this context, we are responsible for the preparation and delivery of the majority of the Bank’s Development Policy Operations using both IDA and IBRD resources. We also lead or participate in a wide variety of AAA-Analytic and Advisory Activities and client advisory work requiring integrative functions that add to the core Macroeconomic expertise.
The EA2M1 unit covers work in 13 countries within the Africa Region, including the Senegal (AFCF1), Côte d’Ivoire (AFCF2), and Mali (AFCW3) Country Management Units (CMU). This position is for the internationally recruited position based in Abidjan, as Senior Economist for Cote d’Ivoire.
Your Duties and Accountabilities at the World Bank Group
- Direct the macroeconomic policy dialogue with Government authorities and development partners.
- Take a lead in the preparation of Development Policy Operations (DPOs) and Advisory Services and Analytics (ASA).
- Lead IDA’s engagement with the country on its overall policy reform program.
- Represent the Bank in its relationship with the IMF on the macroeconomic framework for the country as well as in the preparation of joint World Bank-IMF debt sustainability analyses.
- Lead within the country team a variety of country economist tasks such as the annual Country Policy and Institutional Assessment (CPIA) exercise, preparation of the Macro Poverty Outlook (MPO), regular macroeconomic monitoring, and contribute to Country Partnership Strategies.
- Work with the EFI Program Leader, participate in the dialogue with development partners.
The Senior Economist profile
For this position, you should have demonstrated outstanding technical skills, a capacity to operate successfully across sectors and with other development partners, and first-rate interpersonal skills! You must be able to interact effectively with senior members of the government, senior officials of donor governments, across Bank GPs, and with Bank senior management.
- Minimum of a Master’s degree in Economics with eight years of relevant professional experience (A completed PhD is equivalent to 3 years of relevant professional experience).
- Strong technical skills on macro-fiscal and growth issues and a consistent record in delivering high quality and technically sophisticated analytical work.
- Strong operational and policy dialogue skills; delivering high quality Development Policy Operations.
- Strong integrative skills in order to support the CMU in articulating its strategic thinking on economic growth and poverty reduction and to articulate a coherent policy dialogue with the authorities.
- Sense of initiative, results orientation, team work and leadership qualities, and ability to work effectively across sectors/GPs.
- Strong communication skills, including the ability to speak persuasively and to present ideas clearly and concisely with senior authorities.
Poverty has no borders. Neither does excellence. This is why we continually search for qualified individuals with diverse backgrounds from around the globe. We are proud to be an equal opportunity and inclusive employer with a dedicated and committed workforce, and do not discriminate based on gender, gender identity, religion, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, or disability.
Décrochez plus d’entretiens de recrutement avec le service de rédaction de CV professionnel et lettre de motivation de notre partenaire TopCV. Commandez votre CV professionnel.